Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 02:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Armour - How does it work?  (Read 4563 times)

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Armour - How does it work?
« on: June 20, 2006, 11:40 »

Playing DRL today, And I got a suit of red armour.

Leveled up, Looked at "Tough as Nails" and thought "Now how does DRL handle armour?"

My current guess is straight damage reduction (damage = damage roll - (armourlevel + Tough as Nails) ), But can anyone else offer a bit more insight?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 07:28 »

Your guess is correct :-)
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 08:58 »

Hole in one!

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:14 »

Now, here's my armor-related question:

Assume I have fully repaired Red Armor and maxed out Tough As Nails, for a total of 7 Armor.

If an enemy were, by some freak chance of luck, do 7 or less damage to me, would the character take 1 HP of damage (some D&D DMs I play with always force 1 HP with a successful hit), or would he get away without losing health?
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:41 »

It is a pity that DRL does not come with a wizard mode, Then we could set up all kinds of crazy things...

It strikes me as somewhat odd though that green armour which is supposed to be standard issue protection gear would only protect one sixth of a pistol shot, If the future government cares about its soldiers then it seems kind of weak...

sn0rb

• Sergeant
  • Blue. Ninja. Needs. Wii. Badly.
    • View Profile
    • Random Ranting
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:57 »

Hey, look what happened to the rest of the assault team in the intro. Something more or less instagibbed them, and they (presumedly) had better weapons/armor than you, the Doomguy. =p

And I just noticed I got promoted to Former Sergeant. ^_^
Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and science and do it anyway!

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 01:07 »

You have to understand that even though you are only the communications guy and have far less actual combat experience than your teammates, for some reason normal world physics don't seem to apply to you. In fact, you don't even seem to be in control of your own actions. Instead, it feels like you are in a game, with crappy graphics but awesome gameplay, and someone is controlling you. I just hope that person knows what he/she is doing, for your sake.

on topic: Nice guess Anticheese! Did you test it? Cause i have, and everything pointed to that formula. But since some variables always remain unknown, i could never be sure.

One of the interesting things about how armor works is how it affects the damage that you can do against the CD for example. It explains why even overcharged plasma rifles seem to have hardly any effect on him, while one rocket at least damages him a bit.

It also explains why Arachnotrons look like the worst enemy at first glance, but you will come to fear the Cacodemon the most in time

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 11:47 »

Quoting: Turgor

on topic: Nice guess Anticheese! Did you test it? Cause i have, and everything pointed to that formula. But since some variables always remain unknown, i could never be sure.

I noticed that Tough as Nails adds one "Armour Level" and Green Armour had 1 "Armour Level", Then I looked at how little damage I took and made an educated guess. Thanks for the kudos.

Perhaps in time we will be able to guess the hitpoint values of the denizens of hell, But that I think will be very tough - At best our results will be about 18% accurate (When using the pistol)
Pages: [1]