Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 20:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's try this again...  (Read 5679 times)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Let's try this again...
« on: November 07, 2009, 00:37 »

Malek was willing to DM a 4e campaign on the board. However, there was lack of interest.

I have decided that if Malek is up for it. I'm starting this thread to try again. I pledge my support for this initiative and will fierecely try to keep it alive. Come on people, don't leave me hanging on this one.

...So Sayeth Norian Uthadar, Cleric of Pelor.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Let's try this again...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57 »

Sorry, but at the current time I am lacking will to do any DMing.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16 »

* Madtrixr hangs his head down and sighs...

...Could ya PM me when you feel up to it at least?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42 »

I don't really know enough about 4e to be comfortable.

If you can get a campaign on 4e Athas, though, I may feel... obliged... to learn it, though.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 00:21 »

I generally play a thief. I'm willing to adapt my style to 4th Edition. Just be aware that I will be playing a THIEF.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 00:40 »

Fair enough. Rogue it is for Tav. Every good party needs one.

Now all we need is a Fighter and a Wizard(and a DM with an adventure) and we are set for action. Hell, if we have to, Me and Tav will go on the adventure alone.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51 »

How much does 4.0 differ from 3.0 ?

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 12:05 »

Very: All classes are use the same power-based system (albeit some have their unique twist at it) and are classified by role (Defender, Leader, Striker, Controller - roles give a hint on what a class is good thing). Stuff like BAB and skill points are gone replaced with <Ability mod> + 1/2 level + <various mods>. Saves are now defenses (i.e. act like AC, with attacker rolling rather then defender) and there is a flat d20 saving throw for timed effects (10+ saves). LA is gone, so are racial penalties to stats. Feats are weaker but more plentiful. Between powers, feats and stat increases there are no "dead" levels. Classes are more balanced combat-wise (yes, even the bard). Gone is the "diagonal movement counts as 1.5 tile of move". Grid is quite important for combat.

Also: 4.0 is primarly high fantasy (i.e. it doesn't try to be catch-it-all system like 3.X was), books are more crunch then fluff; and it is intended to be combat-heavy (this is a hard thing for some to swallow - me, I like 4.0 combat so I'm fine... never had problems with Icewindale-ish gameplay ;P)

Also v2: It's much more easier for DM in my humble opinion - I wouldn't try DMing 3.X, even a module. In 4.0 I somehow managed.

PS. The above changes are just the stuff that comes to mind in short notice.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 17:25 »

Meh, I'm usually more comfortable as a meat-shield than a caster. If I can find the 4.0 player's handbook on the cheap, I may roll up a Defender for this.

And I stand by my request for a game in the Dark Sun setting.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 22:58 »

4.0 Dark Sun setting is coming out somwhere next year :P

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 10:25 »

Well, welcome on board Rae.

One or two more people are probably needed, plus a DM.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 20:46 »

Alright, I finished making Joseph Morningstar.

...It's too bad we lost collapsible spoilers in the upgrade... someone tell me if I screwed something up.

----

Play Data

Joseph Morningstar
Lv. 1
Fighter
No Paragon Path
No Epic Destiny
0 XP
Medium Human
Nonaligned
Der Ein

Initiative Modifier +/- 0 (0+0+0)

AC 10 (10 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0)
Fort 16 (10 + 3 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 2 + 1)
Will 12 (10 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1)
Reflex 11 (10 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1)

Speed

ST 16 +3 (+2 for Human)
CO 16 +3 (6 Bonus HP)
DE 10 +0
IN 11 +0
WI 13 +1
CH 12 +1

P.Perception 10 (10 + 0)
P.Insight 10 (10 + 0)

HP 31/31 (15 + 16) (15) (7) (12)

Action Points: 1

Trained Skills:
Athletics +5
Endurance +5
Heal +5

Features for being Human:

+ 2 to any ability score (added to Strength)
Knows Common, Primordeal (see Bio)
Inherent +1 bonus to saves

Class Features:
Combat Challenge
Combat Superiority (+1)
Fighter Weapon Talent (1H Weapons get +1)

At Will Exploits:
Lv.1
Crushing Surge
Tide of Iron
(...)

Encounter Exploits:
Lv.1
Covering Attack

Daily Exploits:
Lv.1
Knee Breaker

Feats: (...)

Equipment: Mace (Special Inheritance), Light Shield (Special inheritance), (...)

Intended Build: Pit Fighter, Eternal Seeker

----

Bio

"I don't remember my parents... I think the reason I became a warrior was because of Captain Frederick. He taught me that, although life was precious and needs to be preserved, it loses its meaning if death isn't allowed to happen, either."

"I served in the army as an errand boy to Frederick for a few years. Once I was able to fight with real weapons, he gave me this mace and this shield, everything else I've got is from the occasional scrap."

"It was about a year after getting this mace that Frederick was killed. I don't think I'd have been able to keep him from getting killed, but Zehir take the necromancer that got his hands on Frederick's corpse. I swear, when I find that bastard, I'll make him wish that the Raven Queen had got him instead. Got this scar on my eye from having to put the poor guy down."

"I remember, about a year before Frederick gave me this mace, I ran into a funny little guy named Llod. Kept talking about "crossing the gray" or something like that. Don't really remember everything, but he kept talking about getting to someplace called Korbnor. The two of us taught each other how to speak Primordeal. Last time I saw him, he was working on a teleportation spell. He said that, if we ever met again, he'd magic my mace into a better mace. I think that promise is why I've still got this thing."

"The best thing that ever happened to me? I dunno, probably being taken in by Frederick. All things, selfish or selfless, lawful or lawless, good or evil... All things die in the end. I just want to live my life to the fullest before my time ends."

"I don't really know much about my parents or family... The worst that could happen is that some necromancer took them and turned them into zombies or skeletons or something like that. I get the feeling that they'd rather I had been a wizard like Llod, though."

"I'm not the strongest, or the smartest, or the most handy... but I can stand my ground against many foes."

"I'm primarily a Member of the Cult of Der Ein, but I'm one who respects the clerics of Bahamut, who follows the laws of the Raven Queen, and that seeks to end the blight of Necromancy brought on by Vecna and his followers. Death is what makes life precious. I will not allow anyone to make a mockery of the natural law."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:46 by raekuul »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 23:36 »

1. You're 4 points over the limit with stats - re-check the point buy ;P (stats calculator)

2. Hit points are 15 + Constitution SCORE. So 15 + 16 = 31. Also good habit to have surge value written down (7) and number of healing surges (12)

3. Got one more class skill to pick from race. Also noting total modifiers for class skills at least can be helpfull

4. Feats: Improved Perserverance - what the hell? You mean Human Perserverance per chence? Also you don't need to take shield proficiency, fighters are proficient with all shields by default.

5. Powers: Got third at will due to beeing human

6. Equipment: Fighters can't wear a plate without taking a feat (which you could take). Take a heavy shield. And why club, it's inferior to other club-like weapons.

7. Fort defense is 17

That's all at quick glance, not touching power choices or fluff, maby I'll comment more once I get back from work.

Oh, and I also suggest using Myth-Weavers for storing character sheets (registration required) - they have nifty charsheets that do some of the math for you (example)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 23:40 by Malek Deneith »

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 06:12 »

1) Humans get to add 2 to any one ability score, and I started with the standard array. I'll re-check it, though.

2) Didn't know that.

3) Will do.

4) I must have really screwed this up.

5) Will do.

6) I'll fix this sometime today.

7) Didn't know that.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 09:22 »

@1 - me bad actually, in all the haste and sleepines I somehow misunderstood and thought that you have 16 str base + 2 racial for total 18 ^^" So the stats should be okay, and the fortitude defense (#7) will stay on 16
Pages: [1]