Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bug - Another door bug [NOT A BUG]  (Read 4400 times)

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug [NOT A BUG]
« on: April 25, 2006, 00:48 »

I noticed that you can see a door open and close, even if it is on the other side of the level.....ALthough helpful, to know if monsters are after you, it seems like a bug to me :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 12:10 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
Howdy.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 01:33 »

Definitley a bug there! It apply's to all the landscape as well - Just shoot a rocket to the other end of the map!

jake250

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starforces.fr.st
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:48 »

Well I always considered that like some kind of "feature".

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:35 »

You mean that Space Marines come complete with a telepathic link to UAC installations? Nice.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02 »

Quoting: Anticheese
You mean that Space Marines come complete with a telepathic link to UAC installations?

Why telepatic? Marines have helmets with antene, so it's quite likely to be connected to something. And it's used when you find a computer map of the level. Another question is why maps wasn't preloaded when marine was sent on a mission. After all, UAC did built (or at least had control of) the structure so it surely had plans to equip their own troopers with. Perhaps, the urgency of the situation forced to send the squad underequipped (you don't even have a proper weapon to start), so all plans were carried by the squad members who entered the carnage before you. All former hunams, on the other hand, got rid of the helmets by the time you meet them, so you can't salvage plans from them.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:37 »

Quoting: Aerton
hunams

Played Star Control II or The Ur-Quan Masters, eh?

You make some very interesting points there, But:

Why telepatic? Marines have helmets with antene, so it's quite likely to be connected to something.

Do you really think that the Demons would just leave the megamap on out of charity? :-)

Another question is why maps wasn't preloaded when marine was sent on a mission. After all, UAC did built (or at least had control of) the structure so it surely had plans to equip their own troopers with.

Come on, This is the corporation that exists solely to get new weapons out the door as soon as can be, I doubt that on the Deimos/Phobos facilities there would be ANY chance of military action outside of an internal revolt, So why not cut budget and not give the marines decent equipment?

Perhaps, the urgency of the situation forced to send the squad underequipped (you don't even have a proper weapon to start)

The Marines that went in before you were equipped with some top of the line stuff according to almost every single piece of Doom backstory I can get my hands on, You were left with a pistol because they took the plasma rifle.

The only thing they were not prepared for was the Demons, But I think we can assume it went like this:

Squad leader: Ok men, Lets go!

Generic affirmative noises

(20 minutes pass)

Marine: Eww, What the hell is that!?

Second Marine: It..looks..like..a..person

Corpse is nudged with a boot

Squad leader: He's dead now.

*Uuugghhh*

Marine: What was that!?!?

Marines turn 180 degrees

All present except for the FH: AAHH!

*Gunfire*

Second Marine: It..It's..It..Was..Alive!

Third Marine: Thats impossible, It must have been a robot

Second Marine: Yeah, But in the words of the six million dollar man: "Machines dont bleed"

Third Marine: You watch that show?

The writer just sends in a horde of bloodthirsty Demons to cut the story short.

Demon: Mmm..Tastes like chicken.

Sorry for the long winded piece of crud.

All former hunams, on the other hand, got rid of the helmets by the time you meet them, so you can't salvage plans from them.

Your standard Former Humans would have just been scientists who after the great change would have scavanged pistols, Curiously enough there is allways enough for everyone except you.

But yeah, if the Marines all had helmets then I guess that the only ways I can explain it is:

A. The Demon Overlord's like to give their warriors a "Personal Touch"

B. Their heads swelled and cracked when they mutated

C. The helmets ran out of juice and the FH's figured they dont need armour anyways. (Y'know, Undead being immune to critical hits and all)

D. They never had them to begin with and only you were wise enough to pack one.

E. The computer maps you find ARE helmets with plans.

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 13:50 »

Why telepatic? Marines have helmets with antene, so it's quite likely to be connected to something.

Do you really think that the Demons would just leave the megamap on out of charity? :-)

I don't really think they got control over IT systems.

Come on, This is the corporation that exists solely to get new weapons out the door as soon as can be, I doubt that on the Deimos/Phobos facilities there would be ANY chance of military action outside of an internal revolt, So why not cut budget and not give the marines decent equipment?

Such corporation would should have defence as one of it's top priorities as it is a prime target for foreign military forces, intelligence and organized crime. If there is not military action there it's solely because these facilities are heavy guarded.

The Marines that went in before you were equipped with some top of the line stuff according to almost every single piece of Doom backstory I can get my hands on, You were left with a pistol because they took the plasma rifle.

Normally, everyone should have his complect of equipment, so that's why I  told that squad went underequipped, as at least one complect of weaponry was missing. While other marines had weapon, they could lack some other items, like medpaks, gogles or radiation suits. You don't even have a communication device to contact the HQ.

Your standard Former Humans would have just been scientists who after the great change would have scavanged pistols, Curiously enough there is allways enough for everyone except you.

But yeah, if the Marines all had helmets ...

Many of them are called sergeants and captains, so they seem to be some kind of a military force in previous live.
Now I recall there are quite a few corpses of marines on the first levels of the original. They have their helmets on, but they are covered in blood, so they are probably damaged and you simply can't use a helmet with a hole in an airless environment.

E. The computer maps you find ARE helmets with plans.

They look like green-screened computers. Helmets are armour shards.

Zot.Fot.Pik.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Bug - Another door bug
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 00:49 »

Many of them are called sergeants and captains, so they seem to be some kind of a military force in previous live.
Now I recall there are quite a few corpses of marines on the first levels of the original. They have their helmets on, but they are covered in blood, so they are probably damaged and you simply can't use a helmet with a hole in an airless environment.

You know how you have hell knights? Same thing here - Hellish Millita.

They look like green-screened computers. Helmets are armour shards.

Technically helmets are "Spiritual Armour"

Such corporation would should have defence as one of it's top priorities as it is a prime target for foreign military forces, intelligence and organized crime. If there is not military action there it's solely because these facilities are heavy guarded.

If it were in real life then perhaps it would be so, Unfortunatly the Doom storyline takes place with a despotic UAC instead of a sensible one.

I don't really think they got control over IT systems.

Well they kind of did, In Doom III their mere presence corrupted computer systems.

I know that Doom III is not as Doomish as the other games, But it makes sense right? How many Demons know programming?
Pages: [1]