Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 06:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: New enemies  (Read 41136 times)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New enemies
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 09:44 »

Turrets sound like a good idea. If they're corrupted, then that's a good reason for the fact that the demons won't be targeted.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

knlbr

• Lance Corporal
  • yuo is teh doom 'd'd'd
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25 »

spider mastermind. could be the boss of a special level, a tad more health than an archvile and fires the same way as the heavy weapons guy, only stronger

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 12:31 »

Oh, oh, oh! We have one already! He's called Angel of Death and you get a shiny spear for killing him! Although he DOES kick your ass harder...
Sorry if I'm being a dick about it
Hey, UAPGS! I mean mini-bosses spawned on ORDINARY levels, just like uniques. We don't have such. AoD is spawned in UC, it's not an ordinary level, it has layout.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 14:42 »

Dios mio. Okay. Aki doesn't have tact. Bottom line. Let's get used to the fact that he is going to spout stupid things instead of useful things a good portion of the time. He DOES have some good thoughts. He will often tell you that your thoughts suck. This is your opportunity to improve on them, and prove him wrong. Because chances are high that he is wrong.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR

Yeah, if it motivates you guys, go ahead. Prove me wrong. As long as you're getting some stuff done.

That's because your ego takes up so much room that it's impossible for people to not notice it... :P

:P

I imagine you were actually banned because your ego causes you to rudely and forcefully impose your opinions on others... Oh and last I checked, the definition of "free thinking" didn't include insulting people just because they disagree with you... :P

You had to be there, it was fun, to say the least :>

And Aki's certainly not the only one, as I said, 'nor is he the worst, but his biggest problem is that he's always complaining which, funnily enough, is exactly what the other three members of my "chronic self-importance" section did, to varying degrees...

Someone who is always complaining is Karry. No matter what happens, It always complains.

I'm not always complaining, i'm actively striving for improvement.

EDIT: Voted for option B by the way... The only rule I think we need is one for plagiarism, with the "Doomishness" thing being more along the lines of a helpful suggestion unless you want your idea to be ignored (I consider "Doomishness" to be at best a flimsy and extremely subjective concept that, in large part, only serves to divide and distract the ones doing the brainstorming such that they end up wasting time arguing over wether or not, say, a flamethrower, is sufficiently "Doomish" or not instead of coming up with new ideas or improvements to old ones, such as how to make that same flamethrower workable within DoomRL)...

"Undoomish" ideas cannot go into the main game. Going into special levels, artifacts, exotics and the like is fine, but Kornel has already stated that to be standardized, they have to have some level of doomishness.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 15:06 »

We should find ways to include enemies from the newer doom games.  Some of them will have to be heavily modified from what they do in their source game of course.  We should focus on making them fit the roguelike more than making them exactly as they were.

The doom 3 enemies and bosses plus the demon queen from Doom64 could be included in some way or another.  Or they could be starting points for more interesting monsters.  There's also some good monster ideas we could use from certain Doom wads.  Here's a good source:  http://www.tormentor667.de/

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 20:15 »

I mean mini-bosses spawned on ORDINARY levels, just like uniques. We don't have such. AoD is spawned in UC, it's not an ordinary level, it has layout.
Ah, I get what you're saying. Like, maybe a former human general, walks around packing a vamped up shotty :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 20:17 by UnderAPaleGreySky »
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 06:05 »

Ok, high time I bump into this topic.

First of all let me make myself clear -- as far as DoomRL 1 goes, the only three enemy types that may make it into the game are Spectre, Player Ghosts and Spider Mastermind.

Additionally probably named "champion" monsters may appear, but they will just be variations of one of the common base types.

HOWEVER, this is not the case with DoomRL 2. There I'll need more monsters anyway. I especially liked the idea of former * -- but they should probably have some more unique abilities. When it comes to monster types, I'm all over quality over quanity -- by that I mean little monster types but each significantly different.

Aki, Chill Out :)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 06:10 »

Additionally probably named "champion" monsters may appear, but they will just be variations of one of the common base types.
Such as the champion monsters found in Diablo 2?

Player Ghosts
Wait, what?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:24 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 06:32 »

Wouldn't be better to call "champion" monsters "nightmare" monsters, since that's what the uprated imp was called in Doom 64 and what the uprated caco and spectre were called in Doom 64 TC (which admittedly was a mod rather than an official game)?

Anyway, as long as Kornel's thinking about formers for a new DoomRL, here is another rough concept that I think would help to "fill out" the various types of people one might have expected to find on Phobos base before it was attacked...

Former medic:

"The bad new is this guy hasn't lost his extensive knowledge of medicine, meaning he can heal and, with some effort, even revive his fallen comrades. The good news is... well... other than that he's no tougher than any other former, there is no good news..."

Essentially, the former medic would be a lesser arch-vile and would either have the ability to heal nearby zombies and other bad guys, revive them from the dead if he is standing on an adjacant tile (meaning he can raise the dead, but not as effectively as a vile can), or both...

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 06:40 »

Former civilian:

"The weakest of the weak. Generally unarmoured, unarmed, and soft-hitting, but will pick up and use any basic gear. Problem is, there's bound to be a lot of these bastards in the base. And you only have so much ammo."

The general workforce of the UAC base, only introduced when Doom 3 hit the shelves. These guys don't really need much more of a description, but should have a lower hit rate, due to civies having atrocious shooting abilities.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 06:48 »

Former civilian:

"The weakest of the weak. Generally unarmoured, unarmed, and soft-hitting, but will pick up and use any basic gear. Problem is, there's bound to be a lot of these bastards in the base. And you only have so much ammo."

The general workforce of the UAC base, only introduced when Doom 3 hit the shelves. These guys don't really need much more of a description, but should have a lower hit rate, due to civies having atrocious shooting abilities.

I was going to suggest civilians as well, but they seemed rather too boring an addition given how weak former humans already are, so I refrained from it...

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 07:32 »

Heh, they'd be armed with crowbars, wrenches, hammers and... chainsaws :P
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Potman

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 08:34 »

Spider Mastermind should have been in the game like five versions ago. Why isn't it still there?

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 14:11 »

I agree that the current lineup of monsters is more or less sufficient for DoomRL, and what I'd personally like to see in DoomRL 2 would be more content from other iD games and Doom iterations (I know, I know, Doom 3 doesn't count!). The suggestions I have here are mainly for DoomRL 2, for that reason.

I'd be interested to see Nightmare monsters implemented as a 'roided-out version of existing creatures. As far as I remember, there were Nightmare variants of Imps, Demons and Cacodemons in Doom 64.

Other variants of the former humans could be good, too, assuming they're made distinct enough. If it were balanced properly, different former humans could have a chance of dropping items specific to their profession- Former Engineers could have a chance of dropping a modification pack, for example, and Former Scientists might drop a Phase Device or Environmental Suit.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 14:41 »

Cool thing was in the Doom RPG - there were leveled monsters. Official site(http://www.doomrpg.com/n.x/Doom%20RPG/Home/Guide/Bestiary) will tell you more. And now I came to an idea for another monster(Kornel said that ideas would be nice as I understand):

Vile
Dmg: 5d1;
Hp:25;
Special:Restores any corpse as former human\Sergeant\captain dependent of the power of the enemy.
Students of Arch-Viles, they weren't teached fully and now they're using their poor power to try to beat you. Come in packs of 2-3, they will teach you not to call Arch-Viles Viles. Viles will guide you through the whole game till the Arch-ones(If Vile restores a corpse, the original monster is lost, so they will waste corpses for Arch-Viles).
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7