Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 06:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I'm pretty new here.  (Read 5114 times)

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
I'm pretty new here.
« on: September 21, 2009, 04:26 »

How is everyone? I just recently beat this game on easy, and it was alot of fun.

Reading around here though, there are some things I'm not aware of.

Like, in the post mortem section, I see that some people have traits I've never heard of, and aren't detailed in the wiki. Like "Blademaster" or "Army of the dead" and this is probably just me being naive to the modding community around here, but I'm curious as to what they are.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: I'm pretty new here.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:53 »

Those are traits from the beta version i.e. they're not out yet, among other stuff. Beta is available to donators if you're wondering.

Also - welcome.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:04 »

Malek is right. Beta guys get awesome stuff.

Hope to see you round. Download Thomas's guide and actually pay attention to it :P
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 21:36 »

Ah, thanks.

This may be just me not understanding something, but is there a way I can have a custom avatar? I don't want one of the doom pics that are laid out for me.

Also, is it just me, or does the wiki seem... a tad incomplete? It's informative, yes, but it seems to refuse to elaborate or go into detail on alot of things. I understand the game is in beta, I just feel that the information on it could be better.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 00:31 »

Why don't you start rounding up people to do over the wiki then?
[0.9.9.7]

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 00:55 »

I just assumed it was one of those wiki's where the fanbase can add to it and edit the articles.

Now, I'm not trying to bash it, I'm just saying it's a little vague in certain parts. Like for the Vault, which I encountered and was very confused by, so I consulted the wiki and it told me:

It is possible to use a Rocket Launcher to get into the left and right rooms, if you know how. Getting into the center room requires a little bit of creativity.

and then just leaves it at that, with no other explanation, which is why I had to ask here in another topic.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 01:13 »

I think that different levels of spoilers should be added to the wiki.

I wasn't trying to bash you for apparently bashing, but it was a suggestion. If the wiki feels incomplete to you, and you think it could be better, why not round up people with the info and organize them?

I'd be happy to help, but just...blegh. Organizing sucks.

And with Kornel's blessing, we could release controlled spoilers from the beta, instead of random things yelled out?
[0.9.9.7]

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52 »

I'm up to helping update the wiki once the new release is ready, there will be a lot of stuff to update.

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 03:55 »

Updating the wiki sounds like a worthwhile endeavor, but unfortunately I'm still painfully new to the game, so I wouldn't be able to provide new or accurate information.

I do have some more questions though, that aren't answered by the wiki as far as I know.

Does running (performed with the , key) make you move faster in game-time, or is it just so you don't have to hold down on the directional keys?

Also, Running (the tactic, with the TAB key) has some unique advantages, but I can't find if there's any unique benefits to being cautious or tired.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 04:04 »

Running 'with , key' doesn't have any in-game advantages over regular movement. However you'll find that it will save you some needless hits since it automatically stops whenever there's a monster in range (and reduces your keybashing a bit).

Cautious and tired give no bonuses / penalties at all. Tired is just there so you know you can't enter Running mode again.

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 04:57 »

Ah, thanks.

Also, is there some sort of weird limit preventing me from visiting certain special levels? I like doing hells arena, but if I do it, I never seem to find The Wall.

The order I usually get the special levels is: Hell's Arena > Chained Court > Halls of Carnage. It skips The Wall entirely, unless I've missed the entrance to it a dozen times now.

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 05:27 »

I'm pretty sure The Wall is guaranteed to show up... in my experience the only Special Levels which don't seem to show up that often are Hell's Armory and Spider's Lair.

ChaoticJosh

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 05:38 »

Is it just that the levels have a certain percent chance of spawning or not spawning between any set number of floors?

Like, for example, Hell's Arena. Sometimes it spawns on the 2 floor, or the 3 floor, but it's apparently very likely to spawn, as I've yet to play a game where I haven't run into it.

tehtmi

• Programmer
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 21:06 »

I'm almost positive that Hell's Arena, Chained Court, Halls of Carnage, Unholy Cathedral (except on ITYTD), and Mortuary (expect on ITYTD) are guaranteed.  Lava Pits might be too.

Its hard to keep track of which ones aren't guaranteed because it might just be that you missed it somehow =/.

Definately, some are NOT guaranteed.  City of Skulls seems particularly elusive.

I'm not sure if The Wall is guaranteed, but it has a very large range of levels it can spawn on--it can be before or after the Halls of Carnage.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 14:13 »

I'm new as well, but I can confirm that you can do Hell's Arena, and still get The Wall, you just need to find it.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: [1] 2  All