Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 22:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New weapon type : Gauss Weaopn  (Read 2804 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
New weapon type : Gauss Weaopn
« on: November 24, 2009, 01:04 »

Rarier than the Uniques themselves, behold,the ultimate scientic research:The Gauss Weaponry.
All gauss weapons has doubled damge from the original ones, and the extra ability - piercing shot.

Tre rarity is(Rariset->...->Commonest):
BFG900->Double Shotgun->RL->Shotgun->Plasmagun->Combat Shotgun->Chaingun->Pistol.

Another facts about Gauss weaponry:
-Ignores accuracy, has an autohit;
-Ignores aromor;
-Consumes twice more ammo;
-Damage doesn't deplete with range(for shotguns, of course);
-Each hit acts like an usual hit from this weapon;
-Special fire fires like an normal weapon of this type;
-Pistols are as rare as advanced chaingun, chaingun is as rare as advanced RL, cobat shotgun - unique.
-Projectiles competely destroy the first wall they hit and stop at second.

The scientific description of Gauss weaponry:
The newest scientific breakthroughs let the engineers to completely rebuild the fire spread system. As the result, weapon shoots the smallest but deadliest shots, with double power. No creature can see them, no say for dodge. And the accelerator system let the missiles to penetrate any monster without loosing speed. The only thing that can stop it is the wall.

All of the idea are designed by me, any similarity is random, only name was stolen. I know it'd be hard to balance and such.Thoughts?
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon type : Gauss Weaopn
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:40 »

One word. Railgun.
Piercing unique wouldn't be so unique after all.

Jarkko

• Sergeant
  • P4P GOAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:36 »

The Railgun is not a Gauss gun(coilgun). A railgun uses current running through the rails and projectile for acceleration. A coilgun has current running through coils around the projectile which make the projectile accelerate. Then again the Doom chaingun is actually a gatling gun so the Railgun might be anything :P I agree with Silhar though that the general idea of gauss weapons is already represented in the game in the form of the Railgun.

Plasma rifle and BFG probably already are "Gauss weapons". They throw around hot plasma, which is likely to be controlled and accelerated to shooting speeds with magnetic fields. Rocket launcher's rockets kill stuff by exploding, accelerating rockets with electromagnets instead of fuel burning to make them go faster wouldn't increase the deadly force a lot I think.

All the "regular" guns, the ones using bullets could have Gauss counterparts, but I think these "Double damage weapons" should be called something else, like some sort of experimental martian tech utilizing the powers of hell combined with technology. Magic like this could enhance all weapons including the RL and BFG. This would be kind of similar to how fantasy games have different materials like steel and mithril. Might not be a bad idea, unless you want to avoid that similarity to fantasy games. It would also require careful balancing. Whether they're more or less powerful/rare than unique weapons for example.

PS. Reading about guns on wikipedia is kind of fun. Also here's a real railgun if you haven't seen one, it's pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OqlTXwLG40

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 12:47 »

Okay. We could have a Gauss Pistol and A Gauss Rifle. That's it. No need for an entire class of weaponry. Some Fallout homages and maybe even MechWarrior if you want another Dragonslayer-esqe "WTF how could you possibly pick this up" type of weapon.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 13:52 »

We already have Gauss Rifle (Railgun).
And shotguns. They're really cool. They'll destroy the entire level if you can handle their power.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 14:32 »

Piercing weapon is a piercing weapon regardless for its name. What I mean is if we introduce Gauss weapons, Railgun will become pointless.

Also, undoomish for me. I loved'em in Crimsonland, loved'em in Fallout, but Doom ? No.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 15:43 »

Well, I'd say... DoomRL 2? :D
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]