Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 21:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Things about shotguns  (Read 10982 times)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Things about shotguns
« on: July 08, 2009, 15:19 »

Well, there is a hot discussion going on whether the shotgun are underpowered or not.
I myself think that they are too powerfull right now (as for the beta 4). But after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5uHt4AwYb4

It seems that shotguns have really high accurracy (I never though that high). Maybe we shouldn't concentrate on making the shotguns more powerfull, but more accurate, meaning, lesser spread.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
Re: Things about shotguns
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 17:59 »

Hmm, if you want to talk about how real modern shotguns work.

There are a lot of variants of shotguns and that man on the video is using a sporting shotgun. The typical 'Doom' shotgun would be a shorter barrel Riot Shotgun.
Anyway it's true the shotgun spread in DoomRL is absurd. Double shotgun spread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuqYRoTac34

Regarding power, that stuff only explodes because it's made of clay, in reality regular buckshot won't do much even against crappy kevlar.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 18:06 by Dervis »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 18:01 »

Two comments:

1) "Spread" you mentioned is what people expect from videogame shotguns - if we lessen/remove the spread we'll end up removing the quality that defines them

2) I admit I don't have time to look through the vid right now, but I guess there is the possibility that "accuracy" displayed in the movie comes from using solid slugs as oposed to buckshot :P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 03:03 »

Two comments:

1) "Spread" you mentioned is what people expect from videogame shotguns - if we lessen/remove the spread we'll end up removing the quality that defines them

2) I admit I don't have time to look through the vid right now, but I guess there is the possibility that "accuracy" displayed in the movie comes from using solid slugs as oposed to buckshot :P

The guy on the video throws nine clay disks into air (by throwing I mean his own hands!) and shoots them one at a time. One shot to destroy one disk.

As for the spread, with such insane spread, you really cannot do much harm. I know this game has nothing to do with reality, but come on! I think the spread should be lessened a little.

... niczym bracia!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:41 »

Yeah, I suggested something like this. Holy shameless crosspost batman!

"Shotgun. If you pass a +1 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is reduced by 80%. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Combat Shotgun. If you pass a +3 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is nulled. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Double Shotgun. If you pass a -2 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is halved. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.

This makes shotguns a good alternative to the chaingun (Which they are, even at medium range in DooM 2), but keeps their AoE damage as low as it is right now.
However, this also makes Eagle Eye a staple trait for every single weapon (bar BFG), so I'd suggest removing it and making accuracy rise by 0.5 on levelup instead."

This upgrade should be applied to a 6d3 shotgun, of course. I'm fine with this or 8d3 shotguns.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:08 »

Yeah, I suggested something like this. Holy shameless crosspost batman!

"Shotgun. If you pass a +1 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is reduced by 80%. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Combat Shotgun. If you pass a +3 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is nulled. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.
Double Shotgun. If you pass a -2 accuracy roll, damage dropoff is halved. This only applies to enemies that are on your green aiming line.

This makes shotguns a good alternative to the chaingun (Which they are, even at medium range in DooM 2), but keeps their AoE damage as low as it is right now.
However, this also makes Eagle Eye a staple trait for every single weapon (bar BFG), so I'd suggest removing it and making accuracy rise by 0.5 on levelup instead."

This upgrade should be applied to a 6d3 shotgun, of course. I'm fine with this or 8d3 shotguns.
But we are talking here on the spread of a shotgun. Besides, when using a shotgun like in Doom with such a high spread, how the hell do you want it to be accurate? I would agree that a shotgun might do extra damage if the pellet hits the face or some unprotected part of the body. But this would be completely random. You are facing 5 daemons, spreaded.
You can direct spread at those fight daemons, because you are accurate? I do not think so. You can direct where the "pellet cloud" will "fly", but you cannot direct it like: i shoot the daemon in the head, it is its weakest point, part of the spread will hit the former commando in the groin and part of the spread will hit the Arch-ville in the abdomen.

My proposition: lesser the spread, make the damage higher (do not like that idea). But do not implement accuracy rolls, because this doesn't make sense to shotgun.

... niczym bracia!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06 »

Right now pellet cloud spreads like that for Combat Shotty (the higher the number - the higher the damage):

Code: [Select]
@9988776655443

Which is not so correct. It should be really some funnel-like barrel on shotgun to create such pattern. General part of pellets flies forward, in the direction of the shot, and only some of them are shifted from that direction. And the further from the center of the aim - the less pellets that flew in that direction. So pattern should be more like that:

@9999988888777

Same for other types of shotties, i suppose.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:22 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 05:36 »

@9999988888777

Same for other types of shotties, i suppose.

Completely agree on this. But there should be less spread imo.

@9999988888777

Either that or severely penalise outliers.
@9999998888877
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:47 by Dervis »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:01 »

Ya, that's it. I agree on the last one; Spread factor should stay the same, but it should do more damage to the center and less damage to the ends. That would be perfect I think.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Visalos

• First Sergeant
  • Former Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 11:07 »

The answer is clear: We need volunteers to take shotgun blasts to the chest at various ranges.
The demons will never forget the Marine who charged -screaming- through seven layers of hell wearing nothing but a nuke and blue boots.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 13:15 »

Yes, i know i'm mad. Just play with the numbers on yellow.
Shotgun.xls
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:29 by Dervis »

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 13:59 »

The answer is clear: We need volunteers to take shotgun blasts to the chest at various ranges.
Oh I wanna do that. My sister's a volunteer. Muhahaha >=D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 21:03 »

I've already tested shotguns to the chest irl. I believe it was on the news once!

But we are talking here on the spread of a shotgun. Besides, when using a shotgun like in Doom with such a high spread, how the hell do you want it to be accurate? I would agree that a shotgun might do extra damage if the pellet hits the face or some unprotected part of the body. But this would be completely random. You are facing 5 daemons, spreaded.
You can direct spread at those fight daemons, because you are accurate? I do not think so. You can direct where the "pellet cloud" will "fly", but you cannot direct it like: i shoot the daemon in the head, it is its weakest point, part of the spread will hit the former commando in the groin and part of the spread will hit the Arch-ville in the abdomen.

My proposition: lesser the spread, make the damage higher (do not like that idea). But do not implement accuracy rolls, because this doesn't make sense to shotgun.

Yeah, my idea is pretty similar to this one. I suggested that as long as you're aiming directly at the enemies (On the 9-7 line, in Blade's diagram) you have a decent chance to do full damage instead of suffering dropoff. And this is technically an accuracy thing (Shotgun sniping in DooM requires a bit of precision) so I made it an accuracy roll, thus making all weapons require accuracy checks. I didn't suggest being able to split up your shot exactly between 5 demons, unless they were all in a straight line.

Either that or severely penalise outliers.
@9999998888877

The idea of enemies on the side being damaged more if they're far away is weird. Maybe a unique shotgun (the jackhammer, maybe?) could work like this.

"Spread" you mentioned is what people expect from videogame shotguns - if we lessen/remove the spread we'll end up removing the quality that defines them
The man speaks truth. I strongly disagree with any change that reduces the spread down to 3 tiles wide (Unless it's the combat shotgun or something)

EDIT:
How combat shotguns currently work:

Also got the diagram for the current shotgun and doubleshotty?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 21:07 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 02:24 »

Also got the diagram for the current shotgun and doubleshotty?

Here you go:

-shotgun
@***************
-combat shotgun
@***************
-double shotgun
@********

Edit: Also something that occured to me when digging up the above - with recent change double shotguns gets armor applied effectively six times unless something changed in the way it works.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:28 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:17 »

Am I the only one who thinks all but the combat shotgun is extremely excessive?* The double shotgun's cone looks more like Doom's FOV than a double shotgun spread! o_O

*well, noone replied yet, but I hope I'm not the only one
Pages: [1] 2  All