Chaosforge Forum

• June 21, 2024, 14:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doom Singleplayer Pen & Paper RPG  (Read 14750 times)

Super Jamie

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
Doom Singleplayer Pen & Paper RPG
« on: August 30, 2009, 16:30 »

Inspired by a tabletop RPG thread on Doomworld, I've been playing around with a pen and paper version of Doom. I don't really have anyone to play with, so I made it singleplayer. All maps are 5 rooms generated by dice, with a compulsory boss level every 10 maps. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, there are no skills or saving throws, just Hit/Dodge and Damage.

It's based off the Doom PC game rules, all damages and monster hitpoints are just halved. I've playtested it a little bit, it's probably way unbalanced for the high-tier monsters and I suspect someone would have to be Invincible or very lucky to defeat a Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind, but it's at least a potentially-complete implementation up to MAP30 and beyond.

Check it out if you like. Any questions, suggestions, criticisms and comments would be greatly appreciated.

[edit] I allowed myself attaching the file to the post -- Kornel cares
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 17:15 by Kornel Kisielewicz »

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Doom Singleplayer Pen & Paper RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 02:22 »

Inspired by a tabletop RPG thread on Doomworld, I've been playing around with a pen and paper version of Doom. I don't really have anyone to play with, so I made it singleplayer.
P&P RPG without a GM and other players ? Also - what about the plot, the setting, etc ? If the game is less plot-driven than D&D, it's better off as a computer game.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:53 »

Hey, there are one-player rp's.
And this looks more like a board-game to me.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Floyd

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:47 »

Ooh, someone else has been toying around with a tabletop-game of Doom. And not talking about the boardgame.

I've been trying to create a "tabletop" RPG, loosely based on Doom and somewhat based on Doom RL. (For instance, all the weapons currently have the same stats for testing purposes). It all started when I thought it would be cool to DM Doom RL with unknowing players entering the Unholy Cathedral and finding out that their guns don't work when they encounter AoD.

It needs a crapload of work, I need to develop a simple and effective combat system to keep it fast paced and the focus on killing.

Super Jamie

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 16:54 »

You're right Vestin, it probably would do better as a computer game. It would definitely make testing and balancing alot easier! Except I don't really know how to code beyond basic scripts. If I can learn C well enough maybe I will make my own little roguelike :) That implies it would work well as a boardgame too, even though there are no movement points or squares involved. I have the Doom boardgame for figurines so maybe I'll give that a try too!

It would probably be alot more fun with two people, one to be the GM and one to be the marine, but I designed the mechanics so it's primarily solo. I don't really have anyone to play with and a solo RPG is something I've wanted for a while but have never really found a good implementation of.

Keep going with your tabletop game Floyd! Admittedly most of the work creating monsters, weapons and balancing (for computer play) was done for me but this has still been a fun and ongoing learning experience, it's the first time I've done anything like this. The guys over at 1km1kt.net appear to have 24hr RPG contests quite often, their previous work may be useful to you (I based my room generation off an RPG on that site) and their forums have some very friendly and helpful members.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 17:04 »

You're right Vestin, it probably would do better as a computer game. It would definitely make testing and balancing alot easier!
It not only would... It does ! That's why we're here, isn't it ;) ?

Brewtal Legend

• Second Lieutenant
  • I am Hellbound
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 02:49 »

I would keep going with it. It's a cool idea. I also play solo rpg/pen and paper games. You can find quite a few at Boardgamegeek.com or 1km1kt.com. There is a doom solo game called Doom Semper Fidelis. It's pretty fun, but lacking a bit.

The most important part of making a solo paper game is giving the player some type of strategy to implement and meaningful decisions.

You should probably keep it as a pen & paper game. We already have Doom and DoomRL for playing computer versions of doom. There are other fan games too like rts, diablo style, and side scrolling doom games.

I hope to see a new version.

p.s. I also make board games/ pen & paper games. It's a good challenge to make games with limited types of mechanics and thinking of creative new ones.
-Legend

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:40 »

Heh, I used to make P&P games as a kid and play em with my sis... Well, until I discovered Rogue :D
I'd like to join the further dev of this game :) After all P&P still more healty than computer games! d(^^D)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 12:19 »

*cough* Mrazerty, you'd better work on CF public relations ;) *cough*
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 12:31 »

*cough* Mrazerty, you'd better work on CF public relations ;) *cough*
Heh, now that's a coincidence... *exactly* at this very moment I read that post, I'm asking my friend for those promo pics! :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]