Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 11:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: New enemies  (Read 41186 times)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: New enemies
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 21:27 »

I feel honoured.

However, if you wish to run like a coward from a debate, then feel free. While I may lose in the end, I can accept defeat graciously.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 23:20 »

SUPER OWNAGE THING (10d10)*9001 [1/1]

TAKES CELLS LOL

100000s RELOAD OVERCOMES THE SUPERIOR FIREPOWER ONE SHOT THAT’S IT

0.000000000001s FIRETIME TOO MMK SO IT’S NOT TOTALLY USELESS

ALTFIRE GIVES IT 1000000000000000000000000 BLAST RADIUS

WAT DO U GUYZ THINK

Or:

SUPER BROKEN DUDE

100 HEALTH 10 ARMOUR APPEARS ON REGULAR LVLS

HAS 10 MEDIPACKS IN INVENTORY AND CAN USE THEM OH AND HAS A BFG AND LOTS OF CELLS

RLY A PAIN ESPECIALLY WITH VILES BUT IF YOU KILL THM YOU GET A BFG COOL HUH
This is one of the reasons why DoomRL isn't open source, I'm assuming. Gamebreaking. Eventually you'll get a dropkick coder who'll think of something like this. Or make it for their dropkick friends.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 23:21 by UnderAPaleGreySky »
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 23:28 »

Diablo
Spawns in a late game, caries nothing, atacks in melee, 1 kill lethal. Getting him down is a top priority.(Not spawns on AoB)

P.S:And could we have an unique monster, just like boss, but less powerful. Killing him would give you an unique, or maybe an artifact. On the level you hear a message 'You sence there is someone who command demons!' or 'You sence there is a demon from the deepest hell!'
There is a REASON this topic is in the DoomRL section. You want to fight Diablo, learn Pascal or something and make it yourself in DiabloRL. And while we're at one hit kill enemies, give yourself a "Big Muthafugging Axe of Ass-Kickery +666".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 01:59 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 23:31 »

Aki: Chill. Out.

Are most ideas proposed on forums unworkable? Yes probably. But some of them might have potential even if *you* or *me* or *insert_random_poster_here_#46* don't see that potential. Some might spark a discussion that leads to a "good" idea arising. Others might not look good to us but can trigger Kornel's imagination. Yet others might look bad at the moment but evolution of the game changes that - uniques actually *were* that kind of idea. Either way posting the idea never hurt anyone.

Don't get me wrong - discussing the ideas and disagreeing with them posted is fine: as long as it is done in relatively civil way, not in "you are stupid and my opinion is absolute" way.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 23:35 »

Indeed. I don't think anyone wants this - or any - thread to become an Aki vs. The Idea People war thread.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 23:45 »

Well, I voted B, but maybe this thread should have a basic guideline.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 01:25 »

I SENSE A CHALLENGER APPROACHES
Indeed. I don't think anyone wants this - or any - thread to become an Aki vs. The Idea People war thread.

And then Aki was the people.

:>

The funny thing is that whatever forum I end up on, I end up being a significant presence, whether for better or for worse. While I ended up ultimately banned from Smogon for HAVING AN OPINION, I went out in a blaze of glory and encouraged free thinking.

Aki: Chill. Out.

Are most ideas proposed on forums unworkable? Yes probably. But some of them might have potential even if *you* or *me* or *insert_random_poster_here_#46* don't see that potential. Some might spark a discussion that leads to a "good" idea arising. Others might not look good to us but can trigger Kornel's imagination. Yet others might look bad at the moment but evolution of the game changes that - uniques actually *were* that kind of idea. Either way posting the idea never hurt anyone.

Don't get me wrong - discussing the ideas and disagreeing with them posted is fine: as long as it is done in relatively civil way, not in "you are stupid and my opinion is absolute" way.

I'd suggest re-reading my post. I tend to exaggerate everything - That's typical of the region i'm from.

When I say put some thought into things, it's to prevent stuff like that 10d10*9001 weapon of doom or that totally retarded monster. Some basic thought on the suggester's part won't hurt, because that would actually promote discussion and spin-off ideas/inspiration.

Similar to how it's easier to work with already processed metal then mining the ores and smelting it yourself first.

Basic rules wouldn't hurt - stuff like "Don't be a twit and copypasta someone elses idea with minor change" or "Have a think about if even Dervis or Blade could take your thing down" would again, be a benefit.

And whether you like it or not, no normal or semi-normal enemies will be undoomish, as that's Kornel's final opinion.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 01:33 »

I'd suggest re-reading my post. I tend to exaggerate everything - That's typical of the region i'm from.
Heh, it sure as hell is.

Anyway, concerning a guideline, so far we have the "can't be undoomish" thing, don't copypaste other peoples ideas with a slight change (i.e. no posting Melon's security officer idea under the name SWAT unit), no insanely stupid stuff, Dervis and Blade AT LEAST have to be able to take it down, and willingness to keep your opinion on your post flexible, so that others can have a spark of genius that may lead to a new critter - normal release or mod. Anything missed?

edit: fixed typo in "undoomish" :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:05 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 03:27 »

* Aki waits for the influx of shitty ideas

Hate to be a party killer, but half of these ideas (Especially ZZ's, sorry man) tend to be gamebreaking either way (Way too hard, too easy for too big of a reward, ect).

Please think your ideas through before posting, and consider actually putting *some* thought into them, such as health buffs on harder difficulties and stuff.

Perhaps I'm not getting the intent behind the board, but I kinda gathered that the request for features board was where ideas came together, no matter how stupid or crazy, and then were either instantly discarded (and sometimes later picked up), or improved upon.

Personally, I've rarely had an idea that came together all at once, perfectly. And when I've been designing games I've welcomed all stupid input.

Quote from: Other People
---lots of other crap---

Dios mio. Okay. Aki doesn't have tact. Bottom line. Let's get used to the fact that he is going to spout stupid things instead of useful things a good portion of the time. He DOES have some good thoughts. He will often tell you that your thoughts suck. This is your opportunity to improve on them, and prove him wrong. Because chances are high that he is wrong. Love you Aki!

I second UnderAPaleGreySky's "guidelines". I would add that keeping something "doomish" could be good, but not 100% necessary.

Yay for all the really long hard on the eyes posts! =D
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 04:03 »

The funny thing is that whatever forum I end up on, I end up being a significant presence, whether for better or for worse.

That's because your ego takes up so much room that it's impossible for people to not notice it... :P

While I ended up ultimately banned from Smogon for HAVING AN OPINION, I went out in a blaze of glory and encouraged free thinking.

I imagine you were actually banned because your ego causes you to rudely and forcefully impose your opinions on others... Oh and last I checked, the definition of "free thinking" didn't include insulting people just because they disagree with you... :P

Dios mio. Okay. Aki doesn't have tact. Bottom line. Let's get used to the fact that he is going to spout stupid things instead of useful things a good portion of the time. He DOES have some good thoughts. He will often tell you that your thoughts suck. This is your opportunity to improve on them, and prove him wrong. Because chances are high that he is wrong.

Tavana, consider yourself quoted for truth... :)

And Aki's certainly not the only one, as I said, 'nor is he the worst, but his biggest problem is that he's always complaining which, funnily enough, is exactly what the other three members of my "chronic self-importance" section did, to varying degrees...

But, to get back on topic, has there been any discussion regarding possible implementation of the "nightmare imp" enemy from Doom 64? This enemy might seem somewhat redundant, but even with the newly weakened cacodemons in the most reason version, there still seems to be a fairly wide gulf between imps and cacodemons, a gulf I don't really think demons and former captains adequately fill... I don't know wether this would adequately reflect the n.mare imp's relative strength from Doom 64, never having played that version of the game, but throw a few nightmare imps with a strength between that of the imp and the caco into DoomRL and you could potentially have a smoother transition from weaker enemies (imps and formers) to stronger "mid-range" ones (knights and cacos)...

EDIT: Voted for option B by the way... The only rule I think we need is one for plagiarism, with the "Doomishness" thing being more along the lines of a helpful suggestion unless you want your idea to be ignored (I consider "Doomishness" to be at best a flimsy and extremely subjective concept that, in large part, only serves to divide and distract the ones doing the brainstorming such that they end up wasting time arguing over wether or not, say, a flamethrower, is sufficiently "Doomish" or not instead of coming up with new ideas or improvements to old ones, such as how to make that same flamethrower workable within DoomRL)...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:11 by Captain Trek »

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 05:48 »

OK, now we just need a thread to discuss what "doomish" is.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 05:55 »

Do it somewhere else guys - with this, the 26th post, there are only three serious monster requests that weren't transferred from the "New unique" thread, and one of them is the much requested Spectre. Aki discussion can take place in a different thread :P.

EDIT: Changed the two to three. I forgot your Gun Turret idea, Pass :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:15 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 06:20 »

And could we have an unique monster, just like boss, but less powerful. Killing him would give you an unique, or maybe an artifact.
Oh, oh, oh! We have one already! He's called Angel of Death and you get a shiny spear for killing him! Although he DOES kick your ass harder...
Sorry if I'm being a dick about it
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:21 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 07:06 »

So, any opinions on Gun Turrets?
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 07:54 »

It seems workable, and if the demons can build walking spider bots and huge ass cybernetic driven demons, why not corrupt automated defense systems (all good bases should have them :P).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7