Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 19:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: D&D, Doom and You  (Read 23595 times)

Magekind

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2006, 07:15 »

Hmmm, yes and no. Even if they've copyrighted the d20 system, that's not going to stop me from getting a set of dice, writing down a handful of "guidelines", and going at a game with a few friends. D&D or not; even if I take the D&D book in hand, I can "house-rule" out everything I don't like.
<br />
<br />As for GURPS - I'd have to look it up. I've actually played d6 games before with a sheet of graph paper and one or two friends.

EDIT: I can also "house-rule" in anything I want. We had a couple of the fellows around here make themselves a Jedi class...

Silencer

• Private
    • View Profile
D&D, Doom and You
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2006, 06:23 »

I have to agree with Kornel on D20, I was never a big fan of D&D and I've played it on and off for about 16 years. I also played Star Wars D6 from the original release, when Star Wars D20 was released I had a look and had to withstand the upchuck reflex, it might be beautifully published but some aspects are badly broken.

Now I'm not a big fan of GURPS either, but that's more to do with some of the crud released for it than the system. But as Kornel says also the lite rules are freely available and more than sufficient with the existing Doom supplement.

Personally if I felt the need to make a new one I'd actually go for Hero system, which I find easier to deal with than GURPS or D20, and I can work with the existing rules to quite happily build a game without needing to add custom rules normally. Unfortunately most people who look at Hero are scared off by the size of the book, and the amount of tables and stuff in the main book. But as I've frequently said to my players, you can frequently get away with only a knowledge of the specific genre book being used without ever picking up the core.

I would advise you look at the GURPS Doom before trying to build a Doom D20, GURPS is easy to get into, I found it less confusing than D&D when I first looked at it, and a lot quicker to get into working with. And if you don't like it then build your own. If nothing else it should give you ideas.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All