Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New trait - Salvage  (Read 8760 times)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
New trait - Salvage
« on: October 18, 2009, 21:12 »

Requires: Whizkid 2

Grants: The ability to take a weapon, armor, or pair of boots you've modded and salvage some of the mods.  Destroys the weapon/armor/boots in the process, and can only give 1-3 mods back (33% of the mods on the item rounded down; has a chance of failing entirely if you have less than 4 mods on the weapon). You cannot choose the mods you salvage.

*hopes this is depowered enough to pass muster*

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: New trait - Salvage
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 21:26 »

This is so depowered it's stupid O_o
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 21:28 »

BDR is back :D

As for the trait, yeah, such an idea has been bouncing around my head for some time...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 21:47 »

Yeah. It's frustrating to have to choose between throwing mods on ordinary weapons/armor and possibly running into something you'd *much* rather spend the mods on or lugging around a ton of mods in hopes of an advanced weapon. I figure the only way to bridge this gap is to either to do this or maybe something waaaaaaaay nuttier (like say enabling you to turn an ordinary weapon into an advanced weapon with enough extra parts). The last suggestion for this was considered too overpowered in its original form, and I think it likely was because the responder believed you'd get all the mods invested in a weapon back, enabling stuff like dragging around an otherwise useless advanced shotgun stuffed with mods while waiting for something else, then should that something else show up taking to the shotty like a piñata and snatching up all twelve tasty mods (awesome for the lucky punk, terrible for the game balance).  The limit on how many mods you get back is an attempt to stomp that vision flat.

EDIT: By the by, this is sort of how I've later envisioned a possible way salvage could work behind the scenes - each mod on a weapon that gets salvaged adds 0.25 to the counter; every 1 point on the counter adds up to a guaranteed mod, and the fraction left over determines the chance you get an extra mod. So for example, if you put seven mods on an advanced shotty, but later get an advanced combat shotty, when you salvage the advanced shotty you are definitely going to get one mod and have a 75% chance to get a second.  I think this method could also make it easy to tweak the numbers if it's agreed that salvage needs improvement (and since this *will* make balance different, I think it makes sense to be a bit conservative about this).

Thinking on it, there's a decent case for tweaking this into a master trait (it requires an advanced trait already thematically and power-wise, and it could *maybe* stand to be improved for the people who don't think they're getting enough extra mods out of it).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 21:59 by BDR »

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 21:49 »

Except you see 0 advanced weapons per game (UNLESS YOU GO INTO THE MORTUARY) and you usually stick mods on normal weapons/armour, anyway.

So you'd get 33% of a mod back, rounded down gives 0 mods O_o
[0.9.9.7]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 22:02 »

I've seen two advanced weapons in my current game on HNTR and I haven't even made it to level 14 yet. As for your second point, I'll let you read my edit. :P

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 22:04 »

Over the course of many games, you see an average of shit all.

And this is wayy to underpowered to be worth the effort, especially if the mods are random.
[0.9.9.7]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 22:22 »

How many mods do you want to be able to take back? It'll be a bit skewed if you can take all 3 mods back on an ordinary weapon in a place that's not Angel of Light Travel (3 slots of 10mm ammo or 3 shotguns packed up, hmm). Random mod choice could go.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 22:53 »

The point is that this simply isn't useful enough to spend one trait point on, especially when I could be doing something like Tan/Iro/TH/Int.
[0.9.9.7]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 23:16 »

I take it you're not a big fan of Whizkid, then (I noticed that AoMR's advanced pistol has been downgraded in the most recent version).

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 23:18 »

I am, but what i'm saying is that even if you HAVE Whizkid, it's still worth putting points elsewhere then this trait ;)
[0.9.9.7]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:10 »

I'd agree that there is some appeal to getting mods back out of items. The question here is more how to go about doing it so it's not stupid, and not overpowered.

Perhaps you could deal with it on a mod type basis? You've got an advanced weapon with P3B2A1, giving 100% chance of a power mod, 50-75% chance of a Bulk mod, and 33% chance of an accuracy mod. But you can only get one of each type of mod, and you're guaranteed at least one mod if you have four mods in the item (yes, even if it's P1B1A1T1).

Even so, I'm not sure this would be worth aquiring except for a different style of play/a new badge.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 01:20 »

I just don't think that something like this is totally viable - If it doesn't give you back all of the mods, it's stupid/underpowered. If it gives you back all of the mods, it's OVERpowered.

How about making it a 2 level trait, with a 50% chance of getting your mods back on the first level, 100% on the second. To compensate for losing all those PRECIOUS CLEVELS, there needs to be some extra buff as well.
[0.9.9.7]

Vestin

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 01:38 »

How about making it a 2 level trait (...)
Aki... Who in their right mind would spend *TWO CLEVELS* just to get the *** mods out ? That's creating a dead trait.
Either give WK2 the ability to dismantle ALL mods or leave things as they are... IMO - the latter makes more sense.
You USE the mod, it's lost forever but your stuff is better. A fair trade, IMO. And hoarding is not a problem - it's a matter of choice. You either use it, leave it or carry it with you - that's how things should be.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:45 »

To compensate for losing all those PRECIOUS CLEVELS, there needs to be some extra buff as well.

Tada.

As for giving WK2 the ability to dismantle ALL mods, that'd be even more broken.
[0.9.9.7]
Pages: [1] 2  All