Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 01:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: D&D, Doom and You  (Read 23821 times)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 22:51 »

Quoting: Flynn Taggart
Except that GURPS is a d6-based system, and DRL uses d4s, d8s, etc.

Just for weapon damage :-).

but GURPS ain't the "holy grail", either.

I've got dozens of RPG systems on my shelf, and have read several more -- GURPS is the closest system to universal best that I know. The only system IMHO that is better is Amber Diceless, but that one can't be used for a cRPG for obvious reasons ;-)

It's better to just write up a quick system, if you want to run Doom as an RPG. I'd be willing to do it, if anyone was interested.

GURPS is as complicated or as simple as you make it. GURPS Doom was a brilliant conversion, and I dont see the need to make another one ;-).
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 01:24 »

When i'm doing a roleplaying session with friends face to face, i hate systems. But you need them to stop endless arguments over what's fair and what's not.

I'd say GURPS has a lot going for it, because of it's adaptability for nearly every setting you might want to use. And since DoomRL is based on GURPS Doom, i think it's only logical to walk that beaten path.

Flynn Taggart

• Private FC
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 07:09 »

Point made. I do like what you've done with the weapons in this game, Kornel. We've all got our own gripes with different systems.

Back in '97 I myself rewrote Shadowrun to an entirely different game system because FASA's d6 method made results of 7, 13, 19 etc. utterly pointless. That, and I wanted to make firearms as realistic as I could, within the fairly simple bounds of the rules system. None of that "Go ahead and shoot me with your 10mm Auto. I'll shrug them off all day" bullshit.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2006, 10:38 »

I recall that someone posted links to a GURPS Doom sheet a while ago, Does anyone have here experience in GM/DM'ing GURPS?

From what I can see there are alot of people keen on the idea, This should turn out to be a great activity here.

Ok, My wording sucks.

I'm just happy it turned out to be a good idea.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2006, 12:37 »

Quoting: Turgor
When i'm doing a roleplaying session with friends face to face, i hate systems. But you need them to stop endless arguments over what's fair and what's not.

That's why my favorite system is Amber DRPG :-).

I do like what you've done with the weapons in this game, Kornel. We've all got our own gripes with different systems.

Damage codes are fun -- especialy if the computer rolls the damage for you ;-). As for the rest of the mechanics is much plainly GURPS with the stats hidden. Alhough the Dodge system is something completely Game-inspired (and completely unrelated to GURPS).

None of that "Go ahead and shoot me with your 10mm Auto. I'll shrug them off all day" bullshit.

That's what I like about GURPS -- A crossbow shot in the heart kills. Of course you get to roll the dice, but the effect is almost always fatal.

Quoting: Anticheese

I recall that someone posted links to a GURPS Doom sheet a while ago, Does anyone have here experience in GM/DM'ing GURPS?

ROTFL -- I do :-P. I once wrote a full Campaign for Doom RPG -- and a completely serious one at that... It encompassed most of the Doom I and Doom II storyline, modified a little in a few places.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 10:50 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
Back to topic -- D&D sucks. And it realy does. I hate everything that has D20 written on it :-P. Saying that D20 is flexible is like saying that there is no difference between a lightning bolt and a shot from a M16.

Think GURPS! :-D. GURPS is *THE* roleplayng system, for all worlds, all genres and all situations. DoomRL was inspired by unofficial GURPS Doom, and although on the surface DoomRL seems to have levels and ToHit/ToDam, in the inside it's 100% GURPS ;-].

The truth lies in the eye of the beholder. - personally I like D20 very much ... you say it's not not flexible? Than how come so many settings can be sucessfully made in d20? I'm not saying that d20 is without flaws but so far it coveres everything I need.

Yuo say you don't like "people taking 100 bullet shots and still living"? So change it ... make pistols always provoke Massive Damage ... or use Grim'n'Gritty HP rules - rise of dead characters guaranteed ... it's another proof of d20 beeing flexible - you can easily housrule the things that you don't like so the game suits your needs ... or just find someone who did it for you...
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 08:05 »

Its fairly clear that everyone here is divided by opinions on RPG systems, I agree that any RPG system can be changed to suit the needs.

As for the lightning bolt analogy? One could argue that a bolt of lightning would be just as deadly as being sprayed with an assault rifle, But I am yet to see a D20 campaign that includes the spell Lightning Bolt and an M16 :-)

--

*ahem*

Back to the task at hand.

If Kornel wrote a Doom storyline and still has it, I reckon it would be a good idea to air the basic premise to us all (Nothing spoiler ish, Just a hint of nifty) and we can see from there, I have had no experience with GURPS and most likely few others here have, But I'm sure we can learn as we go along.

The idea of the creator of DoomRL doing this also has a bit of appeal to me.

(In summary I like the idea of Kornel DM'ing and would like to see a little bit of his Doom campaign)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 15:46 »

I'm sorry I'm flamewaring here, but all things considered, I guess I have the right to do that on my own forum :-]:

Quoting: Malek
The truth lies in the eye of the beholder. - personally I like D20 very much ... you say it's not not flexible? Than how come so many settings can be sucessfully made in d20?

You say that Windows isn't the most flexible and stable system around? Then why the VAST MAJORITY of programs are made ONLY to work on Windows? This proves that Linux is shit, or else programs would be written mostly only for Linux, right?

WotC did an awful thing when they announced the D20 Gaming Licence -- they basicaly did what IBM did many years ago -- they seemingly *opened* their product, to destroy the competition. And I hate some things that happend afterwards -- Ezample : I loved Star Wars D6. Star Wars D20 is nice, and beautifully published. But each time I played it it felt like DnD. Which destroyed the Star Wars feel for me completely. And this is just one of many examples.

I'm not saying that d20 is without flaws but so far it coveres everything I need.

All RPG systems have flaws. All RPG systems are suited for some purpose. D20 is great (if not the best choice) for fantasy powergaming. But for true roleplaying (as opposed to rollplaying) and genericness it *sucks*.

Yuo say you don't like "people taking 100 bullet shots and still living"? So change it ... make pistols always provoke Massive Damage ... or use Grim'n'Gritty HP rules - rise of dead characters guaranteed ... it's another proof of d20 beeing flexible - you can easily housrule the things that you don't like so the game suits your needs ... or just find someone who did it for you...

You say NetHack is too hard -- so change it! Edit the source and increase the average HP level of the player 10 times! It's another proof of NetHack being flexible -- you can always edit the source so the game suits your needs ... or just find someone who did it for you... :-).

Oh come on, this argument is complete VOID. Of course I can make DnD a perfect system for my gaming sessions -- I'll just use GURPS attribute system, GURPS success rolls, GURPS character creations system, etc, etc. Does that prove that the system is flexible? And is that still D20 we're talking about?

As for the lightning bolt analogy? One could argue that a bolt of lightning would be just as deadly as being sprayed with an assault rifle, But I am yet to see a D20 campaign that includes the spell Lightning Bolt and an M16 :-)

I runned such campaigns many times. Either in Amber's universe, or my own, or any that had Magic and Technology side by side. GURPS is brilliant for that...

-------

The idea of the creator of DoomRL doing this also has a bit of appeal to me.

(In summary I like the idea of Kornel DM'ing and would like to see a little bit of his Doom campaign)

I'd like doing it but currently I'm relly short on time. I need to reorganize, and then please bring me back up with this idea :-). My English sucks though, and I'm rather sure I would suck as a Storyteller in this language :-(.

* I hope nobody took that irony seriously :-P.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 09:41 »

Believe me, Your english is far better than your average American (Yes, I'm looking at you, WoW)

I'm sure you would do the job great, We have no difficulty understanding you on the forums and I know that there are at least 3 people here with english as their second language.

Please dont step out of it because you think that you suck and blow more than a mountain of naked men.*

Could you still give us a bit of your campaign though?

*Please dont kill me.

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 14:15 »

I know that there are at least 3 people here with english as their second language.

Stop looking at me :P

English is my second language (french being my first), and I think im doing relatively fine, even if im only 16 years old.

Nothing is going to be more usefull in my life than the English will (and already is), and all those forums I visit and frequently post are great opportunities in making my english better and better. Sure it's nowhere perfect, but if you can understand all what I said, isn't that a proof? :P

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 17:55 »

English is my second lang as well... (did my name show that already? :p)

I think you could do well at DMing it... well I have never really played a real RPG campaign or anything (tried once... but the DM was... arrogant and freaky :p) but this would be a nice first time ;)
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

Anonymous

D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 00:51 »

Where can I find this GURPS Doom? And this Amber system you speak of?

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 04:49 »

I found some stuff for the GURPS Doom:

Clicky

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 15:44 »

That GURPS Doom page looks pretty good. I especially liked the spec ops idea, that could make for a fast paced, adrenaline rush filled game, with lots of paranoia growing as the group journeys to the center of a ruined city.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 02:33 »

I also think that the traitor idea would work perfectly in an IRC game, You dont have real life signals to betray your guilt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All