Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 04:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: You've said no, but...  (Read 9141 times)

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: You've said no, but...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 00:17 »

Indeed I agree that if spectres were implemented, players would really have to stare at the screen closely all the time in case one was nearby, instead of looking and making decisions quickly in the game.

*Snaps finger* I've got it! I've got it... What if Kornel made it so that entering a level that contained a spectre was accompanied by a message? You know how when you enter a level with a water lever it gives you a "the air is really humid here" message? Well maybe a level with a spectre could be accompanied by an appropriate message.

Alternatively, a message could play when the player entred the spectre's line of sight, something along the lines of "you suddenly start to hear footsteps, but you don't see anything"...

Something like this would lessen the spectre's element of surprise, but it would allow spectres to be implimented without causing the pace of the game to drop substantially...

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13 »

As per my first post, here's an expansion of other ideas:

-The closer they are to the player, the higher chance you'll go "A spectre! Invisible sonuva..." and notice him outright.

For me, in Doom, I didn't notice spectres too often in huge areas when they were far away. With the superiour graphics of DoomRL, perhaps you'd have a better chance, but we'll just say you don't. So, the chance you can see a spectre (i.e. the chance he'll turn from different coloured "." to "c") starts a 0% and raises up to 100%, ending just one step away from you. Hence you will ALWAYS see a spectre before he can attack you.

This seems fair to me. Perhaps Eagle Eye and Cateye can give bonuses to the chance to see Spectres. Though Intuition 2 makes the bonus unnecessary anyhow.

-Make spectres nearly identical to demons, but faster, and have less health.

My idea behind this is that they run up on you pretty quick, but one or two shots kill 'em dead. Thus, if you don't notice them, it's not TOO big a deal. Perhaps ramp their damage down and up their speed even more, so they're like a mosquito. They don't hurt much, but they sure bite a lot.

Another SOLID reason that we NEED spectres in this game: AoB. We're losing out on another melee only creature!
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 06:10 »

Sometimes, especially when there's discussion about balancing numbers, I feel that you don't totally understand the game like the players do.  But then a comment like this shows (to me, at least) an understanding about the fundamentals about the game that I would hazard most others don't grasp.
I admit, I don't have the number crunching understanding that many Elite players have, just because I don't play DoomRL much. I do however have the understanding about the driving force of the game, what was there by design. Spectres would go against that principle.

HOWEVER, I was considering special low-lite levels (immidately distinguishable), that do not happen often, but that have quite a big spectre spawn chance.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 07:55 »

HOWEVER, I was considering special low-lite levels (immidately distinguishable), that do not happen often, but that have quite a big spectre spawn chance.

Good idea for spicing up Ao100, for sure. And having the code in the game would help those who want to mod in the future. Seriously.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: 1 [2]  All