Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 18:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: I've been playing lots of DooM 2 recently... [Doomishness]  (Read 14333 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile

And I'm gonna brainstorm ideas for a little while to make DoomRL feel more like DooM and DooM 2 now that it's fresh in my mind.

It's been suggested so much before, but ministuns.
My idea for it is that chainguns make them stall for 0.1 seconds per hit, shotguns make them lose all progress unless you barely nick them (So they have to start the delay over again) and the chainsaw completely paralyses them, unless they're a boss or Arch-Vile.

A debriefing screen for each level? Gives kill count, item count and secret count (Levers pulled). Also how long the level took you in in-game seconds and minutes.

Have a small chance for the room with stairs to be specially made:
  • Only one doorway in or out.
  • Has a demon pack or a similar "Suprise, fucker!" enemy inside, like a pain elemental.
  • Stairs are either square in the middle (If it's a big exit room) or up against the wall opposite the doorway (If it's a small exit room)
  • Doorway is not brown (Possibly dark green?), says "Door - EXIT" when examined, and can't be shot down.

I'm pretty sure the sounds aren't the same in DoomRL and DooM 2. Revanent idle is different, for example.

The rocket launcher in DooM 2 is much more powerful than DoomRL's, at the expense of being very easy to kill yourself with.
I'm not quite sure how you could bring a "Dangerous to the user" element in to a roguelike though, considering you can think before firing.

Alt-Fire for plasma gun: Choose 3 targets to randomly split the shots between. DooM 2 quickly burned this technique in to my mind as a good emergency move.

Alternative to current shotguns:
Shotgun. If you pass a +1 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is reduced by 80%. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Combat Shotgun. If you pass a +3 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is nulled. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Double Shotgun. If you pass a -2 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is halved. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.

This makes shotguns a good alternative to the chaingun (Which they are, even at medium range in DooM 2), but keeps their AoE damage as low as it is right now.
However, this also makes Eagle Eye a staple trait for every single weapon (bar BFG), so I'd suggest removing it and making accuracy rise by 0.5 on levelup instead.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: I've been playing lots of DooM 2 recently... [Doomishness]
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 06:27 »

It's been suggested so much before, but ministuns.
My idea for it is that chainguns make them stall for 0.1 seconds per hit, shotguns make them lose all progress unless you barely nick them (So they have to start the delay over again) and the chainsaw completely paralyses them, unless they're a boss or Arch-Vile.
I think chainguns are well where they are now.
I would propose another thing: Enemies having a favored weapon against them, for example:
Chaingun hits have a chance to stun Cacodemons.
Chainsaw have 100% accuracy against demons.
Shotguns do maximum damage against Mancubus/Arachnotron.
Whatever you can think that's fun but doesn't break game balance.

Have a small chance for the room with stairs to be specially made:

* Only one doorway in or out.
    * Has a demon pack or a similar "Suprise, fucker!" enemy inside, like a pain elemental.
    * Stairs are either square in the middle (If it's a big exit room) or up against the wall opposite the doorway (If it's a small exit room)
    * Doorway is not brown (Possibly dark green?), says "Door - EXIT" when examined, and can't be shot down.
I think that would be too much work for a small change. Having every stair guarded by an out of depth monster would be fun though.

The rocket launcher in DooM 2 is much more powerful than DoomRL's
If anything i think it's the opposite.

About plasma-gun and shotguns: They have been significantly changed in the beta, so better to check them out before and see what you think.

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:45 »

I think chainguns are well where they are now.
I would propose another thing: Enemies having a favored weapon against them, for example:
Chaingun hits have a chance to stun Cacodemons.
Chainsaw have 100% accuracy against demons.
Shotguns do maximum damage against Mancubus/Arachnotron.
Whatever you can think that's fun but doesn't break game balance.

A good idea.

I think that would be too much work for a small change. Having every stair guarded by an out of depth monster would be fun though.
I doubt it would be that much work. Just every now and again force the stairs to spawn in a vault with a green door.

If anything i think it's the opposite.
Ah, it does less damage but it fires very quickly and doesn't need reloading.
About plasma-gun and shotguns: They have been significantly changed in the beta, so better to check them out before and see what you think.
Plasma guns changed? Also shotguns only got a damage upgrade, my idea is a bit different.
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:10 »

Plasma Guns have a 6-shot base and a new Alternate Fire. They're a bit weaker but don't burn through ammunition as fast as they did before.

Shotguns only had damage upgraded but from 6d3 to 8d3 is a 33% increase. I've tested the new shotguns +/- extensively.
Double Shotgun - it's more or less perfect now. Destructive at close range and kinda useless for long shots. A small increase on the mid range would be welcome though.
Combat Shotgun - Overpowered in my opinion. Does way too much damage at long range.
Shotgun - Better than it used to be but still not enough. I can't understand why make the shotgun perform worse than the combat shotgun shot per shot.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 09:39 »

...because the combat shotgun is supposed to be better than the regular shotgun shot-for-shot?
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:29 »

I didn't explain myself properly.
Even if you use the Combat Shotgun like a regular shotgun: 1 shell -> shoot -> reload -> shoot -> reload, it is still clearly superior to a regular shotgun (it's more precise, has less range dissipation and reloads MUCH faster). I don't think that should be the case.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 16:31 »

Debriefing - i'm for it. Kills/items/levers/time.

I like the ideas about shotguns. With one remark: double shooty had no direct hit bonus on long ranges in Doom 2. But regular shotty was kinda a sniper weapon if properly aimed. So i'm for lowering damage from Shotty and CS, but with granting them a chance, depending on accuracy, that they will have 80% of damage reduction removed. Only for direct hits, of course.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 22:28 »

I like the ideas about shotguns. With one remark: double shooty had no direct hit bonus on long ranges in Doom 2. But regular shotty was kinda a sniper weapon if properly aimed. So i'm for lowering damage from Shotty and CS, but with granting them a chance, depending on accuracy, that they will have 80% of damage reduction removed. Only for direct hits, of course.

I still think that the CS should have a slightly better effect because of its reduced spread. It'd be the shotgun you fall back on for long-range fighting. (Heck, I even do that with my current shotgun characters. DS with a CS prepared.)

I agree on the DS though. Maybe it could just get the beta damage upgrade and stay as a killing machine, but only at short range.
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:54 »

I still think that the CS should have a slightly better effect because of its reduced spread. It'd be the shotgun you fall back on for long-range fighting. (Heck, I even do that with my current shotgun characters. DS with a CS prepared.)

Ok. Then, i think, 60% for shotty, 80% for CS.

Thomas

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 21:13 »

Hm, some more ideas.

New level type:
Acid Bath
It's a normal grid level, like many of the early game levels, but most doors spawn with 8 tiles of acid surrounding them. Also rooms are likely to be filled with acid (The smaller the room, the more likely) and there are 3 times as many random acid pools. Pain Elementals and Cacodemons are much more likely to spawn in acid baths. You don't get any acid bath levels until midgame, just like hellish cities.
And its endgame equivilent: The LAVA BATH! You added envirosuits, give players a reason to pick them up!
Beta Tester stuff: Acid baths only have acid barrels, Lava baths only have napalm barrels.

Messages on enter: "I love the sizzling sound of acid on stone floors." or "This entire level looks like it's about to melt away..."

New vault variation:
Acid Vault
A vault with a small maze in it (Like the maze rooms in the original rogue, if you can remember that far back.) that is totally filled with acid, also cacodemons or pain elementals. Somewhere, tucked away in a dead end, is a megasphere and a lategame item, like red armor or plasma cells.
If lava vaults are also implemented, they'll probably have a megasphere, an invulnerability globe and a unique.

Message on enter: "I do believe that's the strong smell of acid." or "Somewhere... a powerful item cries out for help..."

EDIT: Oh, another level type! I'm on fire!

Hellish castle
A large, 3-square thick moat (of acid, of course.) with a bridge of normal floor tiles surrounds a huge building that takes up almost the entire map. You spawn on or near the bridge.
The castle is divided in to small rooms, much smaller than that of a normal level. The exit is often far away from the enterence to the castle, but there may be a back enterence if you're willing to wade through the moat.
Packs are very likely to spawn in castles, with rooms full of imps (with a hell knight leader) and demons being the norm.

Message on enter: "What ho? A demonic castle to besiege?" or "Wuzzat say on the front? 'Wolfenstein'?"

LAST EDIT, I SWEAR: You should get some sort of special bonus if you destroy over 50% of the wall tiles of a hellish castle. You must siege it! Bring the artillery!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 21:44 by Thomas »
[26/26/26/25/9/1]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 01:54 »

I just can't wait for the Icon of Sin interpretation in DoomRL. Any thoughts on that?
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 13:50 »

Bring rockets. Lotsa rockets.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 15:09 »

I just can't wait for the Icon of Sin interpretation in DoomRL. Any thoughts on that?

You're in an arena-style level with respawning enemies, and have to blast through the marked wall to get to and destroy John Romero's Head.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 15:26 »

You're in an arena-style level with respawning enemies, and have to blast through the marked wall to get to and destroy John Romero's Head.

Or maybe you have to run for levers (hurray for Hellrunner), press them and then shoot the shield generators. After the generators are down, you can shot and destroy the Icon of Sin.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 17:11 »

We just need a monster with 100% dodge chance, so no direct-hit weapon will damage him. Only weapons with blast radius, such as rocket launcher (bfg won't work because you will fire out of your sight and it's won't damage a thing out there) will work. To make it impossible to reach the monster itself (you will see just a long tunnel, in which you need to fire) just place a teleporter at the entrance (indestructible teleportator). To make it impossible to just stay there and fire rocket after rocket we either need to spawn new monsters in the rooms that has direct view on that place, from which you can fire (it's a bad, brute-force way), or we need a scripts for the maps, which, after pressing the lever, would open the door at the end of the tunnel for limited time or until the first hit.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All