Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 01:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: critical hits  (Read 2946 times)

xenozid

• Lance Corporal
  • Torture Department
    • View Profile
critical hits
« on: November 16, 2009, 11:01 »

imo every good RPG needs criticals (for all the ninjas and snipers out there) so here´s my idea for doomRL.
maybe enemys shouldn´t be able to hit you critically, UV and N! games would be TOO random otherwise. i´d suggest the average player starts with 5% crit. chance and to increase it you´d have to get some kind of trait. maybe there´s 3 of them increasing the chance for 15% resulting in 50% crit.chance. or maybe 2 with 20% resulting in 45% crit.chance. and after "critical hit chance trait lvl 2" there could be a trait to increase the dmg. dealt per critical... (leading to some kind of sharpshooter master trait with EE3 or INT1)
...about the dmg. boost per critical...maybe 20% ? too much ? not enough ? dunno...
...maybe we need a new weapon class "rifle" for this to work because i think rockets could potentially break this, so this critical thing only works with pistols and rifles.

hope you like, discuss, i really think the whole space marine setting needs some sniper option ^^

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
Re: critical hits
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:56 »

Not a bad concept, but the implementation suggested would make the game waaaaaaaaaay too easy.

Rather than extra damage, how about a critical shot ignores armor?

Since Shotguns already get MAD, and Plasma-based weaponry cuts armor in half anyway (what does the fire-type do to armor?), this would be restricted to melee, pistols (not blaster), and chaingun - basically, any P-type weapon that uses Kinetic ammo.

A base 5% chance to ignore armor, plus a mid-game 2-level trait (requiring what? SoG2?) that improves critical chance by 2%, leading to a maximum 10% chance of ignoring armor altogether.

Also, the sniper option? Use the alt-fire on your starting weapon.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

Jarkko

• Sergeant
  • P4P GOAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 13:55 »

Ignoring armour is a weak effect affecting only monsters and players using pistols or rockets.

I'd vote for base 5% chance for you and the monsters to do double damage and a base level two-tier trait giving a further +15% for a maximum of 35%. This "Lucky bastard" trait would then unlock "Jinxed" giving you a further +50% chance for 85% total chance of double damage but would also set the critical chance for monsters to 50%!

5% base so it doesn't affect the normal playing too much. 15% increases so the trait is at least somewhat useful.* The Jinxed trait for shits and giggles.

*Compare to SoBx3 which doubles plasma rifle damage against B's, A's, M's and V's.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 08:06 »

I don't like the ideas of criticals because they make the game more random than it should be. Compared to Nethack and it's ilk, DoomRL is at its heart an intensely tactical game, and the chance of getting wiped out by a lucky volley from an Arachnotron or Arch-vile compromises that, in my opinion.

I'd go so far as to say that I think the whole damage dice system should be thrown out in favour of a static damage rating for each weapon, but I doubt it's a popular enough idea to be implemented.

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:05 »

I don't like the ideas of criticals because they make the game more random than it should be. Compared to Nethack and it's ilk, DoomRL is at its heart an intensely tactical game, and the chance of getting wiped out by a lucky volley from an Arachnotron or Arch-vile compromises that, in my opinion.

That's exactly why I suggested that a critical hit be an armor-piercing blow rather than actual damage added to the damage roll.

I can see it now - Scoring a piercing blow that deals (dramatic pause) one damage.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.

xenozid

• Lance Corporal
  • Torture Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54 »

Also, the sniper option? Use the alt-fire on your starting weapon.
yeah just like the marine snipers are known to do, snipe with a pistol from 50m distance...

DoomRL is at its heart an intensely tactical game, and the chance of getting wiped out by a lucky volley from an Arachnotron or Arch-vile compromises that, in my opinion.
thats why i think monsters shouldn´t do criticals, only the player

ok, i put some more thinking into this...:
base crit. chance 5%
base crit. effect +50% dmg. (consider that the build has to compete with SoaB and SoG)
3 basic traits +15% crit. chance each
after 2 basic traits 1 adv. trait +50% crit. dmg.
after EE3 or Int1 unlocks "sniper master trait" that replaces the current Cateye:
your sightradius is not increased but you gain a small field of vision around your X when you manually aim outside your sightradius (of course only if its logical, no x-ray vision through walls or so). you could see max. 3 squares further or so
this would simulate a look through the scope and would force a more cautious approach to the levels (until you have Int2 ^^) just like a sniper would progress in hell !...?

this is all with a pistol in mind
(or the rifle, maybe a spiced up pistol (in doomRLII, i know):
Damage:                    6d4/4-24
Average Damage:    14
Damage Type:            Physical
Accuracy:                    +6
Base Fire Time:            1.0 second
Base Reload Time:    1.0 second
Clip Size:                    1
Ammunition:            10mm ammo
just made up while typing, before screaming "too strong !" take a look at the standart shotgun)
because i think with every other kinda weapon the idea of sniping is just absurd, and in this game, in the above form, in many cases...gamebreaking^^

kornel ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:43 by xenozid »
Pages: [1]