Chaosforge Forum

• April 28, 2024, 04:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: MRS Morey - PBF  (Read 109532 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
Re: MRS Morey - PBF
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 07:21 »

Shioban waited for several seconds before entering. After no danger showed up, she quickly crawled inside. First thing she did there was collecting some cables and other loose parts and putting them in backpack. Noticing sunrise on companion faces, she sighed and explained 'Spare parts. May come in handy.'

Then, she moved towards those of cargo compartments and tried to open them at random.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 07:46 »

Hagazi started watching the opposite side to what Vincent was guarding then answered - The BPI... Bloody Poor Infantry, groundpounders that is. Ever heard of Agave? Funny little planet we got there - desert takes some 90% of the surface and we get wars all the time... sometimes it's enough for kid to laugh at some guy visiting in your village as he trips and falls and next week you'll get him, his family, his friends and whoever else armed to teeth and ready to go all 'jihad' on your ass - he spat and continues - Needless to say if you aren't a total wimp you can be almost certain to get drafted if you live there - me, I spent 8 bloody years in Army until I quit.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:48 by Malek Deneith »
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 07:52 »

What loose parts and wires were available had the look about them that said they weren't parted from their original system peacefully - frayed edges, ripped off plugs, various scrapes and the like.

As far as the storage pods went, their content was mainly personal effects - ID, wallets, toothbrushes, books, PDAs, a toolkit that fell out of its pod as soon as it was opened and opened as it hit the ground, spilling wrenches and pliers all over the ground. Whoever the passengers on this shuttle were, they apparently weren't military sorts.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 08:19 »

Shioban put tool-kit in her backpack.

'Hey, I don't like this hang man' she said loudly, pointing at hanging container 'but I'll be dammed if I won't check it content. So, coul you come closer cover me?'

Then, she moved towards it, and tried to open.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 08:22 »

"Much time indeed. You know, Lethaa, a little colony I hail from, is also mainly a desert world - and a constant warzone. We've got some industrial facilities out there - heavy machinery factories - for which roving nomad bands, US buddies and Chinese freaks really go mad at each other. You know, one day you have a walkabout by some settlement, the other day the settlement's gone because of suicide bombers, and two days later there's not even a road you were walking, but there are fucking slant-eyes finishing up poor ragheads. Madness, I tell ya. Before I joined the only normal around here... which was around a decade ago... I was a physican - working with those poor souls who somehow made their way to the firing line, having a walk like this a bit late. Irony, isn't it ?, he explained in response.

"Me, I was supporting the BPI. I went for holidays after an action screwed up, which only I managed to survive - psychic convalescence. Talk about luck...", he frowned and sighed. "Let's keep moving, our Lady needs a hand, it seems."

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 08:31 »

The crate wasn't marked with any special symbols that might indicate dangerous or fragile contents - just the usual "This side up" sign and a stamp from the shipping company. It wasn't locked either, just the standard seals to keep it from opening from a bump in the road, easily opened.

Inside, though... well, it was packed quite neatly with MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) packs. Possibly meant as a supply delivery somewhere - it looked like there were enough ration packs in there to feed an infantry company for several weeks at least. Of course, whether they could be called "food" was a matter of personal taste.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 08:45 »

Slightly embarrassed, Shioban smiled faintly
'Call me paranoid, but last time I saw something like that, my sergeant found 2 kilograms of ticket to heaven inside.'

Securing her gun, she exited crashed vessel.

'And now for the climbing...'

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 13:43 »

The climb wasn't terribly difficult, seeing as the wall wasn't vertical, but the irregular handholds didn't make the task any easier. Shioban, despite a certain lack of skill in the matter, quite deftly climbed up the wall to the edge. Vincent couldn't quite show off such grace, but he seemed far more competent in climbing, and with some effort made it up as well.

Hagazi, though... he didn't seem cut out for climbing. After the first attempt almost caused him to slip off onto an area where the mines were still present, he decided to try throwing a rope up to his companions. Unfortunately, he put a bit too much energy into the throw and the rope hit Shioban in the face - though she was able to catch it. However, trying to pull up Hagazi, even with the Doctor's help, almost pulled them off their perch on top of the wall. After several further attempts to get the rope back in the hands if the pair up top, they were finally able to catch it and pull the last member of the group up.

The climb down the other side was, thankfully, uneventful.

With daylight fading by the minute, you find yourselves standing within the colony perimeter, near one of the larger towers of the facility. As far as you can recall, this one had some serious-looking antennas and communication relays on top of it. Of course, the tower itself is still a distance away - a few hundred metres perhaps. The ground here is mostly rock covered with a fine dusting of sand, grit and gravel, but closer to the colony it gives way to regular, standard paving stones. There's no sign of activity out here at the moment, but you can make out vehicle tracks on the unpaved ground - a few days old, perhaps.

Gargulec

• Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 13:50 »

'Hurry, we need get inside. And, for the love of the God, be prepared for whatever we may find inside.'
After a second, Shioban added 'And, lieutenant, I hope that you shoot better than throw...'

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 14:04 »

- Excuse this old man his lack of climbing... and throwing skill and let's get going - that there looks like some kind of communications tower, even if we won't find anyone inside we could call some help probably - Hagazi looked a bit annoyed at how his "climbing" went.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 16:07 »

Saying nothing, Doc just went inside and carefully sweeped the room.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 16:13 »

The approach to the closest tower went uninterrupted - no sentry guns, no guards, no mines or spotlights. The whole place was rather eerily silent, save for the noise of the wind rushing past the structures and whistling between the towers.

Once you got to the tower, however, another problem presented itself.

It wasn't even the matter of finding a door - that was accomplished easily enough walking along the base of the tower until an accessway was found. A small door, more like a service entrance than a proper entry gate. The problem, however, lay with the door's control console. Or, more specifically, with the single message its simple screen displayed.

Power Failure
System Offline

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 16:19 »

"Eh... guys ? Seems like the whole facility is unpowered. No cookies.", once again Vince sighed in disappointment. "At least the place looks silent. Much too silent."

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2009, 16:20 »

- Power failure, eh? Well ain't that just dandy... Not like it can stop me from going in, but I think we might have a bit of a problem later if this power problem is colony-wide... which it might be, considering how *dead* this place looks. Now returning to the matter at hand... - Hagazi took off his pack and started to search for something inside - ...where did I put it - ah yes... This, my friends is our "universal key" - speaking that he rose in his hand a package bearing a label "Explosives - handle with care"

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2009, 18:48 »

Hagazi carefully fitted the breaching charge to the door. Of course, few doors these days were so simple that to breach one all you needed was a tiny explosive to blow out the lock. But creators of destructive devices found a way around it. Modern breaching charges were intended to burn through the edges of the door, rendering any lock, power failure or such irrelevant.

With the charge in place, you all moved quickly off to the sides and looked away. It never did good to look straight at a breaching charge at work, or stand in front of one as it went off.

A press of the trigger and the material ignited, sending out a plume of near-plasma away from the door at the same time as it seared through the metal. It took all of one second, but it left quite a scorch mark three metres long on the ground. The door, however, was breached, and needed just a gentle nudge to fall inwards, opening the way and making a hellish racket as it hit the floor.

The inside didn't seem particularly welcoming, bathed as it was in the steady red glare of evenly spaced back-up lights. Still, what could be seen in the dim light suggested the structure was in good condition - no panels falling off, no loose wires hanging about, no trash littering the floor. Aside from the fading echo of the falling door, however, the place was worryingly silent. Of course, alarms from the door breach would probably be too much to expect, what with the power failure. A complex of this size, though, shouldn't be quite so quiet.

Stepping inside, you find yourself in what appears to be a maintenance locker room. Five lockers line the left-hand wall, along with a few containers, and the right-hand wall has a rack with five suits of cold-weather gear hanging on it. A bit further in are several shelves, stacked with boxes of various shapes and sizes. Directly across the room from your entry point is another door - this one with a handle, so hopefully not requiring power.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24