Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 01:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Differences (and differences in difficulty) in past versions?  (Read 3682 times)

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile

I was looking at the other Ao100/U and N! wins in the mortems to see how many there were and to feed my ego, and noticed that some things were really different before with past versions of DoomRL...but were wins easier or harder, and in what ways?

In the past you received experience for re-killing resurrected monsters, did that make N! a lot easier?  Or were there other factors that made evened things out?

And it seems the rocket did very little damage?  How did you kill anything with it?

Son of a gun had +2 damage per level...was there some real handicap to pistols back then?  I would love to have +6 bonus damage without needing levels of bitch.

Any other differences between versions which greatly altered the difficulty in getting a win, or generally how one played the game?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/

* Kornel Kisielewicz wonders why no one replied here... would be a really nice discussion.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile

Things i can remember that really made a difference:

- Son of a Gun was bugged and didn't actually give any +damage for pistols. However the speed system was different so it was qutie easy to get a pistol to have 0,1 fire time.

- Mods worked differently and allowed you to place virtually limitless mods on an advanced weapon. I once had a 2d12 pistol for example.

- Angel of Berserk actually made large med packs give you berserk power-up. Having berserk on demand made this challenge very easy.

- There was no penalty for shooting off-screen. You could use intuition 3 or shooting by sound for a very easy game.

Nothing more i can remember except using the unload bug to load weapons over their maximum. This made all shot reload weapons extremely powerful. This was cheating ofc.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka

- Son of a Gun was bugged and didn't actually give any +damage for pistols. However the speed system was different so it was qutie easy to get a pistol to have 0,1 fire time.

- Mods worked differently and allowed you to place virtually limitless mods on an advanced weapon. I once had a 2d12 pistol for example.

Nothing more i can remember except using the unload bug to load weapons over their maximum. This made all shot reload weapons extremely powerful. This was cheating ofc.

All of that because of bugs. # 2 and #3 were fixed quite fast, while the first was in game for several versions, until Kornel found out that actually damage bonus is not working. SoaB didn't gave bonus too. It was the trait with no effect.

Rockets - they were ok. Then were the buggy system of dealing damages from explosion. IIRC, rocket's damage was dealt twice.

About rez-killing on Nightmare - it was very difficult on deep levels in that time. Because of no "powerups doubled" bonus, because of SoaB that wasn't working, because of no Triggerhappy. It was possible to scum enough exp from demons and chaingunners on level 2 to get HR, IM and TaN to just run through deeper levels - it was the most possible way to win, but it was very hard to survive somehow long on later levels with all of that resurrecting tough monsters.

Game balance sometimes was changed dramatically from version to version and most of the changes i even don't remember. Better to check version history, or even download an old build and try to play it.) v.0.9.8, or v.0.9.8.5, for example.

Edit: Yaay, my 666-th post!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:05 by Blade »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/

Edit: Yaay, my 666-th post!
Congratz :D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile

Seeing the comments referring to xp-scumming in previous mortems led me to read the previous changelogs which led to this topic. I'm most interested in the things you'd notice only by playing - I have actually downloaded the previous versions and have played around with them - the barrels blow up twice when you hit them; I'm guessing this is the same thing as the rocket.

This is the stuff I'm interested in, thanks for bringing it up:
So what was noted and what actually occurred was totally different!  I probably wouldn't even have noticed specifically that the damage bonus wasn't there - maybe just that pistols weren't as strong as I expected due to what was stated.

Was the speed system additive/subtractive unlike the multiplication today?  E.g. speed mod was -0.1s rather than *0.9?

Game balance sometimes was changed dramatically from version to version and most of the changes i even don't remember. Better to check version history, or even download an old build and try to play it.) v.0.9.8, or v.0.9.8.5, for example.

Do you recall your successful playstyles?  What kinds of things did you do/pay attention to in order to win?

For example, the way I succeed nowadays is to always take advantage of doors and corners by angling in a way where I can fire at enemies while they rarely are able to fire at me.  And also cateye, where enemies are kept precariously at the edge of your vision where you can hit them and they can't hit you, firing away and hoping to push them back before they walk forward and are able to hit you.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka

Was the speed system additive/subtractive unlike the multiplication today?  E.g. speed mod was -0.1s rather than *0.9?

Yup, it was. It was possible even to get negative values of speed, in which case game was crashing.

Do you recall your successful playstyles?  What kinds of things did you do/pay attention to in order to win?

In v.0.9.8.5 Intuition was an imba. Shotguns were even weaker than now, so most of the games were chaingun-based, or pistol-based ones. Pistols were even more overpowered than now, IIRC. AoB was easier in that version, and it was possible even to survive quite long with just combat knife (which i proved, surviving till level 11 on UV).
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile

Yup, it was. It was possible even to get negative values of speed, in which case game was crashing.
What if it was 0?  Would firing take no time at all?  Or did it crash?

There's another thing in the changelogs I noticed - something about changing line of sight and firing trajectories?  A player can do some really funky curved shots nowadays (which are pretty useful for survival), did this change refer to this phenomena?
Pages: [1]