Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 06:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [Balance] The BFG - Too Awesome to Use  (Read 5639 times)

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
[Balance] The BFG - Too Awesome to Use
« on: September 06, 2009, 02:36 »

I've noticed that in my runs, I never use the BFG unless I'm fighting the cyberdemon (and even then, I'm usually not playing rapidfire so I might use the LS or a shotgun). In my most recent Nightmare! shotgun game, I decided that maybe my shotguns weren't going to be enough for this level and that I had cells to spare, so I might as well fire off a couple of hundred cells and just take out the cyberdemon with my shotgun.

So I go up to the nearest 10 Revenant + 2 Vile pack (I had Iro 3, TaN 3 and red armour) and start shooting. I realise about 2 BFG shots in that I had accomplished little other than getting them all to 30% HP and destroying my reloading cover. With no phase devices, I died shortly thereafter.

It was a brutal reminder (I was on level 24) of why I never use the BFG, because it MIGHT kill everything but it DEFINITELY destroys all of your cover.

I suggest making the chance for a BFG to destroy walls MUCH lower, but keep the item destruction rate about the same as it is now.

Or change it so that the BFG has 2 explosion radiuses, one for full enemy damage and high wall destruction chance, one for half enemy damage and no wall destruction chance. The first explosion would be as large as a normal rocket, the second would be anything that you can see, no matter how far away it is.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: [Balance] The BFG - Too Awesome to Use
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:06 »

That sounds good, but i'd rather make the BFG not blow up items.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:12 »

Both BFG 9000 and 10K will be tweaked to increase their awesomeness (Ticket #90). Suggestions still welcome :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 05:16 »

Yes- reveal what the Doom are those tickets? :D
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52 »

I always saw the BFG from Doom and Doom2 like a very powerful cone fire weapon disregarding number of targets, very much like the shotguns work in DoomRL. In my opinion a BFG behaving like a double shotgun (maybe just a little bit wider, longer range, and capable of destroying walls) with more than 50 damage on a point blank shot would feel a lot more Doomish* to me.

*Doomish like in 'this BFG shot will be that much sweeter if i can shoot it to the FACE'.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 17:43 »

In Doom 1 and 2 when you fire the BFG9000, the green ball flies out and no matter where it hits, a green explosion surrounds the enemies where they stand. The big key was: If you couldn't see it, you couldnt hurt it with the BFG. The damage done by the BFG was inversely proportional to the distance from the shooter, not the projectile

In DoomRL, it would be similar to how it launches a projectile right now, but instead of a huge blast radius at impact, all the enemies within visual (+2?) would get a green Vile-type explosion around them, and that would be the damage + destructive radius.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 17:55 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 17:49 »

You mean the Skulltag BFG10K? It was essentially an extremely sped up, hitscan rocket launcher. There is no BFG10K in vanilla Doom.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 17:51 »

You mean the Skulltag BFG10K? It was essentially an extremely sped up, hitscan rocket launcher. There is no BFG10K in vanilla Doom.

I meant to slip a Doom 3, in there. Sorry
[22/13/9/2/0]

Generic

• Second Lieutenant
  • the local Doom consistency checker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 17:52 »

Well, there isn't a BFG10K in Doom 3 either. Only the pistol, shotgun, machinegun, chaingun, rocket launcher, grenades, plasma rifle, BFG9000, and Soul Cube.

Oh, and the Double Shotgun and Hellstone for Resurrection of Evil.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 17:54 »

Hey you're right...a bit of googling and its from the Quake series paying tribute to Doom
[22/13/9/2/0]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 02:28 »

We still haven't got the thunderbolt though <:
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

aoanla

• Elder
  • Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 14:28 »

Both BFG 9000 and 10K will be tweaked to increase their awesomeness (Ticket #90). Suggestions still welcome :)

Weeel. Essentially, there are 3 different BFGs in id's ouvre.

The BFG 2704 (and the BFG 10K from Quake 3) are basically plasma-gun-on-steroids. Massively rapid fire high-damage projectiles (which use up your ammo at an alarming rate).

The BFG 9k which we all know and love from Doom. Area effect on impact plus damage cone in direction the firer is pointing at time of impact.

The BFG 10k from Quake 2. Projectile which damages entities close to its trajectory before doing large area effect damage to things visible to both the projectile and the firer on impact.

I can't help thinking that the obvious way to make DoomRL's BFG 9k more awesome would be to introduce some emulation of the 9k "damage cone" from Doom. Perhaps the cone points in the direction you last moved, in addition to the area effect at the impact point?

The 10k in DoomRL is clearly close to the Quake 3 version, with massive rapid fire. Perhaps you could merge it with the Quake 3 version and add a "damage corridor" where entities close to the path taken by the projectile are subject to a certain amount of damage.

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 21:41 »

I don't think "too awesome to use" applies here - isn't that when ammo is so precious/rare that the weapon is saved up and never used?

In any case, I can't comment about Doomishness, but the BFG9000 serves a useful purpose in the current game.  It's a very powerful weapon against LARGE crowds (the rocket launcher frankly just isn't that powerful, and the range doesn't even compare), which is an incredibly useful utility.  It's powerful no matter what trait build you are using, but does not benefit too much from a particular build (reloader does help), so it's a weapon that fits for everyone.  (It's something you can use to fight Cybie with even if you have virtually no levels.  Fighting Cybie with any other weapon class, you need traits.)  And it can be useful very effectively to CURVE your shot around corners, to hit things despite a wall being between you and the target (the only other weapon that can do this: revenant's launcher).  This is not the same as simply firing from behind cover.
Pages: [1]