Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 05:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: New enemies  (Read 40839 times)

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
New enemies
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:44 »

At the suggestion of ZZ, I've created this topic for people with enemy ideas. He was getting a tad annoyed (I think) by a new enemy idea being put into a new unique thread. Anyway, moderators, perhaps move some of those posts :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 16:53 by UnderAPaleGreySky »
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Midnight

• Badge Hunter
  • Elder
  • Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: New enemies
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:24 »

IMHO, vanilla actually has all the monsters it needs, really. Ao100, however, would really benefit from a bigger variety of adversaries - because battling through packs of the same old viles gets boring around floor 50. Maybe some miniboss type of monsters should be implemented, which will really break the monotony. Maybe than more people will actually finish Ao100. 

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:28 »

Hey, you never know. Kornel might spy something that he likes, improve on it, and next thing we know, we're getting our asses kicked by something new. But yeah, something needs to be done about the monotony of Ao100.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:40 »

* Aki waits for the influx of shitty ideas

Hate to be a party killer, but half of these ideas (Especially ZZ's, sorry man) tend to be gamebreaking either way (Way too hard, too easy for too big of a reward, ect).

Please think your ideas through before posting, and consider actually putting *some* thought into them, such as health buffs on harder difficulties and stuff.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:00 »

Reposting, because I am the "party-inviter" [:

Former security officer:

"Now this one is a sneaky bastard. Be a man and drop that riot shield!"

Former security officers are like regular former human except for one thing. They carry a riot shield. If former security officer is shot normally (without aiming) then the riot shield takes all the damage, leacing the former security officer unhurt. The riot shield deteriorates as a green armour [100%] [1/1]. The only way to hit the bastard is to aim... so the best way is to kill them with a pistol-like weapon. While aiming, the riot shield doesn't take damage but the former security officer.

Also they are carrying Glock 30 pistol. It has a magazine of 9 bullets, deal 3d3 damage, has accuracy of 5+. Base fire time is 0,8 sec, reload 1,0 sec.

Ah yes, this is the idea I saw somewhere on the forum here...

And also a think-over of the too much specific monster:

I think that this monster is ideal for the Doomiverse. On a scientific-military like UAC you have soldiers, scientists and security personnel. You still have your level of abstraction, it's not the "Kyle, former high ranked security officer, contractor from Kamaz corporation ltd." it is just "former security officer". That's all.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:02 by Melon »
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:27 »

Perhaps I'm not getting the intent behind the board, but I kinda gathered that the request for features board was where ideas came together, no matter how stupid or crazy, and then were either instantly discarded (and sometimes later picked up), or improved upon.

Personally, I've rarely had an idea that came together all at once, perfectly. And when I've been designing games I've welcomed all stupid input.

That being said, Spectres. Yes, Spectres. Please?
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Passionario

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 09:17 »

Gun Turrets: High rate of fire, high accuracy, but completely stationary. At early levels/difficulty modes, they fire bullets. Later on, plasma and rockets come into play.
Who do you send when Warp can't get the job done?

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 14:13 »

John Romero
And you thought JC was bad enough...

Very similiar to JC and Cybie but one difference.. Instead of a rocket launcher, he uses.. A BFG9000. And when you beat him, he drops it, or maybe you win the game? Who knows.

And yes this would obviously be in Ao100 rather then normal =P
i dont even know anymore

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 14:29 »

* Aki waits for the influx of shitty ideas

Hate to be a party killer, but half of these ideas (Especially ZZ's, sorry man) tend to be gamebreaking either way (Way too hard, too easy for too big of a reward, ect).

Please think your ideas through before posting, and consider actually putting *some* thought into them, such as health buffs on harder difficulties and stuff.

This. Please.

Serious ideas only. Just reiterating.
[0.9.9.7]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 14:59 »

Diablo
Spawns in a late game, caries nothing, atacks in melee, 1 kill lethal. Getting him down is a top priority.(Not spawns on AoB)

P.S:And could we have an unique monster, just like boss, but less powerful. Killing him would give you an unique, or maybe an artifact. On the level you hear a message 'You sence there is someone who command demons!' or 'You sence there is a demon from the deepest hell!'
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 15:12 by ZZ »
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 17:10 »

...No. No, No, No.

I don't care how awesome it would be to have Diablo pop up in DoomRL. I say Nay.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 18:13 »

Alright, here's my monster idea again...

Former engineer:

This combat engineer's inventive mind sadly wasn't enough to save him from the demonic hordes... His brain (or what's left of it) now works for them...

Essentially, this former would manifest himself as a green or yellow "h" who would start off with no weapons at all other than punching and perhaps the same Glock the former security officer would use, but would be able to pick up and use any weapon he can lay his hands on (including uniques), meaning that the player could, conceivably, find himself staring down the barrel of a nuclear BFG wielded by a former engineer... This would, however, necessitate the player being able to tell what weapon the engineer is carrying and would also necessitate some method by which the engineer could chose which of his carried weapons he'd like to use, all of which is perhaps too complex to be implemented effectively...

Oh and Aki, you really need to get over yourself... The very nature of ideas is that most of them aren't good (or are good, but impractical) and the ones that are good tend to start out in a rough, unrefined state that needs to be improved upon before it can be implemented and used, just like how James Watt was able to improve the Newcomen steam engine in such a way that it became a hundred times more viable for mass use than Newcomen's original design was... For this reason, all ideas are valid as what might seem like a bad idea at first can easily become a good idea if one is willing to modify it. Indeed, often those modifications don't even need to be all that extensive. Going back to the steam engine example, Watt's modification to the Newcomen design was actually a very simple one and yet it was a vast improvement...

OK, how about this for an idea, Aki? Instead of moping about how horrible all of our ideas are, why don't you instead suggest ways that they can be improved so that they stop being horrible ideas? You know, like how I suggested that the sec. off's shield should be only 50% effective against plasma and explosions so as to avoid them being too effective against higher-end weapons? And don't try to hide behind "Doomishness" arguments against improving a monster idea, because even if the idea isn't particularly "Doomish" (who the Hell is meant to judge constitutes "Doomish" is, anyway?) and has little chance of being implemented into the main game, I see no reason why the concept can't still be improved upon in terms of balance and ease of addition into the game (perhaps for a mod if the idea is inappropriate for the main game)...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 18:26 by Captain Trek »

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 19:00 »

And don't try to hide behind "Doomishness" arguments against improving a monster idea, because even if the idea isn't particularly "Doomish" (who the Hell is meant to judge constitutes "Doomish" is, anyway?)

...Kornel.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 19:37 »

This is gonna be fun...

Oh and Aki, you really need to get over yourself...
Won’t happen.
The very nature of ideas is that most of them aren't good (or are good, but impractical) and the ones that are good tend to start out in a rough, unrefined state that needs to be improved upon before it can be implemented and used, just like how James Watt was able to improve the Newcomen steam engine in such a way that it became a hundred times more viable for mass use than Newcomen's original design was... For this reason, all ideas are valid as what might seem like a bad idea at first can easily become a good idea if one is willing to modify it. Indeed, often those modifications don't even need to be all that extensive. Going back to the steam engine example, Watt's modification to the Newcomen design was actually a very simple one and yet it was a vast improvement...

tl;dr

Seriously, though, most ideas are just shit. At least the example you provided was something that could have done something, it had potential. Half the stuff I see (And half the stuff I suggest, don’t think that I’m just criticising everyone else as well) is just retarded crap that has no potential. Insta-kill enemies? That’s either gonna be too broken (300% speed and insta-kill: ;_;) or it’s just cannon fodder. The suggester has to put *some* thought into what they’re doing, like your inventor guy or whatever. Otherwise, people just do shit like this:

SUPER OWNAGE THING (10d10)*9001 [1/1]

TAKES CELLS LOL

100000s RELOAD OVERCOMES THE SUPERIOR FIREPOWER ONE SHOT THAT’S IT

0.000000000001s FIRETIME TOO MMK SO IT’S NOT TOTALLY USELESS

ALTFIRE GIVES IT 1000000000000000000000000 BLAST RADIUS

WAT DO U GUYZ THINK

Or:

SUPER BROKEN DUDE

100 HEALTH 10 ARMOUR APPEARS ON REGULAR LVLS

HAS 10 MEDIPACKS IN INVENTORY AND CAN USE THEM OH AND HAS A BFG AND LOTS OF CELLS

RLY A PAIN ESPECIALLY WITH VILES BUT IF YOU KILL THM YOU GET A BFG COOL HUH

Stuff like that has *no* potential.

OK, how about this for an idea, Aki? Instead of moping about how horrible all of our ideas are, why don't you instead suggest ways that they can be improved so that they stop being horrible ideas?

I provide ideas to stuff I think has potential, instead of drop-dead shit with no potential.

You know, like how I suggested that the sec. off's shield should be only 50% effective against plasma and explosions so as to avoid them being too effective against higher-end weapons?

While it doesn’t seem like it at first glance, I do know what a suggestion is ;)

And don't try to hide behind "Doomishness" arguments against improving a monster idea, because even if the idea isn't particularly "Doomish" (who the Hell is meant to judge constitutes "Doomish" is, anyway?)

Kornel. Kornel. Kornel.

Kornel has explicitly stated multiple times that shit’s gotta have some sort of doomishness about it (Excepting unique, but they’re mostly designed for shout-outs.) The Former Commando is there to provide you with a Plasma Rifle, because there’s no guaranteed spawns (Unlike the BFG, for instance).

The only other place for “Undoomish” stuff is minibosses/mods.
and has little chance of being implemented into the main game, I see no reason why the concept can't still be improved upon in terms of balance and ease of addition into the game (perhaps for a mod if the idea is inappropriate for the main game)...

Let’s put time and effort into carefully balancing the thing that won’t ever make it into the main game because it’s undoomish! Yay! [/sarcasm]

I learnt the stuff from modding from experience. Modding is the least of Kornel’s worries at the moment, it’s been pushed back further and further. Discuss modding stuff when modding’s out.
[0.9.9.7]

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 20:17 »

Won’t happen

Then we have nothing more to dicuss... Consider yourself filed in my "chronic self-importance" section alongside other notorious forumers on other sites I used to frequent... Ymgir* the Frost Giant says hi! :)

*It's actually Ymir, but this forumer, naturally, had it spelt wrong...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:04 by Captain Trek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7