Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 22:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Publicity  (Read 9085 times)

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
Publicity
« on: September 12, 2009, 22:26 »

1* Do you know what's the first thing that comes up when you search YouTube for 'roguelike' ?

That's right.

It:
* is the ONLY DOOM:RL video we have on YT (AFAIK)
* is short (4:15, not even half of the 10min limit)
* is poorly edited (shows a lot of unnecessary things)
* contains poor gameplay (the guy dies ON LEVEL 2 !)
* shows v.0.9.8.7

It has still managed to get 5,877 views regardless. This number may seem small and insignificant but it's large enough to indicate a huge potential for a similar video without the aforementioned flaws.
While Kornel already suggested this, it would be nice to finally get it done.
Here's what we need:
* one person modern hardware, DOOM:RL skills and a screen recorder of choice
* one person (may be the same as above) with basic video-editing skills
I know we might use the footage we already have but it would be nice to show as up-to-date version as possible.
Also - it would be nice to have footage made with this kind of exposure in mind.

2* We already know that some people enjoy watching others play games, right ? Sure - some may prefer to either play themselves or use hotseat/splitscreen or LAN multiplayer... but most people don't mind watching how others do it, from time to time. Think of it as pr0n (a broad analogy) - even if you have a very fruitful sex life you might still enjoy watching how others (both n00bs and/or pros) do it.
Also - being able to interact and possible having some sort of impact adds to the excitement (think: webcams and cybersex).

So - how can we use this type of curiosity for our own agenda ? Aside from the obvious "dude - what's that ?" over-the-shoulder types of interactions we have... live streams !
I even managed to find a single roguelike stream. I don't know how many Crawl Stone Soup fan are out there but 500 views this month sound impressive for such a thing.

It's pretty easy to guess what my point is. We have quite a few DOOM:RL fans from different time zones and as such - we could create single, dedicated stream that would be on air (almost) round the clock ;).

(The only problem so far seems to be that Procaster works only for DirectX games and full desktop... but we can easily fix that by choosing the desktop broadcast and running DOOM:RL with console font set to something like Lucida Console, 36)

3* The DOOM:RL site should get somewhat updated with new screenshots, embedded videos from #1 and stream from #2.

4* Once we get done with all of the above, we will finally have something to show people. This is the point when we can spread the world by forum sigs, tweets... Whatever.

Any other suggestions ?

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
Re: Publicity
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 23:14 »

Good stuff - I've discussed a marketing plan with Kornel and the first deliverable is in a few days. There is going to be a big push in the future for bringing in a real fan base, especially since the graphics version is within reach.

We're going to aim for a broad, comprehensive approach to getting the word out (as much as zero budget can bring, anyway) The YouTube items you mentioned are a clear component of the message. Good eye and thanks for the input. You'll be seeing more within a month or two, for sure!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 23:17 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 23:37 »

I'm highly surprised that doomRL is the first hit, considering our ludicrously low fanbase and the fact that there's been countless lets plays of bigger and "better" roguelikes.

Like nethack, for example.

I can scrounge up some footage of UV gameplay and someone can edit it together. My video editing skills stretch as far as "Can cut and paste videos in Windows Movie Maker".
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 23:44 »

Sounds like a good start Thomas

Anyone else with ideas, skills, industry contacts, or motivation, feel free to chime in here and you're guaranteed a call back :P
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 07:00 »

OMG, I'd be greatful :D
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Floyd

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:09 »

Sounds like a good start Thomas

Anyone else with ideas, skills, industry contacts, or motivation, feel free to chime in here and you're guaranteed a call back :P

Doom RL short and humorous commercial. I'll have it done in near future and then decide if it's decent quality to be shown around.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 11:55 »

Floyd, that would be great!
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 13:16 »

Such as, he's owning hundreds of Hell Barons, Spidies, ArchViles, and at the end he gets killed by a former human melee attack? :p
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 16:06 »

Bah, I couldn't get the damn thing to record video. It recorded my sound okay though, weirdly enough.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Floyd

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 05:40 »

Such as, he's owning hundreds of Hell Barons, Spidies, ArchViles, and at the end he gets killed by a former human melee attack? :p

I was thinking along these lines:

Guy who is bored to death starts to play some Doom RL and gets hooked.
Then some awesome gameplay-records (ofc we need jokes like: "Stunning new-age graphics that melt your eyes")
Then the guy again and hes like: "Woah this is t3h awesomest, but I can't play it all the time I've got to play some-"
*Doom imp aggro sound*
Imp on the door -> fireball to the screen as in taking a hit in original Doom -> Doomguys death-sound -> blood down the screen and a slogan:
Doom RL
Play it or go to Hell.

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:09 »

I was thinking along these lines:
As much as I don't want to be a naysayer, some of these just don't seem right.
Guy who is bored to death starts to play some Doom RL and gets hooked.
The idea sounds OK, but then again - there's something depressing about ads which start off with sad/sick/bored people. One might even say that if the first impression is so important, then the thing people will remember the best after watching something like that is the mentioned negative state. No really something you wish to achieve, right ?
If that doesn't convince you - how many commercials have you seem where people are apathetic or crying ? That's right - most of them feature upbeat and energetic characters. That's because they don't want to use the "without x the world is worse" approach instead of "x makes our good world better".

Unless you consider "join us or burn in Hell" as a religious type of advertisement ;)...

Then some awesome gameplay-records (ofc we need jokes like: "Stunning new-age graphics that melt your eyes")
That's like an Apple commercial saying "Our products are dirt cheap ^^' !". Not only doesn't it help - it's counterproductive as hell.

Then the guy again and hes like: "Woah this is t3h awesomest, but I can't play it all the time I've got to play some-"
Let me put it this way: unless you advertise a novel, insurance or pension fund - you don't want to use more than 5 words in a sentence (or even total).
The reason ? It's hard to stay madly enthusiastic and at the same time provide elaborate explanations. This just doesn't look honest.

*Doom imp aggro sound*
Imp on the door -> fireball to the screen as in taking a hit in original Doom -> Doomguys death-sound -> blood down the screen
Besides it being cheesy - I SERIOUSLY doubt we could do it in a professional way... And otherwise - it would look like special effects in AVGN videos - lame and out of place.

and a slogan:
Doom RL
Play it or go to Hell.
If you play it, in a way, you're also going to hell. Not much of a choice, is there ?

Also - while not even trying hard to be serious, that slogan is a blatant threat. I know there are probably plenty of people out there with slave mentality but I don't respond well to coercion attempts. Not to mention that it sound downright disrespectful to the viewer.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41 »

Vestin -- so what about this -- "Kornel Kisielewicz's about to make you his bitch" :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 07:59 »

Vestin -- so what about this -- "Kornel Kisielewicz's about to make you his bitch" :P
Unfortunatelly, this was probably the worst phrase ever used. Certainly, it didn't help Daikatana.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 08:11 »

What about we make it an Angry German Kid remix? AGK vs. DoomRL :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

metroidRL

• Sergeant Major
  • Arch-vile major general
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:47 »

What about we make it an Angry German Kid remix? AGK vs. DoomRL :D

LOL

well there is too many remix of this... why not?
[24]    [20]   [15]  [07]       [03]
Bronze Silver Gold  Platinum  Diamond
Assemblies: 31/40;  Uniques and Exotics: 56/60;  Medals: 26/42.
Pages: [1] 2  All