Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 11:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why is this game impossible now  (Read 3579 times)

Geothermal

Why is this game impossible now
« on: April 06, 2006, 15:06 »

This game used to be a lot easier. Now I just get shot every 5 minutes by like, the shittiest of enemies and there's really no way to dodge anything. How the hell are you supposed to get to a high enough level in say, Hellrunner so that you can actually start dodging stuff if every crappy badguy seems to beable to fire on where you are going to step next during a turn? Like, the game is retarded now.

Getting past the first few levels is just a matter of luck now. Why the hell did you through the fairly decent balance of the game you had a few versions ago out the window like this?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 17:52 »

I sugest less whinning and more training ... I had trouble with surviving too ... but with time I eaven managed to find & fire BFG (once ^^") ... read other peoples mortems and look what traits they took ... check the wiki for spoilers & tactics ... it helps

... and if that doesn't work than wait until next wersion and difficulty levels.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 21:38 »

This game is actually easy compared to say, ADOM or Linley's Dungeon Crawl (The latter being mind buggeringly hard from levels 1 through 3)

I agree with the more training part, This is not a pay-per-game arcade game so you have all the time in the world to practice.

The way I play DoomRL is to heavily invest in Tough as Nails (Mmm...Damage reduction) and then get Ironman levels.

Trust me, Hellrunner does not produce obvious results untill you hit level 3 with it..

But take all advice with a pinch of salt and try to have your own playing style.

Good luck!

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 00:11 »

Quoting: Geothermal
How the hell are you supposed to get to a high enough level in say, Hellrunner so that you can actually start dodging stuff?

Perhaps covering behind walls? life is not cheap ;)

Actually, you may think this again when you run out of ammo and you just arrived hell :p
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

agentCDE

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 00:23 »

I actually found that taking levels in Eagle Eye and staying Cowardly the whole time helped slightly. It got my best character (ironically named Corpse) all the way to level 12 or 13, including Hell's Arena, the Chained Court, and the Wall, while all of my other guys seem to die in level 2 or the Arena of Hell.

He definatley took his hits, but a level or two of Ironman and Hard as Nails allowed him to keep going, and Eagle Eye insured he was hitting consitently as well.

Of course, Corpse was also a lucky bastard when it came to the medkits on the first level - he managed to charge in and grab all four, while all I seem to be able to grab recently are the two sitting outside. I open the door and some stupid zombie has picked up the other two.

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 14:45 »

Quoting: Anticheese

But take all advice with a pinch of salt and try to have your own playing style.

Yup, that's probably the best advice there is. I found that i can win the game with almost any combination of traits, allthough some make life easier for you offcourse. I think the main thing that determines success is your playing style. But never be too rigid about it (like only using coward tactics or never blowing up barrels). Every situation you'll find yourself in can be put to your advantage somehow if you've got the right equipment, tactics setting and a bit of luck :)
Pages: [1]