Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More variety in Ao100 levels  (Read 4676 times)

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
More variety in Ao100 levels
« on: July 29, 2009, 23:57 »

I rather enjoy playing Ao100 (and DoomRL, of course), but the levels after 25 are pretty...repetitive.

Now I understand the basis of it was no special levels, but it would be interesting if there was more variety and different situations.  Right now it's just "hope the RNG doesn't spawn me in a room surrounded by dangerous monsters" (or pain elemental caves), and "slowly methodically handle the same monster mix for a lot of levels in a row"

Why don't we have the monster mix change more often?  As long as there's still a distribution of former captains and sergeants (and perhaps arachnotrons) to replenish ammo, things could be more interesting.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: More variety in Ao100 levels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:49 »

I suggest a discussion on this because I have no idea how to make it more interesting :/
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:49 »

I suggest a discussion on this because I have no idea how to make it more interesting :/

You enter what apears to be a abandoned habitat.
----- Level contatning small rooms (each with former sergeant or former human), long corridors (chaingunners) and security posts (former commandos)

Pure evil is lurking beneath...
----- Level is spawned with an unique weapon, or advanced weapons with two mods. Time is of the essence. When you enter a level, the timer is started and goes down your every move (not every second!). When you finally get the weapon, the current timer value is halved. When the timer goes off, monsters start teleporting in. This can go on forever. Note that when you enter this level, you have to quit it, otherwise your chance to get the 100% kills score is very slim.

This level is simple... Dead simple... (special level)
----- Level with a number of pillars, surounded by a thick wall. The pillar themselves are indestructible. As the time flows, they will lower and reveal mancubi hiding behind them. On the first three difficulty levels, you have to kill all of the mancubi. After that, the wall sorrounding the pillars also gets lowered, revealing arachnotrons. On Difficulty 4 or 5, after killing the first mancubi the wall gets lowered instantly...

Feels like I've been here before...
----- You enter a level that you had just demolished, how is that possible? No time to think, you have to prepare yourself... Ah. all the enemies are dead. Well, not for long, because the corpses will rise again, after some time. This time, you have to gib them (gibbing will be implemented?) to make sure they don't rise by themselves again.

You feel out of yourself
----- Level contains many teleports, but only monsters can use them

Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:09 »

How about vaults? They would be preset rooms, and would have two versions, lesser and greater. Lessers would be fairly tiny, while greaters would take up a good portion of the map. Both would be at least some challenge, like maybe this:
##########
#........+
#.########
#.#AB....#
#.#AA}.#+#
#+#..AA#.#
#....BA#.#
########.#
+........#
##########

It doesn't necessarily have to be that, but it's just an idea. I haven't thought out specifics, though, like spawn rate, and the reward(s) for completing it.

for the love of god, DO NOT look at the post source!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:55 by Generic »

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 03:17 »

You spawn with a unique that suits your build right next to you.

When you pick up the unique, 50 BoH's and 4 Arch-viles teleport right in on top of you. Hurr hurr.

Seriously though, there isn't much that can be done to make it more interesting. Some of Thomas's ideas sound good, but that would require new level types being implemented.

On that subject, new level types after level 25 would be rather nice...

[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 18:52 »

Oh yeah, I had some more challenging level ideas based off some levels of DooM 2 that I remember. I'll crosspost the basics here.

Hellish Castle:
A huge rectangular room (With little bulbs on each corner)
Surrounded by a moat, with a small drawbridge on the southern side.
You start on the southern side.
The castle is divided in to many small rooms.
The exit will always spawn in the castle. It'll usually be far away from the enterence.
If you go through the moat, you might find a back enterence and not have to fight that much, if you're low on HP.

Acid/Lava Bath
A normal maze of rooms, except...
It's got acid, or lava!
Acid/Lava surrounds the 8 squares around most doors.
Rooms may be filled with Acid/Lava, but the chance is low if the room is big. The chance is 0 if the room touches more than 1 side of the map.
Flying or acid/lava-immune enemies are much more likely to spawn.
No fuel barrels, only acid barrels or napalm barrels.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 18:55 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 21:22 »

Oh yeah, I had some more challenging level ideas based off some levels of DooM 2 that I remember. I'll crosspost the basics here.

Hellish Castle:
A huge rectangular room (With little bulbs on each corner)
Surrounded by a moat, with a small drawbridge on the southern side.
You start on the southern side.
The castle is divided in to many small rooms.
The exit will always spawn in the castle. It'll usually be far away from the enterence.
If you go through the moat, you might find a back enterence and not have to fight that much, if you're low on HP.

I like this one. Perhaps have a "Valuable Castle" where there's a unique in a room full of ArchViles/Barons/Revenants/ect.

Acid/Lava Bath
A normal maze of rooms, except...
It's got acid, or lava!
Acid/Lava surrounds the 8 squares around most doors.
Rooms may be filled with Acid/Lava, but the chance is low if the room is big. The chance is 0 if the room touches more than 1 side of the map.
Flying or acid/lava-immune enemies are much more likely to spawn.
No fuel barrels, only acid barrels or napalm barrels.

Not practical due to insane acid/lava damage. Either that or get a envirosuit somewhere near the spawn point.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:41 »

The Acid/Lava bath is a late level, it'll only spawn after you've gone through at least 10 normal levels. I thought of it because you really need something to stop you from skipping all the envirosuit packs in the game, which I usually do.

Even without an envirosuit there's so many ways to null acid damage that all the acid is doing is giving you spots where you're not allowed to stand still.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:26 »

"Angelic" levels: After a certain depth, each given level has a chance to inflict the effect of a randomly chosen challenge game on the player, but only for the duration of said level.

Examples:

"You feel impatient!" - Any medikits, phase devices and envirosuits picked on this level are used immediately, as per Angel of Impatience rules. Items that are already in inventory are unaffected (unless dropped and repicked).

"You are suddenly filled with a burning desire to purify this world" - Player can't benefit from powerups on this level, as per Angel of Purity rules.

"This level appears to be filled with solid fog" - No level memory, as though Angel of Darkness was in effect.

"ALERT! Self-destruct sequence initiated!" - Activates a timed nuke, AoRA-style.

"You enter a vast demonic slaughterhouse..." - Angel of Max Carnage is in effect. Enjoy the gibfest.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 04:47 »

Do you realize how much that would suck if you landed in an AoB, AoMR, or AoPac level? :P

note: yay I'm a demon :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 16:02 by Generic »

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:19 »

Indeed it would; for that reason, certain challenges should be either excluded from this lottery.

Actually, now that I think of it, this could be an excellent way to implement certain Challenge modes from this thread - namely, the ones that, despite being interesting, don't quite deserve a proper Angel mode of their own.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:28 by Passionario »
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16 »

Angelic levels aren't a bad idea.  I want to think about this a bit more and suggest some things that are fun.  I figure I have a significant amount of Ao100 experience relative to most of the players who post here.
Pages: [1]