Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 10:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Balance- Plasma Weapon Damage  (Read 11121 times)

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Balance- Plasma Weapon Damage
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:18 »

You were right about me just giving a sarcastic answer about a slippery slope argument. You didnt need to address each of my bullet points - I agree with you, theyre all ridiculous! :)

The point you didnt comment on, however, was the entire point I was getting at (in a somewhat stupidly roundabout way, I guess) - the game doesnt need to be easier, and a little fear of death is a good thing.

I know that nobody likes the idea of something just popping up out of the blue and killing them, but Id argue that such things rarely happen in DoomRL. In fact, if youre constantly watching out for every potential death, you can avoid all of them in 99% of non-nightmare games. In nightmare games, its the level layout that kills you, not a monsters high plasma damage.
Between this post asking for weaker monsters, and another asking for a revised ammo-holding system, I feel afraid that Kornel will take it on board and make the game far too easy.

I know your standpoint - you dont want things that the player is completely un-warned about jumping out and ending an hour of gaming. I assume this was why some people might like the idea of removing the dice rolls from the game. The fact is, though, that if the player can predict everything that happens, a lot of the intensity of a roguelike such as this is removed. Just look at angel of max carnage - I can categorically state that I find angel of max carnage far, far easier than a normal game, and far more boring too - its too predictable!
Without the danger of chance you just end up unconcerned about anything the game will throw at you, because if you exhibit generally decent play youll make it through the game, and nothing unexpected is gonna come rattle your cage. Plus, balancing chance is a large part of the strategy of this game.
With a random element, you start to fear, and it encourages players to be both cautious and creative in their playstyle.

Id like to add that, of course, a little chance *can* go too far. If theres something unavoidable that can come without warning and end a game, then yes, thats too far. The monsters mentioned in this thread, however, never do that. Even in angel of max carnage, a former commando will not kill a well-equipped player in 1 turn, unless you define turn as 25 turns (2.5 ingame seconds) rolled up together while I reloaded my BFG/doubleshotgun while standing in grope range of a commando, in which case the mistake isnt that of Kornels, its the players.
Furthermore, itd be ok even if he did have a chance of killing you - theres plenty of warning before you encounter such danger; former humans can be heard way before theyre seen, then can be led around, with giftdropping, into situations where the player can gaurantee not taking any damage at all from them (like you mentioned about hellknights)... Arachnotrons do less damage than former commandos, and make an incredibly distinctive sound both when moving and when you injure them.
Both the above enemies are incapable of killing a well-equipped marine in a single turn, and both are easy to avoid and tackle without taking damage. The only situation in which the danger really ramps up is in arachnotron caves, and even then, the player gets 4 free turns to put on his best armour, equip a rocket launcher, blast a spider or two out of sight range, then enter running mode. Smart player don their armour and rocket launcher before walking down the stairs. (on that note, the missile launcher already makes spider cave levels a lot easier)

Bottom line, in my opinion, neither of these enemies is anywhere near the realm of overpowered, both are merely dangerous, and that shouldnt be taken away. Of course, all our mileages may vary. :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 16:49 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:37 »

Sylph. You have access to the beta. Go play the damn thing already. Exotics make the game a little easier, but you still have to work for your uniques, which can't be destroyed now, but you still have to take careful actions to make sure You aren't destroyed in the process of grabbing it.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00 »

I'm at work, hence the posting. Don't worry, when I'm at home I'll not be wasting time typing out posts, and I'll get down to playing. :)

I am playing the beta exclusively these days. There was a very veiled reference to the beta in my last post actually (bit about arachnotron caves), but it was very subtle, so only beta members would pick up on it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:25 by Sylph »
Badges:

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:10 »

Ah yes. I c wat u did thar.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 19:41 »

Attention masses!

Arachnotron caves are total bullshit and better recieve a nerf or I'll start writing VERY stern letters to Mr. Kisielewicz.
Former commandos are slightly bullshit, and require a certain amount of vigilance.
Pinky demons are still way too little of a threat and are generally bullied and threatened by more effective demons (even lost souls) in an ill-concieved attempt to get their (non-existant) lunch money.

Every other enemy/level type is finely balanced, even on Nightmare!.

That is all.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 20:46 »

Attention masses!

Arachnotron caves are total bullshit and better recieve a nerf or I'll start writing VERY stern letters to Mr. Kisielewicz.
Former commandos are slightly bullshit, and require a certain amount of vigilance.
Pinky demons are still way too little of a threat and are generally bullied and threatened by more effective demons (even lost souls) in an ill-concieved attempt to get their (non-existant) lunch money.

Every other enemy/level type is finely balanced, even on Nightmare!.

That is all.
QFT.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 01:10 »

Even in angel of max carnage, a former commando will not kill a well-equipped player in 1 turn, unless you define turn as 25 turns (2.5 ingame seconds) rolled up together while I reloaded my BFG/doubleshotgun while standing in grope range of a commando(...)
You are very, very wrong.

Psion

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 17:23 »

Well, pinkies weren't really all that much of threat in Doom either so at least it's accurate.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 23:56 »

doomrl: epyon * r779 /trunk/bin/ (lua/beings.lua lua/items.lua version.txt): * Balance : arachs and commandos 1 less accuracy, arachs 1 less shot
doomrl: epyon * r780 /trunk/bin/ (lua/beings.lua version.txt): * balance : demons upgraded
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 00:39 »

Ooooooooooo!  This sounds like fun!
I computed, therefore I was.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48 »

Well, pinkies weren't really all that much of threat in Doom either so at least it's accurate.
True... Until you tried them on Nightmare/fast monsters
i dont even know anymore

Ruldra

• Corporal
  • Shottyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 09:23 »

Is something going to be done about revenants? Someone suggested that their missiles should behave like a homing lost soul instead of a rocket with 100% accuracy. I like this idea.

Even in angel of max carnage, a former commando will not kill a well-equipped player in 1 turn, unless you define turn as 25 turns (2.5 ingame seconds) rolled up together while I reloaded my BFG/doubleshotgun while standing in grope range of a commando, in which case the mistake isnt that of Kornels, its the players.

Yesterday I got killed by a commando in an AoMC game with 100% health and intact blue armor. I took one step forward, and because my move speed was slightly above 1,00 second a commando from beyond my LOS could shoot me 2 times. Game Over.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:26 by Ruldra »
Hell Baron Br. General
[19|19|13|5|1]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 10:46 »

6*6*2=52. Instakill. But in any other case plasma won't kill you. Arachno's are pretty fast, that's why they're deadly, but not because of damage. Maybe lowering their speed, or a heat-up turn, where they couldn't shoot - it could be. But lowering the plasma damage is a bad idea. It will make corner-shooting useless in late game. There you should avoid any plasma user and/or try to dodge his missles. If they're weakened then you could kill them without serious damage.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 07:40 »

Yesterday I got killed by a commando in an AoMC game with 100% health and intact blue armor. I took one step forward, and because my move speed was slightly above 1,00 second a commando from beyond my LOS could shoot me 2 times. Game Over.
So he killed you in two turns... That's the nature of angel of max carnage, and the reason ironman or toughasnails are a good idea while playing that game mode. If you're not taking ironman, not taking toughasnails, playing angel of max carnage, and on top of all that moving slowly, you're putting yourself in serious danger.
On that note, since agility mods on weapons are pointless in AoMC, it'd be a good idea to stick them on boots to avoid this.
Badges:
Pages: 1 [2]  All