Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fallout Online  (Read 15826 times)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
Fallout Online
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:15 »

I want to tell you about Fallout Online. I was a little sceptical as i heard about it because of many fan projects with such theme, that wasn't good, or wasn't Fallout, but this one is great. Our Russian guys were working on it for 5 years, they have written their own engine from the scrap (that looks like Fallout, feels like Fallout, so i won't be able to tell, where is Fallout, and where is FOnline) that is using .dat files from the original Fallout without any changes. Not so long ago that project entered a phase of third open beta test. Currently 2 servers are active. One is mostly Russian-speaking (but still there is a clan of Canadians that are performing military operations, that quite often means massacre of the city population, including low-level players and NPC), quite hardcore because of many factors. It takes place after the events of Fallout 2, and is using it's map, locations, and stuff. Lots of quests, but it's hard to perform them because of hi-levels that are killing everything on their sight (and most of quest wasn't translated yet to English). So work on this server is in progress. And second is for English-speaking people. It has absolutely different fighting system, a much deeper crafting, it is more user-friendly, gives an ability to create/join/manage clans, own a base, and much more. And there you can stand in a city for an hour without being afraid that somebody will kill you. But it has less quests. Also the levelcap there is 21-th levels - don't know, is it good or not. I advice you to try second server, if you'll start playing. Better join today because today was the full wipe of second server, so if you will start today - you will be on equal rights with others.)

Kornel, sorry that it's not related to DooMRL - this game ate my brain. %)

Fixed the url for ya :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:22 by Malek Deneith »
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout Online
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:24 »

It has absolutely different fighting system
Care to elaborat on that? Also I might check it out, in spare time.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:25 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:14 »

Sorry, no.
I loved Fallout very, very much, but no for MMO's that are for hardocore players, with no RP inside etc.
NO!
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:25 »

Sorry, no.
I loved Fallout very, very much, but no for MMO's that are for hardocore players, with no RP inside etc.
NO!

How much enemies do we need to kill to gain another level?
Let's go to the Lazars cave, there is 10% chance that Gauntlets of Power will spawn there!
asdfasdf!

Typical chat of a MMO [:
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 13:21 »

You forgot the +15 Vindicator of Radscorpion Slaying, +1 Perception, +1 Charisma.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 13:25 »

He forgot, for it was Cursed -15 Forgettable Vindicator of Radscorpion Slaying, -1 Perception, -1 Charisma...

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 13:29 »

He forgot, for it was Cursed -15 Forgettable Vindicator of Radscorpion Slaying, -1 Perception, -1 Charisma...
Congratulation, you have found the Fuckenator, +20 to attack, +50 to damage. Work for one hour after midnight, every first sunday of a month. It has to be a leap year
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 13:34 »

Care to elaborat on that? Also I might check it out, in spare time.

Different from the system on the first server. Overall the combat system doesn't differ much from Fallout combat. The main change: all PvP fights are real-time and APs are restoring over time with rate depending on your agility. Combat mode ends after some time if no one hit you and you didn't attacked. Also all weapons and armors are loosing condition when used, or damaged. They could be repaired with repair skill, but that fact should be taken into account. More about all the changes you can learn from the manual. It's not so big and quite readable.)

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 13:43 »

Sorry, no.
NO!

Well, munchkins are everywhere - that's right. But there are still a lot of people that cares only about roleplay. I don't know about English server, but on Russian even now there are a lot of clans, that are formed only be playing people: Raiders that are just raiding towns for some loot, Ranges that are hunting everyone with low karma, Headhunters guild, where it's possible to make bounty on someone's head, "Blue jumpsuit" Bar, where it's possible to just sit, eat some rad fruits and drink some rad beer, Wasteland Media, that are just travelling, learning news, and broadcasting them on their radio wave, a group of actors, who ride from town to town and perform some weird stuff, and, of course, the "glorious" Army Of The North, about which it's hard to say: are they hunting player killers, or are they hunting just everything. And that is only a small part.

And, no, it's not an MMO. It's a multiplayer Fallout. Game that allows to play Fallout, but taking in account the other people. Without great bosses, raids, ultimate items of uberness. Even it's author is positioning it like that. Hardcore it's because of fully-lootable corpse, no noob locations, where no hi-level can go, and all that casual stuff from MMOs that serves one need - to make little kiddies not to cry. It's a Fallout, damn you - no one gives a shit about your feelings and there is no centralized government, or law that can punish the opressor. Nothing, even money and armor won't be saved if someone will kill you. You can only ask to give your loot back to you (which only rarely anyone will do). There are only NCR and Vault City, where you will feel safe because weapons are prohibited there. It's a real wild-west because everything with a gun near you is a threat and if you both are using the same way - you keep him covered all the time he is near and watching all his moves.

Just give it a try. If you won't like it - you'll leave.

Edit: one more thing about munchkinism. I draw your attention to the fact that the levelcap on second server is only 21 levels - it's enough only to raise skills of your specialization. You won't find any guy with APA, Gauss Rifle and 800 hp that can do anything in the world with 100% chance. And there is no player that cannot be killed by a group of people. So, as the result: groups of people rules in post-apocalyptic world. Alone you will have a hard time, while even with 2-3 fellows you'll have much bigger survival chances. Especially if they can perform tasks that you can't. Like warrior + crafter + medic + scout.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 14:36 by Blade »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 14:07 »

Hmph, why not... ?

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 14:55 »

Like Wild West you say? Like in Urban Dead?
But how to register?

Going for technician (repair&science&small guns) with high charisma.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 15:06 by Gargulec »

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 15:16 »

Like Wild West you say? Like in Urban Dead?
But how to register?

Haven't played Urban Death, so i can't say.

Download client, download Fallout .dat files, launch client (don't forget to change client settings to the English server), under "enter" button will be a registration. Registration is mixed with character creation.

P.S. If someone will play now - i'm near Klamath, searching for brox flowers and xander roots, and, probably, if there will be no luck with this - cleaning out brahmin shit in Klamath. -____-
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 15:24 by Blade »

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 15:26 »

Urband Dead- zombie apocalypse MMO. I am currently taking a break from it, but will be back in next week or so. Great game, with awesome RP, and some really nasty Pking events (like Samahian Slaughter- 300 deaths in one night, thanks to numerous zombie hordes and PKers warbands)

Ha, I have dat files from my Fallout 2!

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 15:35 »

Urband Dead- zombie apocalypse MMO. I am currently taking a break from it, but will be back in next week or so. Great game, with awesome RP, and some really nasty Pking events (like Samahian Slaughter- 300 deaths in one night, thanks to numerous zombie hordes and PKers warbands)

Talking about RP events:

Ha, I have dat files from my Fallout 2!

They'll fit.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 17:05 »

Tried the game. Sorry, too much Russian. I'll wait for English release.
Pages: [1] 2  All