Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 04:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Well...another not new, but still stupid idea...  (Read 12839 times)

Rjak

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Well...another not new, but still stupid idea...
« on: November 05, 2009, 21:34 »

Maybe, you could add the option of "throwing" anyhing, such in other RL? It could be barred from Angel of Berserk and Angel of Pacifism, but could make in new "challenge" -
Angel of Buffonade
 -
Now you are not just a UAC marine with affinity to juggling , but a real juggler, right from the circus - and YOU are the only thing , that can destroy evil,lurking below(or die trying) - you can't fire weapons at all(if you try to - they explode), but you can throw absolutely anything at your foe, and you are a bit better with it, than others( shouldn't be too much)
Well, any thrown ammo should have quite short range of throwing, and possibility of detonating(depends of type)  - 10mm should have low, rockets should have higher ( and by the way, why barrels do explode and rockets - never....only cause "it was so in Doom?"...)

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Well...another not new, but still stupid idea...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:54 »

Throwing would be a reasonable addition, but would it enhance the gameplay experience this much? Every time you implement a new feature into a game, you make it more complex. Complexity, if not divided into subsections, can lower the tempo of the game. DoomRL is designed as a coffeebreak RL, so any added complexity that does not increase the gameplay value goes against the whole idea.

Technically, you can emulate everything you would throw by shooting. Grenades could be handled as rockets shot at the ground. Throwing weapons are just shooting weapons. It wouldn't make a huge difference I think, if it was just being able to throw a medkit instead of dropping it. I also doubt that throwing ammunition would make it explode^^''

What I think is a good idea: Objects you can throw or place remotely, which act as barrells (which I suggested already)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 15:46 »

Okay this idea is stupid. Why would you want to throw anything but knives? Why not just suggest a throwing knife exotic?

...And to be honest, You would need a Grav Gun for me to enjoy throwing anything, including Barrels.

EDIT: Oh, and about Rockets. A) Rockets do explode, unless you mean like they don't explode when shot, which, meh. Countered by B) Yes. "It was like that in Doom" is a perfectly good and acceptible answer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 16:17 by Madtrixr »
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Jarkko

• Sergeant
  • P4P GOAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 16:32 »

Grav Gun

Go post that in the "new uniques" topic. Throwing monsters and barrels around the room might be fun.

About rockets, they should explode when caught in an explosion while on the floor. Would be fun. Actually I think that has been suggested before, maybe it'll get implemented one day.
Throwing would be a reasonable addition, but would it enhance the gameplay experience this much? Every time you implement a new feature into a game, you make it more complex. Complexity, if not divided into subsections, can lower the tempo of the game. DoomRL is designed as a coffeebreak RL, so any added complexity that does not increase the gameplay value goes against the whole idea.

Yet there's a topic about crafting quickly gaining popularity... *shudders*

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 00:43 »

Go post that in the "new uniques" topic. Throwing monsters and barrels around the room might be fun.

About rockets, they should explode when caught in an explosion while on the floor. Would be fun. Actually I think that has been suggested before, maybe it'll get implemented one day.
Rockets when get caught in explosion... explode...
Power cells when get caught in explosion... explode like an acid barrel.
And when Nuclear BFG gets caught in the explosion...
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38 »

And when Nuclear BFG gets caught in the explosion...
o_O
You see the message telling you theres a unique around. Walking along a corridor, you level with a door and open it. In the same round, an imp pops through an opening, and launches a fireball. It misses you, and hits the wall of the room you opened. Suddenly, the world flashes, and everything dies.
Turns out that the Unique was Nuclear... and was sitting against that wall. :D
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:41 »

o_O
You see the message telling you theres a unique around. Walking along a corridor, you level with a door and open it. In the same round, an imp pops through an opening, and launches a fireball. It misses you, and hits the wall of the room you opened. Suddenly, the world flashes, and everything dies.
Turns out that the Unique was Nuclear... and was sitting against that wall. :D
Exatacactly! Imagine a stupid death when you try to clean-up your inventory and you drop the nuclear BFG into lava :D
That would be the detonation type of explosion. If it was the deflagration type of explosion you would still manage to shout "O F***!", whilst with the detonation type you wouldn't even manage to think "O F***!".
In the mortem it would look like "5 commited stupid suicide. 2 of them didn't even manage to shout "O F***!""
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:45 by Melon »

... niczym bracia!

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46 »

Or you drop it temporarily to make room for some nice booties you're standing on, only to have an imp lob a fireball, catching the Nuclear weapon in the blast radius.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:56 by UnderAPaleGreySky »

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14 »

Or you drop it temporarily to make room for some nice booties you're standing on, only to have an imp lob a fireball, catching the Nuclear weapon in the blast radius.
Hm, I think now I know why rockets don't explode when caught in flames or explosion, they just disappear [;

... niczym bracia!

Journey

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 06:19 »

I wouldn't mind if you could kick adjacent barrels a few tiles distance away from you in 1 action (10 in-game turns) - you could kick a barrel towards a bunch of enemies, shoot it next action, and win.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 06:55 »

Unfortunately, a few tiles away is too close - self-cooked marine for the demons :P.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 09:06 »

Okay this idea is stupid. Why would you want to throw anything but knives? Why not just suggest a throwing knife exotic?

...And to be honest, You would need a Grav Gun for me to enjoy throwing anything, including Barrels.

EDIT: Oh, and about Rockets. A) Rockets do explode, unless you mean like they don't explode when shot, which, meh. Countered by B) Yes. "It was like that in Doom" is a perfectly good and acceptible answer.

I don't know if I got you right there, but you can't throw ammunition in Doom. Also, modern rockets don't explode when thrown. They even don't explode when misfired. And on top of all of that, rockets rarely "explode" as much as they "pump themselves into armor". Sure, getting down with too much realism makes no sense, but exploding thrown ammunition? Who would throw stuff if it was so dangerous to do that?

Yes, so what? That's a different thread. Am I to blame for having a suggestion? Denied ideas are more creative than no ideas, why are you being unfriendly about that?

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 14:15 »

I don't know if I got you right there, but you can't throw ammunition in Doom. Also, modern rockets don't explode when thrown. They even don't explode when misfired. And on top of all of that, rockets rarely "explode" as much as they "pump themselves into armor". Sure, getting down with too much realism makes no sense, but exploding thrown ammunition? Who would throw stuff if it was so dangerous to do that?

I know, that's what I 'm saying. Why would you want to throw perfectly good ammunition, when you have a weapon for doing so? I'm just going to say that my post was sort of jumbled up.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:42 »

I know, that's what I 'm saying. Why would you want to throw perfectly good ammunition, when you have a weapon for doing so? I'm just going to say that my post was sort of jumbled up.

Basically, if we have the ability to throw things, it needs to make some kind of tactical difference.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34 »

Basically, if we have the ability to throw things, it needs to make some kind of tactical difference.

Exactly.
And Tactical sense.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All