Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Machine Spirit PBF  (Read 118948 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Machine Spirit PBF
« on: August 30, 2009, 15:55 »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prologue
The spires of hive city Carnelia launch high into the skies, high above the dwellings of scums and commoners. Only nobility lives there. Or so you thought, before you were taken to the palace of Lady Inquisitor Pistis Sophia.
Now, you rest on confortable sofas, alone in a big hall, quietly admiring a painting of Emperor Victorious on vaulting, supported by numerous gilded columns. Only the wealthiest of nobles could afford such a jewel of craftsmanship. But here, everything is such a jewel. Walls, doors, floors- they are all made with unimaginable, almost inhuman skill. Combined, they would be worth enough thrones to buy an ancient space-ship.

Through large windows, a gentle wind blows, fresh and cold.

You were waiting for the last hour. No one came to attend you, like the inquisitor forgot about her new tools.
Guardsman and assassin. Cleric and tech-priest. Psyker.

What fate awaits you, is an enigma.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 15:26 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
Re: Machine Spirit PBF
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 16:42 »

Private Tobias Halsted took full advantage of the comfortable seating as soon as he arrived, going by the reasoning that if you do get a chance at some comfort, take it, because it sure as hell won't last very long. So, the guardsman lounged around, making himself comfortable despite being dressed in field uniform and combat armour. Still, his weapons were stowed and secured, guns wrapped and unloaded, ammunition kept separately.

He wasn't about to suggest this period of rest and luxury be cut short.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 17:08 »

Lazerus waitend patiently. The others didn't look like eager to break the silence, and that suited him fine. Instead he settled for evaluating his companions. The guardsman looked typical enough, and that at least should mean he's reliable. The tech-priest was another matter - at first Laz was alerted by presence of Mechanicus adept in the same room, but now, having observed him for a while he felt more confused than alerted - this cog-head seemed worryingly... organic... when compared to others. The other two were harder to guess.

Twiddling his thumbs he wondered when the host is going to appear.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Marcus Constantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:09 »

He was shocked a little. He was living in a hive, but never in such a high region. The artwork, the architecture was indeed magnificent. The one who made this really had taste.
Marcus waited for this to happen his entire (and short) life. Finally, chance to prove himself as a true follower and devoted servant of the Emperor. This extasy shouldn't be showed to the others... This is a good time to medite.

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:20 »

The woman with a tell-tale Scholastica Psykana sanctioning brand on her forehead ignores you. As far as you can tell, she appears to be engaged in a staring contest with the Emperor's portrait.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:01 »

The Doors at the opposite end of the hall opened, letting a woman inside. Clad in a white and and silver robe, rustling with numerous purity seals, she approached, bowing gently before each of you.
Something about her was not quite right. She seemed too slender, too slim. Too inhuman.

"Lady Inquisitor Pistis Sophia awaits you. Please, allow me to guide you to her." Her calm and very melodic voice was no less strange than her appearance.

And then, when she bowed to assassin and Tobias one more time, when you noticed small, ornamented collar fastened around her neck, when you grew certain, that she is not a human, her black hair moved a bit, allowing you to see her ears.

Pointy ears.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:32 by Gargulec »

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:33 »

Halsted made a quick warding gesture as soon as he realised the woman wasn't human. He was quite noticeably uncomfortable about her presence, but still, he had little choice but to follow. One didn't just turn down an inquisitor. Even one that had dealings with a xeno. Not that he was particularly eager to follow, of course - he let someone else go in first.

"Nobody said there'd be bloody Eldar around," he muttered, looking over to Lazarus, who seemed to be the only other relatively normal human around.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Marcus Constantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 14:22 »

I was taught that Emperor's wisdom and might comes in many forms. However, an Eldar... I must not show my disconcert!
Marcus gets up slowly
"Then let us follow you, lady" he said.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 08:03 by Marcus Constantine »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 15:25 »

Upon realizing who the woman was Laz's eybrows risen for a moment and his cheek twitched before he regained his calm.

- Well it's the Inquisition - I'd be surprised if we're going to hear about the half of what there will be going around... at least that one looks safe - he replied to Halsted's comment and made a suggestive tap at his neck.
- Either way we shouldn't make our employer wait... - Laz stood up and followed the priest.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 17:09 »

"The only way to treat with a xeno is to kill it," Halsted muttered unhappily, but followed the cleric and the assassin all the same. Killing xenos might be the only way to treat with them, but keeping an inquisitor waiting certainly wasn't a recommended way to treat with one...

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:38 »

The psyker examines the pointy-eared woman for a few seconds, then lets out an unpleasant throaty chuckle:

"Heh, heh... looks like our circus of beasts and freaks keeps getting better and better. Time to go and meet the ringmaster, I guess."

Still chuckling, she follows the rest of the group out of the door.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 16:55 »

The Eldar spoke no more. Instead she lead you into a maze of corridors, spanning below the palace hall you occupied for the last few hours. Soon you realized that, if not for her guidance, you would surely have became lost in the complex. And only one Emperor knows what you could have stumbled upon then. Traps? Sophia secrets? One thing is sure, you would not live to tell the tale to others.
However the Eldar servant (or slave) confidently guided you through the maze, to an empty small chamber.

Save for the small steel door, it was empty. Or so you thought, until you heard a cold rough voice behind you:
"You did well, Naya. You're free now."
The Eldar quickly turned and walked out the chamber.

As you looked towards the voice source, you saw a tall and scrawny men, with long grey hair and eyes of the same colour. He watched you with a mixture of pity and disdain.
"So you're the new meat that Sophia spoke about? Ah, don't answer, I know it already. She is in inside, and she does not like to wait..."
He pointed towards the door and grinned nastily.

Pistis Sophia's office was at the exact opposite of the hall - you can hardly recall visiting a place more ascetic in look and design. No furniture could be seen except for the low table, and the only source of light was a weak flickering lamp pack hanging from the celling.
You wouldn't expect an Inquisitor to work in such place. Nor would you expect an Inquisitor to look like that.
You imagined Pistis Sophia in a variety of ways. But none of you would ever have dreamt of her as slim short girl (no more than nineteen or twenty years old) with long golden hair covering her face. She looked more like a noble princess or, even if you would not dare to think of her as such, a courtesan from the spires of hive-city.

She did not greet you.
"Let's make things clear - you are not Acolytes yet, only mere initiates, maybe with some potential."
It was sufficient to hear her voice to make all your doubts about her profession fade away, for it was as cold as Fenrisian winter and utterly emotionless. Frightening.
"Maybe, if you prove your value, through faith and ruthless efficiency, I'll accept you as my servants. But I do not expect it. Anyway, I take it you know why you're here?"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 08:01 by Gargulec »

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 18:03 »

Halsted stood at attention in the presence of the inquisitor, regardless of her appearance. Boot camp had taught him it never did any good to stare at a superior.

"To serve the Emperor, in whatever manner found most fitting by the agent of His Most Holy Inquisition," the guardsman answered, as if replying to a drill sergeant, then his shoulders sagged just a bit.
"I cannot speak for the others," he motioned with his head at the rest of the potential acolytes, "but I've not been briefed on the nature of the mission, beyond that."

He didn't sound too resentful. But then, living a life on a need-to-know basis was commonplace in the Imperial Guard.

Marcus Constantine

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 01:29 »

How come a girl as young as me can be an inquisitor? That's... unbelievable? Neverless, I am here, I am here....
"To prove I am worth to serve the Emperor, whether it is fighting or enlighting the unbelievers!" - Marcus said quickly and proudly. Perhaps to hide the fact that he was still uneasy about the whole situation.

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 03:38 »

"Noble lady, even if the reason for our presence here was known to me once, I can't seem to recall it. My memory, alas, isn't what it used to be."

Pass briefly taps on her mindscrub-scarred head to illustrate the point - and to conceal the fealing of unease that flickers in her eyes in the inquisitor's presence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24