Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 15:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Well...another not new, but still stupid idea...  (Read 12909 times)

Jarkko

• Sergeant
  • P4P GOAT
    • View Profile
Re: Well...another not new, but still stupid idea...
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 14:34 »

Yes, so what? That's a different thread. Am I to blame for having a suggestion? Denied ideas are more creative than no ideas, why are you being unfriendly about that?

Sorry about that, I guess I didn't choose my words well. What I meant to post was that I completely share your feelings on the matter and don't want overly complicated things disturbing the very nicely working balance of DoomRL.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:27 »

Exactly.
And Tactical sense.

But still, throwing could be implemented if there were any ideas for items that make sense throwing. For example an item that attracts monsters to pick it up... like a bomb disguised as a medkit (even if that is a weird item). Or an item that creates a wall or something. Or an item that repels monsters (some kind of holy thing, like a cross). But still, it all sounds quite weird to me.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 16:19 »

But still, throwing could be implemented if there were any ideas for items that make sense throwing. For example an item that attracts monsters to pick it up... like a bomb disguised as a medkit (even if that is a weird item). Or an item that creates a wall or something. Or an item that repels monsters (some kind of holy thing, like a cross). But still, it all sounds quite weird to me.

Right. Grenades, smoke bombs, something like that. (It DOES sound weird, and sort of undoomish)
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 02:36 »

GOD DAMN IT! If anyone will use the argument "It is undoomish" I will start to kill people!

What is the matter with you guys? Are barrels of napalm undoomish? Hell they are, because in the original game, they were barrels of acid. To make things worse, the original barrels just exploded and the ones in the game leave acid. It is so untrue, so no uber-kvlt, so undoomish!

There weren't 25 + 1 levels. There there 4 episodes (DOOM I) or 32-single player levels. DoomMRL is so undoomish!

Former human zombies had green haircut, so when we are looking at them from the top, we should see green hair. And in DooMRL, 'h' is white-grey. It is so undoomish.

Can anyone of you guys say: "I think this will imbalance the game..." "This will make the game more difficult" "We already have this..." "This weapon is similar to... so we shouldn't add it" "This weapon is overpowered, because..."

No, all you guys can say: "It's undoomish". Hell, then what are:
former commandos, diffirent arch-vile attack, no spider-mastermind, unique armours, unique weapons, traits, tired status, flat levels
doing in the game?

Seriously, you remind of some young metal-wannabe posers:
"Metallica is great, but only the first four album. And of course the first album is the best"
"I cannot listen to that, that's NU-metal!"
"That's not death metal, it has keyboard line!"
"I cannot listen to that, the vocalist isn't satanist"
"I cannot listen to that, the vocalist doesn't have long hair"

Enough of the ranting, time to get back to work...
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42 »

I think the argument is not really meant as "undoomish" but rather "wouldn't fit the style of doomRL". I think we all know that doomRL is not trying to be a copy of doom. It's that own interpretation of doom as a rougelike that makes it worth playing.

The problem with throwing items is as follows:

You have smoke grenades! How do you handle them? As a smoke rocket launcher that doesn't use up ammo but itself instead. There's no need to implement a distinct throwing feature because as for now, all suitable ideas for throwing are thrown weapons, which have no big difference over being shot. Do I have to press "t" to throw my knife at the opponent instead of implementing a secondary fire on the knife, or even implementing a throwing knife that fires with "f" and stabs with "F" or directional keys? It only makes sense to be able to throw items if the items as such have to be placed somewhere tactically important. That's what my attraction/repelling item idea usually was (although holy water would actually be an idea...)

Still, as long as there is no reason to place an item on the ground over a distance where the shooting algorithm wouldn't suffice to do so, adding a throwing feature only adds up to code and playing complexity IMHO.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 03:54 »

Wait a minute.... by way of saying grenades are undoomish, are we then saying that Doom 3 is undoomish? And throwing stuff? I remember having a GravGun, of sorts..
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 05:10 »

Doom 3 is undoomish if you ask me. I never played it through a second time. If you ask me, a cyberdemon that requires an ancient artifact that drains life from enemies when I kill 5 of them, spamming "Use us!" at my ears instead of ramming down thousands of HP's in an epic battle where I use up the firepower of a whole nation, is undoomish. In my little world, doom is a mixture of "damnit, you're alone here" and "damnit, there's a ton of them". Dark corridors and "sneaky" attacks are only one part of doom. The other part is huge bunches of enemies, simply spoken. Doom 3 didn't have that. Damn, enemies just vanished into ashes in a very unspectacular way that robbed you from the illusion of your enemies being filled with organs. Instead, you see they're just polygon models.

Is a battle after which NO corpses remain on the battlefield doomish? There you go. Back to topic, excuse me for my rant about Doom 3.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 09:30 »

GOD DAMN IT! If anyone will use the argument "It is undoomish" I will start to kill people!

What is the matter with you guys? Are barrels of napalm undoomish? Hell they are, because in the original game, they were barrels of acid. To make things worse, the original barrels just exploded and the ones in the game leave acid. It is so untrue, so no uber-kvlt, so undoomish!

There weren't 25 + 1 levels. There there 4 episodes (DOOM I) or 32-single player levels. DoomMRL is so undoomish!

Former human zombies had green haircut, so when we are looking at them from the top, we should see green hair. And in DooMRL, 'h' is white-grey. It is so undoomish.

Can anyone of you guys say: "I think this will imbalance the game..." "This will make the game more difficult" "We already have this..." "This weapon is similar to... so we shouldn't add it" "This weapon is overpowered, because..."

No, all you guys can say: "It's undoomish". Hell, then what are:
former commandos, diffirent arch-vile attack, no spider-mastermind, unique armours, unique weapons, traits, tired status, flat levels
doing in the game?

Seriously, you remind of some young metal-wannabe posers:
"Metallica is great, but only the first four album. And of course the first album is the best"
"I cannot listen to that, that's NU-metal!"
"That's not death metal, it has keyboard line!"
"I cannot listen to that, the vocalist isn't satanist"
"I cannot listen to that, the vocalist doesn't have long hair"

Enough of the ranting, time to get back to work...

Jesus Melon, calm down. I'm the only one who said Undoomish. No need to flip out.

And I SAID Undoomish, because I thought saying "It's a stupid fucking idea that Kornel will never implement in a million goddamn years." was a tad too rude.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 01:29 »

I think Melon wasn't just talking about this particular thread and I can totally understand his idea, but let's not fight over this here. I think we'd all rather stay on topic, nay? ^_^

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56 »

You know what? Let's not even talk about this again until DoomRL 2 (or even 3) has an Ideas thread.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 09:10 »

Sounds reasonable.

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 06:23 »

* Cyber Killer likes the idea of dropping a nuke into lava ;-) (exploding ammo packs of rockets, cells, etc - also)

This would give a kind of "volatile ammo" mutator from Unreal Tournament feel into the game ;-).

Only as an optional feature though, cause it could get sometimes annoying.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 06:41 »

* Cyber Killer likes the idea of dropping a nuke into lava ;-) (exploding ammo packs of rockets, cells, etc - also)

This would give a kind of "volatile ammo" mutator from Unreal Tournament feel into the game ;-).

Only as an optional feature though, cause it could get sometimes annoying.

You enter Phobos Hell, lev 2. Khe, khe, khe, this will be a mess. Your Geiger Counter is going crazy (meaning, there is a nuke on the level).

So you shoot accidentally a barrel. Guess what happens next...
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 09:59 »

Or worse: There's those shotgun-wielding sergeants...

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 10:09 »

HK, BoH, REVS. ARCH-VILES.
Yeah, not a good idea. Maybe a good idea for a Mod, but not an implementation to the game. (Mutators are basically mods, so yeah.)

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All