Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 05:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Special Fire Modes, emphasis Chain Fire  (Read 7778 times)

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Special Fire Modes, emphasis Chain Fire
« on: October 19, 2009, 22:19 »

Very excited to play the new version!  Some things seem a little easier in a good way, like how Hell's Arena is worthwhile since Cacodemons no longer have more powerful shots than Hell Knights (thanks kornel).

I'm wondering, what exactly does the chaingun's chain fire do?  It seems to kill things better than just plain firing, but what's the catch?

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Special Fire Modes, emphasis Chain Fire
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 22:31 »

Very excited to play the new version!  Some things seem a little easier in a good way, like how Hell's Arena is worthwhile since Cacodemons no longer have more powerful shots than Hell Knights (thanks kornel).

I'm wondering, what exactly does the chaingun's chain fire do?  It seems to kill things better than just plain firing, but what's the catch?

The catch is that once you start chain-firing, you can't do anything else until all enemies in your line of sight are dead. I died to a group of imps on standard game HNTR this way whilst trying to test chain-fire out... Since then I've vowed never to use it again, as trying to use it against more powerful enemies would only make the effect worse. Imagine not being able to duck out of a vile's or mancubus' line of sight or not being able to whip out a large med pack in the middle of a battle... well. that's what chainfire does, whilst providing almost no compensation in return...

In short, don't use it...

I agree with you about Hell's Arena though... Indeed, it might even be too easy now, as on my last AoSh run (tragically cut short when an error on my part caused my marine to melt in the lava pits with three enviro-packs still on him) I got through it with little trouble using a basic shotgun... This was on HNTR though...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 22:33 by Captain Trek »

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 22:34 »

well, it seemed to come in handy when i was locked in a last-ditch spray-and-pray with no healthpacks against a hell knight in the Arena... what's the bonus?  Seems like better accuracy once you're warmed up?

Dervis

• Nightmare Berserker
  • Elder
  • Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 23:45 »

It spits more bullets basically...
Regular chaingun 4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4
Chainfire 3-4-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6-6

And you can cancel it by hitting the escape key by the way,

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 01:03 »

It even comes up with "Choose target or abort.."
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 01:54 »

Oh, man, this topic is full of win.

Nominated for "Most fail topic of the year" award :P
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:59 »

* UnderAPaleGreySky votes for this topic
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23 »

I don't know why you guys have to be so harsh, sheesh.

There isn't much comprehensive documentation about the new features, although one could argue that discovering how things work is part of what makes the game interesting.

Anyways, like Dervis mentioned, when you initiate chainfire, you shoot one less bullet than in a normal burst.  However, after that, if there are still enemies visible, you can fire a 'warming' burst - which has the normal number of bullets - you are automatically in 'targeting mode' without having to press fire again if this is the case (and you can press Esc to cancel, allowing you to move/fire normally/initiate chainfire from step one).  If you fire that 'warming' shot, and there are still visible enemies, you now fire 'full' bursts - the normal number of bullets +2.  So you have a slower start but higher rate of fire in the long run, as long as you have ammo and as long as enemies are visible.  However, if you switch targets and the new target's angle of fire is far different from your original target, some of your bullets will be wasted sweeping to your new target, unlike normal fire.

I suggest that chainfire be used when facing the capital B's or worse - enemies as tough or tougher than Hell Knights/Barons, and if your new target is at a different angle, restart chainfire rather than allow bullets to be wasted with the sweep.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 13:07 »

Don't forget Journey...If you encouter a swarm of dudes in you line of sight, it might be fun to try to take some of them out with the sweep. You should probably only try it with nothing stronger than...I'll say former captains.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Hipster Scumbag

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 15:16 »

Yeah, it seems cool.

Anyone have the numbers on pistol aimed fire?

Also, I really appreciate the ability to fire only 1/2 of the double-barreled.  In general I'm very pleased by the whole update.

xenozid

• Lance Corporal
  • Torture Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:41 »

chainfire is awesome! i just cleared the wall with the chaingun and i´m sure it was only possible with chainfire (the bulk mod also helped)

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 20:09 »

Also, I really appreciate the ability to fire only 1/2 of the double-barreled.  In general I'm very pleased by the whole update.

Now that is actually useful...

Look, maybe my game's bugged, but all I can tell you is that once I used chainfire on a group of enemies, I couldn't seem to abort the firing sequence. I was forced to keep firing and I died... to a group of imps... while wielding a chaingun... and having a bunch of medpacks on me... on HNTR... You can understand my anger...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 20:23 by Captain Trek »

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 22:23 »

I maintain the sweep is entirely useless, unless you are in a very special situation where there's a barrel you want to hit in the same turn as a particular enemy, and that barrel can be hit with the sweep (hard to tell, because the precise trajectory of the sweeping bullets isn't easy to predict.)

A single bullet from the chaingun cannot kill anything - not even a former human.  And the sweep, unless you get a bugged one where it goes back and forth, will only shoot one bullet for a particular trajectory.  In the end it's better to re-start your chainfire at the new angle if the change in angle is great.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 00:01 »

It must be bugged. Obtain a chaingun, start chainfiring and try to press escape.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 02:05 »

It must be bugged. Obtain a chaingun, start chainfiring and try to press escape.

Same thing again... but discarding the folder and unzipping a new copy appears to have fixed it...
Pages: [1] 2  All