Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Powerup- Light Amplification  (Read 3491 times)

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
New Powerup- Light Amplification
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:08 »

A relatively useless power-up in Doom, in DoomRL it could basically extend the player's sight radius by a respectable amount for a limited amount of time. I'd leave the specific amount as a balance decision, but I'd say a +5 or so would probably be quite reasonable.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: New Powerup- Light Amplification
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:30 »

I second that, this is like the only powerup that is not yet implemented; And it gives you the qualities of cateye on drugs for a while without even having to choose that trait =)
Very good idea! d(^^,)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:16 »

But powerups lasts not so long (maybe supercharge would be an exception) unless you pick up 4 berserkers @ the chained court. I suggest such powerup should be active until you're in the same stage (it's dark when you go downstairs, so you go back to normal when going to next level). Do you agree?
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:42 »

But powerups lasts not so long (maybe supercharge would be an exception) unless you pick up 4 berserkers @ the chained court. I suggest such powerup should be active until you're in the same stage (it's dark when you go downstairs, so you go back to normal when going to next level). Do you agree?

Certainly not if the effect is +5 sight radius.  No, I think the typical duration is about right for a +5 bonus.  Then again, it doesn't do shotgun players any big favors - even as a chaingunner I might just want a health globe instead 50% of the time.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 15:32 »

I second that, this is like the only powerup that is not yet implemented; And it gives you the qualities of cateye on drugs for a while without even having to choose that trait =)
Very good idea! d(^^,)

Well, that's not exactly true; the Invisibility Artifact is still unimplemented.

Certainly not if the effect is +5 sight radius.  No, I think the typical duration is about right for a +5 bonus.  Then again, it doesn't do shotgun players any big favors - even as a chaingunner I might just want a health globe instead 50% of the time.

I think the main strategic benefit of the powerup would probably be in risk evasion and tactical planning in the more open spaces- you'll be able to plan out movement and combat way in advance of directly engaging enemies. Well, that and rocket sniping.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 17:42 »

I think the main strategic benefit of the powerup would probably be in risk evasion and tactical planning in the more open spaces- you'll be able to plan out movement and combat way in advance of directly engaging enemies. Well, that and rocket sniping.

I'd be for it - I like tactical planning but Intuition 3 is too expensive, and lord knows I don't get to use my rocket launcher half as much as I'd like...

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 15:43 »

Now this is an interesting idea.
Over and Out!

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 12:24 »

Bad marquee! Bad! D:

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 04:49 »

yeah, makes me feel like i'm playing angel of hallucination...
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.
Pages: [1]