Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 07:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bunch of ideas  (Read 4532 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Bunch of ideas
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:36 »

Okay, I've playing DoomRL for a while now (without bigger success, though- only one win) and, well, there is a few things that I would be really glad to see in game:

1. Invulnerability and berserk equals Badass - Okay, it seems strange for me that even if you are un-killable or nearly un-killable and immune to pain your health still drops if it is over 100%. What I suggest is that Berserk Globes and Inv. Globes grants you Badass (3) for the duration of their effect. It is not a big change, but a sensible one, I think.

2. Hell's Arena rewards- I suggest that beating Arena level 3 would give 50% chance that one of its rewards turns into unique weapon or armor. Just like in Hell's Armoury. Well, Arena rewards are rather small, compared to it's hardness, at least for me, and I usually skip it. But, if this would get implemented, entering the Arena and risking your life there would become much more interesting option.

3. Unique destroyed message- This is rather cosmetic- if an unique gets destroyed due to some unlucky accident, barrel for example, you would receive a message, something like "You feel that something valuable was lost". It save your time when you're searching for an unique which is long gone.

4. Second advanced pistol for AoM- Simple- second advanced pistol is guarantee to spawn on level 10 in AoM runs. It would make it easier for all those unlucky ones, who can't find an unique pistol on the whole run.

BTW: Sorry for my poor grammar, English is not my native tongue.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Bunch of ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 06:51 »

1: Freezing health decay for Invulnerability sounds about right, but I'm not so sure about Berserk Packs.

2: I'd go one step further and say that all of the unique levels should have a depth-appropriate unique item as a reward.  I tend to avoid most of the unique levels apart from the Wall, Armoury and H of C since I don't really consider the rewards worth the trouble.

3: Pretty sure this is being implemented.

4: Why not just start the player with two? It won't affect the rate of mod spawning, so it's not like you'll have much more of an advantage than by picking up a normal pistol on Lev1.

Mr_Dead

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 09:06 »

1: Berserk, no.  You're tough, but can still be hurt and even killed.  Invulnerability does sound right though.

2: While I can understand where you're coming from, if implemented it could cause you to receive one of the really good uniques which can cause you to have very few problems for the rest of the game, which should not be allowed.

4: One is enough.  Sorry, but it just is.  You don't need to find another special item to win an AoM run.
Endure.  In enduring grow strong.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:02 »

2: While I can understand where you're coming from, if implemented it could cause you to receive one of the really good uniques which can cause you to have very few problems for the rest of the game, which should not be allowed.

On the other hand, it could be a specific unique, designed as a reward for the level and balanced so that it won't destroy the challenge of the game. For example, beating the Arena could net you. say, the Champion's Armour, a 1-strength armour that gradually regenerates (slower than Malek's, at least), giving you a backup armour in case your better stuff gets destroyed, but not rendering you unstoppable.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:40 »

1: Invuln, sure. Berserk, no.

2: I think the Arena reward is fine (a rocket launcher, no?  So you can be sure you can do The Wall?) but the difficulty needs to get turned down.  Kornel says he's going to nerf Caco accuracy, which should help things (although I still can't see why they deal more damage than a freaking Hell Knight and have the splash radius of a Baron.  I'm begging you, Kornel.)

3: Would be nice

4: I think a single advanced pistol is sufficient - I just wish all the AoM uniques weren't borrowed from anime (anime has no place in Doom)

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:20 »

One, last idea. Or rather a demand.
NO MORE BARREL HELLS WITH UNIQUES! NO MORE!
Kinda speaks for itself.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:16 »

1) I have to agree with the others, the chance you get both invunerability AND berserk is just too small for what it's worth. Plus it also seems more logic that just inv. pauses health decay (you're invunarable anyway, why the hell would you need berserk for that?)

2) Hm, I dunno. I'd say that Hell's Arena is way too early to already find/earn uniques. Plus, the "standard" reward for beating level 3 is rich enough already =)

3) Agreed. If the presence of a unique is mentioned, it's defeat should also be mentioned. d(^^,)

4) Have to agree with the others here too. It's very kind that the game gives you a hand, but you shouldn't expect a whole arm (Hey, this is a Kornel game, remember? You should be happy he doesn't give you a BFG instead on AoMr =P)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 15:54 »

Few more ideas:

-Grab and use/equip command It would be a very nice option to instantly equip/use an item lying at DoomGuy feets. Maybe with a capital 'G'?

-Level feeling for out-of-depth monsters Level feelings are nice. Revenants on level 10 are nice too. So why don't make things nicer overall, and make a level feeling for out-of-depth monster spawn on a given level? "Something is not quite right here..." perhaps?

-Monsters can wield weapons on higher difficulties Monsters can already wield armor, so why not make them able to use weapons on HMP and above? Encountering a BoH with double shotty or some unique (Dragonslayer, har har) could be a interesting experience...

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 23:43 »

Few more ideas:

-Grab and use/equip command It would be a very nice option to instantly equip/use an item lying at DoomGuy feets. Maybe with a capital 'G'?

-Level feeling for out-of-depth monsters Level feelings are nice. Revenants on level 10 are nice too. So why don't make things nicer overall, and make a level feeling for out-of-depth monster spawn on a given level? "Something is not quite right here..." perhaps?

-Monsters can wield weapons on higher difficulties Monsters can already wield armor, so why not make them able to use weapons on HMP and above? Encountering a BoH with double shotty or some unique (Dragonslayer, har har) could be a interesting experience...

#1 and #2 are right.......
but the #3 is......weird (you know that former humans already hold weapons)
also BoH have a ranged attack......so why they could weild another wep?????
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:49 by metroidRL »
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 16:12 »

I remember up to date one funny event during coding. I just implemented pickup and monster inventories. I walk into a room, and there's a former human. Hah, puny former, you shall die! And then he suddenly fires a BFG at me D:. Luckily that's not possible now ^_^

That's why:P

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 16:42 »

Just FYI in versions waaaay back, BoH and HK (and probably other monsters) could and did use picked up weapons. It was removed because it actually made them easier to beat (that, and it was just plain wierd)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 16:46 »

Ok, understood.

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 23:05 »

Other than the plasma rifle and the bfg (and certain uniques0 - I'd probably prefer to be hit by a weapon rather than a monster attack.
Pages: [1]