Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 19:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can I get some pointers for shotguns?  (Read 8333 times)

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Can I get some pointers for shotguns?
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:12 »

I'd like to try a shotgun build, which means I cannot use a chaingun whatsoever like I always do. Here's the traits I've been using: Rel->Rel->SM->HR->HR->HR->TaN->TaN->TaN->Iro->Iro->Iro. It seems like the best possible setup for shotguns unless SoaB gives bonus damage to every BB from the shotgun's spread (it doesn't seem like that's the case though).

Also, what's the easiest and earliest way to get a double shotgun?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:46 by Drukqs »

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get some pointers for shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:41 »

Concerning the build- it's exactly the same one that I used to win. It should work, then, yet, I still have this unpleasant feeling, that I won only because RNG spawned an Gothic Armor for me.
And about double shotgun- it can spawn any time, in fact. I've found it on level 2, and also I could not find it until level 15. It's pure luck-based.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:56 »

Winning with a shotgun build will be easier the next version -- shotguns are powered up.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Yossarian

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 16:19 »

Ya! Shotgun Love!
Anyways, I used the following build for my first shotgun win (given it was on easy):
Rel->Rel->SM->HR->TaN->TaN->TaN->Iro->HR

I have found that the biggest thing about shotguns is that you need to learn to use the running tactic and learning how to strafe. Because shotguns do not rely on accuracy, you can use running to close the distance, and give yourself a solid dodge chance.

Dervis posted a pretty good video on how to use shotties effectively. It's in this link
http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php?topic=2013.0
Its in one of the replies, but you need dosrecorder to play it. 

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40 »

Winning with a shotgun build will be easier the next version -- shotguns are powered up.

Awesome.

A minor suggestion to further help balance out the shotgun path (mostly early on), if you don't mind -- give the Former Sergeants (shotgun guys, gray "h", etc.) a chance to drop a combat shotgun and a double shotgun (not both at the same time). Perhaps 10~20% for a combat shotgun and 5~10% for a double shotgun? I don't think it'd be too powerful since you can get a chaingun on level 2 or 3 (Hell's Arena) extremely easily (which practically carries you all the way to the end).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:47 by Drukqs »

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 10:06 »

####@###
#.hhh.h#
#..hhh.#
#h.hh.h#
#hhhh.^# <-- WTFMEGASPHERE!?!?
########

Wouldn't this situation essentially give you a couple combat shotguns and a double shotgun then? :P

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:07 »

That's a highly unlikely (see: impossible) situation.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 13:27 »

Would not be quite sure to this impossibleness. RNG has a very twisted sense of humor (see: spawnig you into 3x3 room with two pain elementals and 6 lost souls). Anyway, sergants should drop shotguns, nothing more. Combat shotgun is easily found on floor (on my last HMP run I've found 4 of them on level 2) and double shotgun... well, it's luck based. And it's good that way, really.

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 21:22 »

It's not impossible, I know that. But the odds of the RNG actually spawning a tiny room full of 10 or more shotgun guys with a megasphere are extremely slim. You may as well call it impossible. The reason I said it was impossible is because it was easier to type than "(see: 0.001% chance)".

The chaingun isn't luck-based though. Generally when someone starts a new run they decide between shotguns and rapidfire weapons (unless they're doing some quirky pistol/melee build, you get the idea). On the harder difficulties you can get a chaingun on level 2 without even doing Hell's Arena, but what does the shotgun guy get on harder difficulties? Just a combat shotgun, sometimes not even that. I know I've done quite a few shotgun-only attempts on HMP and UV that have failed miserably simply because the RNG was not generous enough to give me a combat shotgun on one of the first few (~5-ish) levels.

What I'm getting at is... the combat shotgun and double shotgun don't have to be dropped randomly by an enemy, it's just an idea. However, they should definitely be easier to obtain.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. In Doom II, you find a double shotgun before you find a chaingun. In fact, you don't get the chaingun until a few levels later.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:48 by Drukqs »

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 22:35 »

The megasphere was a joke. How did you not get that? There was an arrow screaming 'joke', for cripe's sake! D:

In fact, you don't get the Chaingun until a few levels later.
No, you get the chaingun on MAP03, or are you /not/ playing on Ultra-Violence? Wait, no, there's a changun there on ITYTD also.

Also, you get the rocket launcher at MAP01, and the super shotgun on MAP02. ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 22:52 by Generic »

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 23:18 »

How did I not get the "joke"? Probably because it wasn't in the least bit funny. Also, why post a serious question if the situation is supposed to be a joke?

In fact, you don't get the Chaingun until a few levels later.

you get the chaingun on MAP03

and the super shotgun on MAP02

Now don't you feel silly?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:10 by Drukqs »

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 00:10 »

What I'm getting at is... the Combat Shotgun and Double Shotgun don't have to be dropped randomly by an enemy, it's just an idea. However, they should definitely be easier to obtain.

Aye, agreed. I think that seargants should have the possibility to shoot various types of shotguns. The later the levels, the higher propability, that they will be in possession of combat or double shotgun.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 02:18 »

How did I not get the "joke"? Probably because it wasn't in the least bit funny. Also, why post a serious question if the situation is supposed to be a joke?
The megasphere is a lie - that's why it's funny ;).
Also - people tend to mix both serious and ironic/jocular elements in their expressions. It's a sign of mental refinement and takes a bit of intellect and empathy to discern and comprehend.
Get used to it.

Aye, agreed. I think that seargants should have the possibility to shoot various types of shotguns. The later the levels, the higher propability, that they will be in possession of combat or double shotgun.
I agree, although AoB players might panic a little when faced with a DS-wielding FHS ;). Then again - no risk => no fun...

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 02:38 »

I agree, although AoB players might panic a little when faced with a DS-wielding FHS ;). Then again - no risk => no fun...
[/quote]
Maybe just ad a DS as one of the Arena rewards? Would make sense for shotgun players to go there.

Drukqs

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 03:41 »

The megasphere is a lie - that's why it's funny ;).
Also - people tend to mix both serious and ironic/jocular elements in their expressions. It's a sign of mental refinement and takes a bit of intellect and empathy to discern and comprehend.
Get used to it.

Yeah, because "the megasphere is a lie" is original content, hilarious and totally not a direct ripoff of something from Portal that wasn't funny and overused in the first place.

Not everyone has a boring sense of humor, which takes a bit of intellect and empathy to discern and comprehend, get used to it~
Pages: [1] 2  All