Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Head gear!  (Read 8886 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Head gear!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 06:43 »

Helmet only. Apart from that I'm gathering ideas ^^
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 06:51 »

3) Not Doomish? It is Doomish!

No, it's not Doomish, or at least a visor certainly isn't.  Just a helmet would be okay, I guess, but the problem is that even the smallest possible armor value (1) is as big as a whole suit of green armor.  A helmet, then, shouldn't drop until red armor is commonplace.

Let's keep in mind that you're a marine, not some computer-enhanced gizmo-wielding JC Denton.  I'd like to see the game refine & balance its core gameplay
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
instead of adding in gimmick items that can do as much as whole traits.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 07:32 »

Just a helmet would be okay, I guess, but the problem is that even the smallest possible armor value (1) is as big as a whole suit of green armor.  A helmet, then, shouldn't drop until red armor is commonplace.
It doesn't HAVE TO add any armour at all. IMO - it should mainly be a destructible device with charge- or cooldown-based abilities.
You CAN have them early. They would just have a single charge or a massive cooldown.

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 17:36 »

Just a helmet would be okay, I guess, but the problem is that even the smallest possible armor value (1) is as big as a whole suit of green armor.  A helmet, then, shouldn't drop until red armor is commonplace.
It doesn't HAVE TO add any armour at all. IMO - it should mainly be a destructible device with charge- or cooldown-based abilities.
You CAN have them early. They would just have a single charge or a massive cooldown.

More than a single charge would mean a single helmet would be worth three or four phase devices / medkits / computer maps / whatever for no inventory footprint.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 18:02 »

More than a single charge would mean a single helmet would be worth three or four phase devices / medkits / computer maps / whatever for no inventory footprint.
Or two ;). But - yeah - you're absolutely right. I'd suggest that the helmet have 25%-33% of getting damaged along with the armour as you get hit, so that they would still be a portable bunch of medpacks/phase devices or whatever albeit - a destrutible one, as opposed to things that you have in your backpack.
That still doesn't solve the problem 100%. You COULD make such abilities strictly on unique helmets, but then - what would the REGULAR ones do ?
We could simply lower the amount of regular stuff to force the player into using helmets and keep the balance... But that would be drastic.

I have no other ideas at this point. I really hope you guys figure something nice out.

Shinji_Ikari_9th

• Elder
  • Major
  • Lock and load!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 15:28 »

1) I was wondering, how come our super-futuristic space marine doesn't use a helmet and a visor? I postulate that in future releases of DooM RL there should be an inventory slot for a helmet and a visor. What will be benefits/drawbacks?

Helmet:
First of all, wearing a helmet reduces a chance that monsters will score a critical hit on you. Also they grant you some minor protection. However, wearing heavier helmets tend to reduce your perception, they slow you down a bit and even reduce your accuracy. There is even a prototype helmet from UAC, that grants user with great protections, but reduces the line of sight by two...

Visor:
Visors are important piece of marine's equipment. By using special filters, marine can see objects much sharper. It allows to spot enemies in camo much easier. More advanced visors grant user with infrared vision, making it easier to target in dark places (something like intuition, but the area is LoS + 2 spaces)

2) You might be arguing, that visors are something really powerfull. Well they, are. For example, somebody finds a visor, that increases his LoS and grant the smaller intuition. Since I have greater LoS, why the hell should I invest in Cat Eyes? I have smaller version of intuitions. Not only that, visors improved my accuracy.

Imagine a player that has found a visor and invests in other traits. On lower levels of hell, visors get destroyed. What now? We have a marine without Eagle Eye, wihtout Cat Eyes who barely can hit his enemy.
He will quickly get butchered by Arch-viles.

Still to powerfull? Make monsters more powerfull.

3) Not Doomish? It is Doomish!

Sweet.  Maybe have it show less in the direction you came from.
Over and Out!
Pages: 1 [2]  All