Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 08:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Linux version issue  (Read 2167 times)

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Linux version issue
« on: August 16, 2009, 10:31 »

I usualy play DoomRL in my virtualised windows due to some sound-related bug. Basically I have no music plus i can only play 2-3 level before a random game freeze come - can be on various actions (last time : while firing with pistol, level 2).

Is this known, perhaps even beta corrected bug ?

edit : oh and it's 0.9.8.10 version.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:39 by Krok »

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
Re: Linux version issue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 14:22 »

So lemme get this straight.
There's a Linux version of DoomRL, which requires you to fetch a sound library (read the error messages you get from running doomrl in the terminal to find out which), and yet you're playing the Windows version in either DOSbox, Wine, or VMWare.

In that case, you really shouldn't be complaining about bugs. >_<

For the record, I have yet to encounter a real bug in the Linux version of DoomRL. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 14:25 by Generic »

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 15:13 »

I get no error message, the terminal where the games run freeze and i have to close/kill it so i got no output. I checked the log file but no help from there either. It'd be nice if you could link me to a post talking about that sound lib to make it run natively :>

Btw I'm _NOT_ complaining. I'm just using this section for it's purpose, I have trouble making things werk, I make community aware of it so they can fix it or help people fix it themselves with a readme/forum post-it/whatever bc so far I've read no such thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 15:23 by Krok »

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 15:40 »

Do you have the libsdl-mixer1.2 package? If you don't, DoomRL will not run on Linux. EVER.

And quick tip; bugs caused by an emulator are never a game's fault if people who are playing it natively never get the bug.

Krok

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 15:43 »

I didn't make myself clear enough in OP, i have this bug when I play it natively. I just use virtualisation to fix it, it works perfectly when virtualised but it is kinda sad I guess you agree.

Thanks for the name of the lib, I'll give it a try.

edit : Checked. It's not that.

Any clue of what it could be ?

edit 2 : Realised that it's related to a problem I got with my soundcard drivers that doomrl can't do a damn about.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 16:13 by Krok »
Pages: [1]