Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 01:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: D&D, Doom and You  (Read 23881 times)

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51 »

GURPS Doom is pretty cool. And the GURPS system in general seems a lot more simple than the D20 system, and more realistic.

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2006, 16:52 »

You also have PMs which would not only mate the traitor idea better, but all kinds of situations in which the DM wants to let only one or a few people know a certain piece of information. Works for players too offcourse. No more scribbling notes or stepping out of the room which tips the rest of the group off that there's something afoot!

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2006, 19:38 »

well, i prefer the irc idea more than anything else :P And perhaps we can sue some of DoomGuy's features to help :?
Howdy.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2006, 00:44 »

Well, yesterday Turgor had created a dice roller which can preform anything between 1d1 to 999999999d999999999.

Later on I learned that twenty three nines d twenty three nines will crash it. Sorry Turgor :-)

Anyhow, We now have dice, Do you think that Andrew will be able to put it in the bot?

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 06:06 »

Just what do you really need 999999999d99999999 for, anyway? Black Mage's Hadoken? A thermonuclear bomb? The Elvish Sword of Great Antiquity from Zork? Scaramanga's Golden Gun?

Do any of those warrant a Fort save for half? =/
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2006, 10:02 »

You forgot to mention Von Neuman machines :-D

Anyhow, What is the betting we can brainstorm some campaign ideas?

If need be, I can DM the d20 system.

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 13:55 »

I'd rather not DM, but i can help with a brainstorming session about the campaign.

Also, you don't need 999999999d999999999 for anything, but it's easy enough to make it go that far. I limited it to 99999d99999 max now btw. It's not in perl so it's of no use to doomguy, but i'm sure it's not hard to script a dice roller in perl too.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2006, 22:37 »

There is a pretty nifty diece roller here (It has rolls database, which is handy)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 05:56 »

Aerton, Thomas and I are working on some content for a DoomRL based D&D.

Clicky.

Feel free to add anything you feel balanced.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 06:06 »

My God. Why the hell HAS TO BE IT DND?? :-|
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 09:02 »

Kornel, I am really disappointed with you. Not only are you at least twice as old as me, Showing the maturity of someone half my age, But also ignore a more important topic to express your immense dislike of D&D in a really unconstructive way.

I chose D&D because it is the system I and my partners in development are familiar with and because we can easily distill the essence of DRL and Doom into a clear and consice campaign, We are even using the DRL statistics as a baseline to work on!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2006, 09:27 »

1) I wrote why I dislike DnD and I don't feel the need to repeat myself
2) DoomRL is based (internaly too) on GURPS
3) GURPS Doom is freely available and a link to it is given in this thread
4) GURPS is a quick to learn system and the lite version (all that is needed) is available as a 32 page booklet free to download.

I can't imagine how with the given arguments people can still choose an inherently broken system like DnD :-(
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2006, 12:11 »

DnD3 is not a perfect system, but it's not an inheritely broken either. It meets the goals it was designed for. Arguing which one is better is more broken makes no sense. Taking an example from your arguments, staying alive after a crossbow hit is not a misfeature, it's intended. It may be intolarable in a game based on a Lovecraft books, but can be desirable in another setting. You can survive a direct rocket hit in Doom. You can survive that in DRL too.

Saying all that, I personally don't really care what system is used (exact formula of dice roling is not even a secondary matter). Anticheese is the most active person in regard to the IRC game (at least when I am online), so it's quite naturally that choice is made by him as he is making the biggest part. He picked a thing he likes and is familiar with.

Kornel, no one disrespect your views, opinions or the thing you created, but should you bash people for doing the things the way they like, especially when you are keeping a distance?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2006, 15:00 »

Of course you're right Aerton (as always :-)).

My violent reaction is by part based on the same foundations as the hate of many Linux users towards Microsoft. D20 destroyed many, many great roleplayting systems, and railroaded the RPG scene into DnD clones. Now there are only a few striving RPG systems left (notably GURPS and WoD) -- before D20 there were hundreds.

Still tough, I'd argue, that for a IRC game a simple system should be used, and using GURPS/DoomRL would have the advantage, that all the stats would be there already, and the system would need only minor tweaking for the RPG world. GURPS basic rules (and especialy the subset/simplification used by DoomRL) are so simple that one could tell them in less than 5 minutes.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2006, 00:11 »

I've had experience with GURPS, D&D, and even the system used for Call of Cthulhu (what's it called, Basic or something) and even I must say that GURPS is byfar the best of the three. Very simplistic in design, but so flexible it can fit any universe. Plus, the combat is very realistic, which I like.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All