Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 23:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Demonic weapons  (Read 7548 times)

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Demonic weapons
« on: December 01, 2009, 12:04 »

From the Tei Tenga thread, the idea of demonic weapons was mentioned and it has brought up this concept with me. It's similar to the Doom Bible concept:

-Former humans (and Revenants? It would kinda make sense) drop souls like ammo.
-There is a demonic mod pack for weapons that turns shotguns into demonic shotguns, chainguns into demonic chainguns etc.
-A demonic weapon eats 1 soul IN ADDITION to any ammo used originally.
-It's better in one or the other way.

How about it?

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
Re: Demonic weapons
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:10 »

This is a good idea for DoomRL 2.
What about the Soulcube and The Artifact too? :)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:30 »

Soulcube was asked for several times but Kornel (and many other people) insis't Doom 3 doesn't exist :P

As for demon items - neither for neither against personally, probably due to idea beeing to general at the moment.

PS. Nice sig Mraz.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

X-Heiko

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34 »

I'm not too good with exact accuracy ratings and damage because I haven't read into the system so much, besides, I wouldn't want an idea to be ignored because I wrote a 5 where a 3 would be more balanced ;)

The Doom Bible had extra weapon efficiency against demons in mind. I think it would be nice to make the weapon unmoddable and more powerful, maybe even more weapon specific (demonic pistol is super accurate, demonic shotgun has super spread etc.)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 16:02 »

But of course, when we say "demon specific", do we refer to all cretins that are not human, or just things with "demon" in its name?  Specifically, do things not demon, cacodemon and cyberdemon count?
I computed, therefore I was.

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01 »

I do not like the idea of the: demonic chaingun, demonic shotgun, demonic chainsaw, demonic plasma gun, demonic...

This doesn't give any climate to the game, it just give a weapon different name and stats, that all. To me, demonic weapons shouldn't even look like human weapons. A good example would be the "Hell Staff". Or any weapon that would have some "chaotic" nature:

"Soul devourer"
Sword that has a high chance to be found in Hell's Forge. Although it deals lower damage than the chainsaw (4d5) it has a chance of 10% to kill instantly anything it just touches

"Leacher"
Another sword. If player has high health, this sword drains his life to deal greater damage to the enemies. However health is drained whether you hit the enemy or not.

"Spitter gun"
A true chaotic weapon. BFG of the chainguns. Spits bullets in a conical shape. Once you pull the trigger 15 bullets start ripping your enemies. The only minus is that it takes 2 seconds to use. For demons it is only 1 second.

"Corrupter"
Looks like Hell Staff, but has one important feature. It corrupts you and turns you slowly to a daemon. After turning to a daemon you can use the demonic weapons without any penalties. But it is harder for you to use human weapons.

Oooops, looks like we have created a new game [;
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 01:45 »

I smell a roguelike!
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:33 »

You forgot stuff like Dark Claw and Unmaker (from the Doom bible). Would be pretty cool too (^^,)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Melon

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Colonel
  • Men are from Mars, Women are from Snickers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 05:14 »

"Dark claw"
A very powerful demonic weapon that comes at a great price. Dark claw is actually an alive artifact that bind with the wielder, be it daemon or human. If player has an empty weapon slot on pick-up, dark claw will immediately bind to that slot (the free hand). Unbinding reduces maximum health of the player by 10. If you are a daemon, you can unbind (get rid of) the dark claw without the damage penalty.

It deals the same amount of damage as chainsaw. Dark claw regenarates the players health with the formula: (damage_dealth)/(3 + 2*is_human). Can be modded like a regular weapon.

Great drawback is, that if you are a human player, and you attacked someone, you fight until your enemy is dead. This means no other actions as attack -> no inventory switching, using med-kits, phase devices and so on
Ludzie, którzy piją, są dla mnie niczym...

... niczym bracia!

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 05:59 »

Here's the actual weapons section from the Doom Bible:

Dark Claw (black). Demon weapon that casts a dark cloud of tortured essence.
Silent but deadly.

Unmaker (white). Demon-tech weapon that hurts pure demons a lot, demon-humans very little, tech demons some. Made of demon bones.

Ammo: Killed humans. The Darkclaw and Unmaker feed on human souls. Killing
possessed humans or hellslaves allows the weapons to feed. 

Basically the Dark Claw could be either interpreted as a rocket launcher-esque weapon that creates an explosion of evil energy, or alternatively it can create a "cloud" effect which causes damage to everything within it for a certain amount of time.

The Unmaker was in Doom 64 as a 'roided out laser gun that got more powerful as you collected the special keys.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:42 by Frankosity »

Almafeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04 »

New master trait:

Possesed
You've been fighting the demons so long, you think you know how they work.  You can use demonic weapons without having to pay 5 Max HP per use.

Requires:  Berzerker, Intuition

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:36 »

New master trait:

Possesed
You've been fighting the demons so long, you think you know how they work.  You can use demonic weapons without having to pay 5 Max HP per use.

Requires:  Berzerker, Intuition

Actually, that's an idea. Instead of the most likely complicated concept of using souls as ammo (how would it be implemented? would you need 'souls' as an ammo type in your inventory?), demonic weapons could be the offensive equivalent of the Necro-armour, regenerating ammo at the cost of health. Using them would be a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of using a powerful weapon that causes you damage.

I'm not sure if a trait would be a great idea, however- unless they're common weapons you'd have no guarantee that the trait would ever become useful, and if they're powerful enough to warrant a health drain removing that drain would probably make them incredibly overpowered.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:14 by Frankosity »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 15:59 »

I'm not sure if a trait would be a great idea, however- unless they're common weapons you'd have no guarantee that the trait would ever become useful, and if they're powerful enough to warrant a health drain removing that drain would probably make them incredibly overpowered.
Time to introduce Grand Master Traits?  =P
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]