Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 08:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How exactly does accuracy work?  (Read 2571 times)

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
How exactly does accuracy work?
« on: July 30, 2009, 18:35 »

Even though I have a rough idea about the impact of accuracy in the game*, how exactly is the number used to determine whether a shot hits or not?

Also, when things are not spotted, is the accuracy number simply halved before use?

* (+1 = about half your shots miss, +4 = most of your shots hit, +8 = almost every one of your shots hit)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
Re: How exactly does accuracy work?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:20 »

Basic Info:
The game rolls some dice and adds your accuracy (Also taking in to account distance, further away targets are harder to hit). You're right with your vague numbers, having +0 accuracy means exactly 50% of your shots will hit (Assuming average luck, of course)

If you can't see the enemy, the game also makes a coinflip. Tails you automatically miss, heads you proceed as normal. This is done before any other accuracy rolls.

Spoilery Info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 17:54 »

Thanks for that post, it really gave me insight.  I didn't really use the @ screen before - it does have its benefits!

How does accuracy degrade with range?  Among other things, I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to take the third level of eagle eye with chainguns.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 18:00 »

I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to take the third level of eagle eye with chainguns.

It's not.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:48 »

How does accuracy degrade with range?  Among other things, I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to take the third level of eagle eye with chainguns.

If you're sniping people (Edge of sight radius) you'll lose about 3 accuracy iirc.
I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile to take the third level of eagle eye with anything

It's not.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 23:50 »

I took both of your words to heart as I played recently, but more and more I'm beginning to think the third level could be worth it.

With 2 levels of eagle eye, I still notice that a third of my shots or so miss when firing at range.  If the third level could reduce that to, say, a fifth of my shots missing, it'd be well worth it, more than equivalent to a level of trigger happy but with less ammo use.

And if it's true that about 3 accuracy is lost when firing at range, I believe that would mesh closely with what I'm seeing (~ +2 final accuracy ), and another +2 I think would make a big difference.
Pages: [1]