Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 05:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Raking fire  (Read 2153 times)

Creepy

• First Sergeant
  • Duelist
    • View Profile
Raking fire
« on: November 03, 2009, 13:38 »

I've been lurking around some, and I hope it's enough to keep me from sounding like an idjut.

Anyway, is there any possibility to having some raking fire with multishot weapons like the chaingun? As in, you point to 2 different spots as targets and the game would fire between them in an arc. It'd spread the damage out some, good for fighting large groups, while doing less damage since you're obviously not hitting any one thing with as many bullets (To say nothing of the bullets whizzing off into the dark).

That was a nice trick back in the day, when Cacodemons flinched at everything and a chaingun could keep a whole room of them pinned down, if you were willing to waste half your ammo to do it.
Formerly Hell Knight Warrant Officer [16|7|5|1|0]
Currently Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant [18|10|3|0|0]
Current Goal: ???

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Raking fire
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 14:47 »

I think Chainfire does that.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 15:20 »

I think Chainfire does that.
Yea, idjut!! (just kidding, I didn't know that either :P)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 21:40 »

The problem is, despite perhaps looking cool, the chaingun sweep is often worthless.  A single chaingun bullet does a pitiful amount of damage, even with all of the relevant traits - it can't even kill a fresh former human under the luckiest circumstances with an unmodded chaingun, let alone most of the enemies you face.

Stunned enemies would be a pretty cool feature - it would add a rather nice layer of strategy depending on how it worked.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 00:40 »

I'm pretty sure that at the moment - tactically speaking - raking fire should not be implemented. Chainfire will allow for a  single rake when changing to a target not in the current direction you're facing.

What I gathered from the original post was that you were aiming more at a smaller range, say 15-20 degrees, as opposed to more than 90 degrees. In other words, you press a key (like "R") and are able to select two targets in a small range and rake between them.

Currently there is no such thing as stunning a monster that I'm aware of. The only benefit that I could think of is if you were able to knock the monsters backwards. This is possible, but with the current percentage chance to do this with a single chaingun shot (quite low, I'd guess) it would seem almost unnecessary.

I seem to recall someone before requesting a monster flinch, not sure what Kornel's response on it was.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 05:22 »

I think a lot of people have suggested a 'flinch' system, me being the latest one so far, but it's generally been thrown out as having the potential to make the game too easy.
Pages: [1]