Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 01:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Problem with AoMC and SoB?  (Read 4584 times)

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Problem with AoMC and SoB?
« on: November 04, 2009, 18:30 »

So I have been playing a few N! AoMC games with a focus on getting Ammochain. It seems to me that there may be a bug somewhere. Allow me to relate my most recent death...

In my last game, I had gotten pretty far. Here was my trait progression:
SoB->SoB->Fin->Fin->TH->WK->MAc->HR->HR->DM->SoB->TH->
Here was my main weapon:
modified plasma rifle (1d9)x6 [40/40] (P2)

Everything was going swimmingly until I got that 3rd level of SoB. Before that, I would kill almost anything in one shot from my trusty plasma rifle. After SoBx3 (and around the same time I added the second dmg mod to my gun), it seemed that I started missing all the time. It would take at least two volleys to take down Cacos and Hell Knights. Sometimes it would take 3 or 4. Now only rarely would I kill things with 1 volley.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this? I wish I did not have to get so far in the game to test it out. Also, without actually seeing the numbers it is hard to know for sure what is going on.

This is not the first time I have noticed things start to get funny with SoB, TH, and MAc. It is very obvious with AoMC though.

Kornel, do you have a way to setup a AoMC game and fudge the stats so you can see if there is something wrong?

The only other thing I can think of is if going to a special level (like Halls of Carnage) somehow made the game lose it's AoMC status, but that does not seem very likely at all.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with AoMC and SoB?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 00:57 »

So I have been playing a few N! AoMC games with a focus on getting Ammochain. It seems to me that there may be a bug somewhere. Allow me to relate my most recent death...

In my last game, I had gotten pretty far. Here was my trait progression:
SoB->SoB->Fin->Fin->TH->WK->MAc->HR->HR->DM->SoB->TH->
Here was my main weapon:
modified plasma rifle (1d9)x6 [40/40] (P2)

Everything was going swimmingly until I got that 3rd level of SoB. Before that, I would kill almost anything in one shot from my trusty plasma rifle. After SoBx3 (and around the same time I added the second dmg mod to my gun), it seemed that I started missing all the time. It would take at least two volleys to take down Cacos and Hell Knights. Sometimes it would take 3 or 4. Now only rarely would I kill things with 1 volley.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this? I wish I did not have to get so far in the game to test it out. Also, without actually seeing the numbers it is hard to know for sure what is going on.

This is not the first time I have noticed things start to get funny with SoB, TH, and MAc. It is very obvious with AoMC though.

Kornel, do you have a way to setup a AoMC game and fudge the stats so you can see if there is something wrong?

The only other thing I can think of is if going to a special level (like Halls of Carnage) somehow made the game lose it's AoMC status, but that does not seem very likely at all.

The same here. Maybe not on N! but on U. I thought it was because the plasma gun's accuracy was nerfed. It is really hard to hit anything. I think you can check it out even on M or E levels of difficulty.
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 15:15 »

Need someone to test this properly - volunteers?
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

AStranger

• First Lieutenant
  • Cyberdemon Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 16:00 »

I'll volunteer, I could use a break from N! AoI runs anyway. Too bad I wasn't paying attention during my last AoMC run, I went ammochain, but focused on firing speed instead of damage. How should one test it properly? I was thinking charting distance, # of shots fired/hit, current traits and weapon mod status. Is there a better way?
[24|23|20|18|13] v.0.9.9.3
[17|10|8|5|2] v.0.9.9.2
[15|11|10|6|3] v.0.9.9.1
[18|17|14|10|6] v.0.9.9

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 23:19 »

I have run a few more N! AoMC games and in my last one I experienced the same problem. It seemed to happen after I applied the 2nd Power (Dmg) Mod to my Plasma Rifle.

So the gun basically started pushing things away much more than damaging them. Is it a possibility that knocking back the enemy causes it to take less damage? That may explain it.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 23:24 »

I've had the accuracy problem on N! with an unmodded chaingun, with only SoB 2 and TH 1. Wasn't amused when an imp dodged a full volley point blank and shoved a ball of fire into my face :P
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:50 »

Is it possible that a knockback on the first shot of the volley makes the rest of the shots check against a dodge, since the target moved?
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 02:54 »

Geez, I hope not. I'm used to Cacodemons going down in one volley.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:07 »

@knockback - knockback shouldn't check for dodge as moving "along the line of fire" doesn't count as dodging... BUT the monster beeing knocked around might be causing decrease in accuracy due to the range to target increasing, or - in extreme ceases - target beeing knocked outside of LOS (and thus hit chance beeing halved) and then moving back in sight on own turn.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1]