Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 05:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just a few notes on Doom in general  (Read 5517 times)

Flynn Taggart

• Private FC
    • View Profile
Just a few notes on Doom in general
« on: April 22, 2006, 20:00 »

As I was playing DoomRL last night, I started thinking of the damage/health ratios from DooM][, and how oddly precise they were.

I guess it's because I write p/p/d* games in my free time, but when I was playing DooM][ back before I mysteriously lost my CD, using RGDoomEd to make various arena levels, I paid attention to the exact amounts of firepower required to kill given monsters.

Here's a quick summary/listing:

Imp: 1 Shotgun blast at pointblank. Equiv. ? Rocket.

Demon/Spectre: 1 Rocket

Lost Soul: It's either a Shotgun at pointblank, or full rocket.

Revenant: 2 Rockets

Arachnotron: 3 Rockets

Cacodemon: 3 Rockets

Hell Knight: 3 Rockets

Pain Elemental: 4 Rockets to pop 'im, IIRC

Mancubus: 4 Rockets

Baron of Hell: 7 Rockets (they're sick, I know.)

Arch-Vile: I cant remember. 5 Rockets, I think.

Spider Mastermind: 35(ish) Rockets

Cyberdemon: 40 Rockets.

I can't remember the exact number required to take down der uberbosses, but I know that my figures are close, and that in a match between SM vs. CD the Spidey dies, but the cyberdemon isn't that much tougher.

The Mancubus is still my favorite demon.

-----

Anyway, I was reading the "Doom: the Movie" thread, and therein Kornel made a great point about the plot.

I've read the novels by the authors mentioned in my sig. file (hence my handle), but trust me, only Knee Deep In The Dead and Hell On Earth really stick with the Doom concept.

After about midway through Infernal Sky, it just isn't DooM anymore.

Ab Hughs/Linaweaver's concept is that the demons are actually vat-borne aliens specifically designed to play on humanity's subconcious fears, and a different, benign alien race is responsible for the soul-spheres.

Eh. Hell or not, it's still better than yet another "failed genetic experiment gone awry. Dum de dum." concept. Dafydd and Brad still did a good job, overall.

I might see the movie, just to say I saw it. Frankly, that whole "inherent good/evil" thing sounds like they took concepts from Hobbes and Locke, and stripped all the brain out of them.

:shrug: Bastards.

Oh, and Kornel's summary of exactly how the movie comprehensively arse-raped the *entire damned point* of DooM hits the nail on the head.

*paper/pencil/dice

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 07:28 »

Quoting: Flynn Taggart
Cyberdemon: 40 Rockets.

I think I read on the Doom Wiki once that Cyberdemons are invulnerable to splash damage. I don't think Kornel's implemented that (luckily, yet).
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 00:56 »

Egh, the last two Doom paperbacks kinda sucked. The ending of the 4th blew beyond all belief. I was like: WTF?

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 14:05 »

Quoting: sn0rb
I think I read on the Doom Wiki once that Cyberdemons are invulnerable to splash damage

True but a big part of the damage comes from the rocket and not only from the splash damage... I think. I once removed the rocket' splash damage in Doom and it was still say, quite deadly, but required a direct hit. (I did that to play against bots so they could stop doing suicide with the rocket :P)

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 15:16 »

The first two Doom books are damned good, I don't like the idea of alien invasion, but still, they were good.

Thats an odd thing though, why are all remakes of Doom that aren't done by Id determined to say its an alien force, and not a Hellish origin?

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 04:50 »

Cause' people want to be politically correct, I suppose.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 08:46 »

Yes, I would imagine that there would not be much of a market for a book about invading demons in a closed-minded world.

But yes, It would be nice to see a Doom based book that follows what storyline the originals had.

SirTimberWolf

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 18:59 »

I suppose maybe I should push my little doom novel (still working on it atm :/) But it more closely follows the original heart of the games. I read the novels too and I was sorely dissapointed by what I found. . .
 But my novel differs in that it's actually told from the perspective(s) of several soldiers stationed on Phobos during the invasion, how they go from trying to survive to becoming incredibly violent zombies that deteriorate over time and some into the imps and so forth (yes I'm straying, but I promise it makes sense when viewed from the whole)

In my little novel the zombies either degrade or actually become the more 'hardcore' enemies (imps, barons and so forth) based on what kind of 'spirit' possesses them, others (demons and specters) are handled diffrently but it makes for some pretty messed up scenes (one in which several zombies are in the process of transforming comes to mind.) but when the main character (the platoon sergeant) actually goes through the gate (they were waiting on the marine's evac) she finds that the tactics she learned taking out the 'hellspawn' don't work in that 'other' place :P

Anyway, shameless pimpage and spoilage aside I'd like to say that there are some people out there that are a little more (I do mean a little) grounded with the original spirit of the game. . . I'm currently finishing the first draft (expecting to be done with it in mid to late July ((by that I mean the whole book ready to be put somewhere)) )
 Um, so yeah. . . :P I'll be putting this one online for the Doom communities as I'm pretty sure no one in the publishing world will be interested in it. (Finally, I get to give something back! XD)

Anyway, take care :D
 -Johnathan

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 11:43 »

I think I read on the Doom Wiki once that Cyberdemons are invulnerable to splash damage. I don't think Kornel's implemented that (luckily, yet).

Any creature will take splash damage, But because they are so tough the damage done compared to the greater whole is negligible.

Its like trying to cut down a really large tree by using another tree to crush it down instead of using the axe. Really inneficient.

--

The idea of the novels sounds rather good, Most Doom stories and other fanmade items revolve around the hero, Not the actual survivors.

Could we perhaps have the first chapter of it, An idea of how large it is and how long it will take to be released?

SirTimberWolf

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 18:26 »

It'd take me a little bit to get the .doc uploaded somewhere, I'm currently stuck with a mostly useless floppy drive at home (anchient gateway 2000 laptop) but I'll see what I can do.
 As for size, it's currently aiming for around 300 pages (give or take 50 pgs after final revisions and what not.) As for an official release date I'd say probably August 15th or at the very latest Sept 1st 2006 baring any serious problems (like loosing my place to live XD)

If you're interested in sneak peaks and stuff I can print out a couple pages and re-type them here but like I said, they're more unpolished than they could be in their current state
Pages: [1]