Chaosforge Forum

• April 27, 2024, 20:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Late game shotgun boost  (Read 5244 times)

Cobalt

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Late game shotgun boost
« on: January 08, 2010, 22:24 »

Let me start by dividing the weapons of DoomRL into categories:
Rapids: chaingun, plasmar rifle, and Beretta.
Shotguns: shotgun, combat shotgun, double shotgun, shotgun uniques
Pistols: pistol and pistol uniques
Melee: chainsaw, knife, Cleaver, LS

Each have associated master traits and trait progressions. 
Rapids get MAc, elevating them into the most powerful category even though the master trait heavily restricts access to defensive traits.  The trait progression means the weapon category is rather strong from the Arena onward, although suffers from ammo inefficiency.  At MAc, you get incredibly high DPS for no inventory cost in ammo.  The rapids get stronger as you gain levels, to the point where they shred endgame enemies.  They get plasma damage for free in the upgrade to plasma rifles.
Pistols lack the strength of rapids, suffering from damage issues and clip size problems.  They are generally only used for challenge runs (AoMr or just pistol runs in standard games).  They only get access to plasma though uniques.
Melee weapons have two great master traits in Vampyre and Blademaster, both of which are quite viable.  Until Chained Court melee is very hard to play exclusively, but after aquiring the chainsaw, Brute 2 and Berserker melee becomes very powerful, supplying either huge amounts of health (Vampyre) or incredible speed (Blademaster).  Either one grants huge armor boosts through berserking.  They get plasma damage for free when they upgrade to the LS (something any melee build will almost certainly do).
Shotguns, on the other hand, while dominant in the early game, quickly lose power when faced with armored enemies.  Shotgun users must build for the Army of the Dead trait if they want plasma damage, instead of getting it for free through a logical weapon upgrade.  As a result shotguns aren't nearly as viable for solo-weapon-type runs.  There are good shotgun uniques but none with plasma damage.  A shotgun build must either sacrifice plasma (losing a lot of damage in late-game) or extra traits (Army of the Dead blocks Fin, HR, and EE).  Either way they have a crippling late-game tradeoff the other mainline weapon categories don't really face.

Note: by getting plasma "for free" I mean that the plasma damage is an attribute of a weapon that is already desirable due to higher damage dice.  For example, LS does 8d8 over 4d6 for chainsaw, PLUS plasma.

So now it becomes an issue of game vision.  If the shotgun was always intended to have a supporting role, all is well.  But if it was intended to be a main weapon, capable of taking the game on its own as the rapids and melees are, then shotguns should probably get a superior master trait and an alternate source of plasma damage.  My own preference is a plasma damage weapon mod and a maser trait that causes shotguns to reload in 0 time, but I welcome suggestions.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Late game shotgun boost
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:14 »

Shotgun uniques HAVE plasma damage, plasma shotgun, the most rare of them.
Pistols don't have it. Even the mighty Blaster (which I thought is from SW, not from the Q2) don't have it.
LS too, if I'm correct. But it doesn't need it.(And you forgot DS in the list of weapons)
But anyway, it's a good idea to swap TaN in requirements and HR in blocked traits, doing

Army of the Dead.
Requres: DM1, SM1;
Blocks: TaN,Bru,EE;
(And this will make destroyed the 2 master trait bug).

Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Drone

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:03 »

perhaps make army of the dead also add +1 to to the max damage of each shotgun pellet? So that 8d3 for the normal shotgun becomes 8d4, and so on.

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:12 »

Ummm.... Negative? Shotguns are fine. Very fine. They need not a boost.
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:13 »

And they're very devastating to packed in groups. I don't see a need for a boost either.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 13:37 »

..I don't see any problem with shotguns.
They are allready the most verstile weapon of choice and keep their verstility as a main weapon with MAD easily.
They are pretty much the most balanced weapon of choice by now.

Only thing that might need fixing is how the hitscan works (which is probably fixed in 9.1 allready) and MAYBE few more uniques.
i dont even know anymore

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21 »

Cobalt: I suppose you should consider the different possible playing tactics in order to make better use of the weapons.  In my [limited] experience, shotguns can go very far, even in the late game, if one plays tactically.
I computed, therefore I was.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 02:48 »

But if it was intended to be a main weapon, capable of taking the game on its own as the rapids and melees are, then shotguns should probably get a superior master trait and an alternate source of plasma damage.
I beg to differ.
No uniques, pretty much unmodded shotguns. Shotguns are fine.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 03:13 »

And it's still great for non-tacktical  hack&slash style. But it's great on AoMC.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 20:40 »

Shotguns are fine.

MAD works wonders, especially with the Uniques. If you find a Jackhammer, the game is over. Knights die, Barons die. Rev's die. Viles die. Everything dies with MAD.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 20:46 »

Pain Elemental caves will probably demonstrate the power of MAD.  Even with MAC I had to take quite a beating before I could put down the Lost Souls and Pain Elementals.
I computed, therefore I was.

felttippen

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • hopes for shotgun compatible weapon packs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 03:14 »

i also like MAd , its very powerful when you start with tan tan bad
But i Would like the game to be winnable witjout Mad, currently on N!, youll get your ass handed to u if you dont pick MAD.
I even had som concepts, but when i heard of the exotics in next versions,
i actually thought that the game would get too easy.
Anyway, a second not necessarily master trait concerning shotguns would be
AWSUUUUUUUM!
[24|19|17|12|5|1]
Archvile  General

Ruldra

• Corporal
  • Shottyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25 »

Pain Elemental caves will probably demonstrate the power of MAD.

Double shotty + shottyman is already more than enough to manage pain elemental caves.
Hell Baron Br. General
[19|19|13|5|1]
Pages: [1]