Chaosforge Forum

• April 15, 2024, 21:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Barrels!  (Read 4410 times)

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Barrels!
« on: August 13, 2009, 00:45 »

Just a thought, it would be really cool, if a barrel that gets hit by a rocket or gets caught in an explosion, changes its possition a bit. This way, moving barrels away from a lever (my, could that be the explosion lever?) wouldn't guarantee that hte lever (or you) gets caught in the explosion. In the beta, if an imp hits the marine with a fireball it is possible for him to move even two spaces. So why barrels shouldn't?
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:22 »

because they violently explode on contact with anything stronger than a stiff breeze, I'd imagine

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07 »

The problem is you still want to be able to be able to break barrels with bullets so you can't make them tough enough to be able to suffer a knockback without blowing up.

On a related matter i'd like to see barrels getting knocked back before exploding. (I'd see fun times with shotguns and close-by barrels :P).

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:50 »

The problem is you still want to be able to be able to break barrels with bullets so you can't make them tough enough to be able to suffer a knockback without blowing up.

On a related matter i'd like to see barrels getting knocked back before exploding. (I'd see fun times with shotguns and close-by barrels :P).

If the barrel gets hit by an explosion, it should get knockbacked, just a little bit. That's what I am talking about from the beginning [;
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:03 by Melon »

... niczym bracia!

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50 »

Well if there was an explosion where the barrel was in the first place, wouldn't that explosion destroy the items anyways?

Plus - if this were implemented, barrel special levels would become a new hazard - instead of just staying outside of a certain distance from barrels you can see, you need to somehow(!) anticipate which direction the barrel chain reactions will push them and stay FARTHER away from barrels.  Plus, the game mechanics of the order in which barrel explosions are handled become far more important as a different order of resolution would give different results as to where explosions take place.

didit

• Private FC
  • there is no man behind the mask, only a legend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04 »

Melon has a point, if DooMRL is trying to mimic doom, then 'barrel-damage-pushing' should be included. but, like in good old doom 1, anything more than an half missed shotgun shot would cause it to detonate. also, while we are on the topic of barrels, perhaps on harder levels (such as the hell one's) we could have some more deviating/powerful ones with a higher splash and damage. just an idea....
"there is no man behind this mask, only a legend.... and a broom handle so it doesn't fall over."

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 11:10 »

Meh... I know moving barrels when shot is Doomish, but at the other hand I'd think it would ruin part of the strategy. I think for a roguelike (which DoomRL still is after all) it's more logic to just keep it this way... Let barrels move when pushed, and just explode in the same position when shot.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 15:00 »

also, while we are on the topic of barrels, perhaps on harder levels (such as the hell one's) we could have some more deviating/powerful ones with a higher splash and damage. just an idea....
Let's just say that Kornel is way ahead of you. Wait until next stable release.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 17:56 »

The barrel explodes! The cyberdemon is turned into a pile of gibs! The cyberdemon is turned into a pile of gibs! The cyberdem... yeah, I'll shut up now.

Time to figure out how to make cyberdemons (with normal LOS, of course) appear past level 26 randomly, and appear IN EVERY DAMN EMPTY SPACE in level 75+ :P

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 18:07 »

The barrel explodes! The cyberdemon is turned into a pile of gibs! The cyberdemon is turned into a pile of gibs! The cyberdem... yeah, I'll shut up now.

Time to figure out how to make cyberdemons (with normal LOS, of course) appear past level 26 randomly, and appear IN EVERY DAMN EMPTY SPACE in level 75+ :P
So you have finished Ao1000 on Nightmare! already?

... niczym bracia!

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 18:11 »

Considering I still haven't unlocked either, no. I just want to be silly. ;P

noone will ever part me from my large medpacks you hear me AoI

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 18:28 »

Ao1000 :DDDDDDDD

EDIT : Actually, how about it -- Angel of Infinity -- you can never finish, but you can go into further levels -- Master Traits can be combined, level cap is at the end of possible trait choices, and the monsters start to gain accuracy +2 and +10 hp each 25 levels after 50 :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 18:30 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 18:42 »

Make it so that every time you reach max traits, push the 'limitless' traits' max up by one. Also, make the angel available from the start :P

o hai look I can fire off the whole of both my pistol clips in a tenth of a second, then reload them in another tenth of a second :D did I also mention my pistols do 2d65536 damage? :P

Zi

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 19:27 »

Lower floors on Ao100 already push the ammo consumption to the max - if you don't find former captains you run out of stocked ammo (1000+ 10mm rounds in backpack!) in one level or two.  after 2 or 3 +10hp's enemies would soak up a ridiculous amount of ammo.

I am intrigued at uncapped traits though - and removing the level cap for stackable traits would be nice, too (Son of a Gun 4?  *rubs hands in glee*)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 20:35 »

Hey, great idea. Not to say, that utterly mad!
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.
Pages: [1]