Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 05:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL development progress?  (Read 5220 times)

Cheesybox

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
DoomRL development progress?
« on: November 24, 2010, 14:06 »

No, I'm not being one of the whiny "whens the next DoomRL version coming out?" I know Diablo and Aliens were getting most of the attention for a while but since there hasn't been any Phobos Times articles since June (is that even being written anymore?) I was curious if anyone knew how DoomRL is coming along.
0.9.9.7: Cyberdemon Colonel
[26/20/18/4/1/0] [25M/62S/40A]

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: DoomRL development progress?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 14:32 »

For Phobos Times please prod Tavana! (actually give him some encouragement folks!)

As for DoomRL the current situation is simple:
1) cleanup of the codebase, and the modding API
2) graphical tiles

Except that, only minor features are planned. All the big things are planned for DoomRL 2 of which development has (slowly) started. No idea of an estimate of a expected release date though...
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Game Hunter

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Lieutenant General
  • Looks like game to me.
    • View Profile
    • Channel, the Roguelike
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 15:32 »

For Phobos Times please prod Tavana! (actually give him some encouragement folks!)
Whoops, I forgot to put stuff here.

I'd imagine the DiabloRL update is enough for a new one. If Tavana is looking for ideas on things to add:

- Mortem of the month, handpicked by Kornel, or Blade/Dervis if they're still around somewhere. You could also have such mortems permanently unlocked for immortality. (I'd probably go with Fanta Hege's Strongman Plat for this one, even though it was last month.)
- Some screenshots from the Screenshot thread would fill out the whole news post with some shinies. People love the screenshots (will be better with graphics, but regular players will understand 'em just fine).
- I suppose having some kind of strategy/tactic section would be cool, but that's a bit of extra work. I wouldn't mind contributing in that regard, and you're free to edit anything I'd submit (being the wordy bastard that I am).

When you posted the Badge Guide in the last one and I didn't update the thing for a couple months, I felt bad about that. With ANY luck it'll be done by the end of the year, or at the very least every badge. I'm currently considering some challenge/badge ranks for how easy or difficult they are individually.

As for DoomRL the current situation is simple:
1) cleanup of the codebase, and the modding API
2) graphical tiles

Except that, only minor features are planned. All the big things are planned for DoomRL 2 of which development has (slowly) started. No idea of an estimate of a expected release date though...
I'm most curious about how the graphical update is coming along. I remember seeing this post a while back, so: are the tiles complete enough to warrant implementation? If so, what kind of priority is the implementation getting? Bug fixes are probably more important (and I'm SURE there are going to be a bazillion bugs with the graphics if you aren't as meticulous as possible) but that was two years ago, so I guess I'm just wondering if the graphical addition is one of those huge projects that no one really feels like doing.

I have a friend in particular who really can't stand ASCII but would almost certainly play with the graphics. Unfortunately, it's the less important stuff (to us old-schoolers) that can stimulate a game's fanbase.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 15:44 by Game Hunter »
I'm just a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.

Latest LPs: Angband, Delver

Kg

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Celestial Horizon
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 22:46 »

Well I don't care if the 'big' things are gonna come in DoomRL 2, for me 'big thing' would be surely graphic version, so as long as we get this, we won't whine about getting next version released that often I guess. Derek's graphics are really good! (Kinda cartoonish, but in taste - givinig some more 'life' into game).
Hell Baron 2nd Lieutenant
[22|11|4|0|0]
Latest: Eagerness Bronze

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17 »

Personally I can't stand tile rogue-likes and hope the ascii will remain.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:38 »

Ascii will always be an option. The easiest way to copy screenshots to the forum is via ascii, so...
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Super_Bricklayer

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50 »

I there, first post for me.

I've just register to tell add a comment on that note. I really do wait for the tiles, i'm not used to play in ASCII, i discover roguelikes with stone soup, i'm highly addicted and i find Doom RL very nice too ( actually, this is the only RL in ASCII i find myself playing, you can add Diablo RL since yesterday on that list too ). But i have to say that i didn't play it so much compare to stone soup cause of that.

I don't know if there's a lot of user like me, but i'm definitely a gamer who enjoy those game.

Deathwind

• Colonel
  • HMP Angel of Patience 0.9.9.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 13:08 »

My first rouge-like was nethack (yeah, I know it's ancient) so ascii became my default, I honestly forgot stone soup crawl even came with tile as I only ever ran it in ascii.
v.997 [16/5/2/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 17:33 »

My first rouge-like was nethack (yeah, I know it's ancient) so ascii became my default, I honestly forgot stone soup crawl even came with tile as I only ever ran it in ascii.
Mine was rogue, and I was hooked because it was so... frill-less.  One double-handed sword and a quiver of arrows with a bow and off I go to hack and slash and get the Amulet of Yendor.

Ah... good times.

* thelaptop fires up rogue and plays it once more
I computed, therefore I was.
Pages: [1]