Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tips  (Read 16231 times)

groteski

• Private
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 18:34 »

Use the double shotgun when you know there is a tough creature, like a baron, aroud the corner. First set tactics to coward, as I think it increases your speed and defence. Then go around the corner, blast the enemy and then immediately retreat to safety to reload. You should never reload a the 2xshotgun when there is an enemy in sight, as it often gets two free shots at you.

The Wall rarely seems very dangerous to me if I have proper ammo and weapons. After digging the wall away shoot a couple of additional rockets at the same direction (you'll know you've made a breach when you hear an ear-shattering screech of ten barons simultanauously), though aim a little up or down because the reward at the other end of the hall might get destroyed. Then switch to a shotgun and keep shooting. If a baron enters you POV step back and swich back to rocket laucher. This way seems pretty safe, thought may take a little extra ammo.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 18:46 »

So I've made us DoomRL Wiki. Feel free to add any info - be it about the weapons/enemies/etc. or strategic hints.

NOTE:
Current wiki host has 2 major problems - ads that interfere with default wiki skin (had to change to not-so-good-looking skin) and it tends to crash at times (usually for an hur or so). If anyone knows a FREE host that could support the wiki please tell me (must be free, have MSQL database and support php)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Tips
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 19:27 »

Quoting: Malek
So I've made us DoomRL Wiki. Feel free to add any info - be it about the weapons/enemies/etc. or strategic hints.
NOTE:
Current wiki host has 2 major problems - ads that interfere with default wiki skin (had to change to not-so-good-looking skin) and it tends to crash at times (usually for an hur or so). If anyone knows a FREE host that could support the wiki please tell me (must be free, have MSQL database and support php)

Impressive :-D. Ok, I may host it if you wish. The wiki will be faster than the forum I hope, cause it will be on a different server. You need just to help me set it up -- I'll give you admin rights on it too. As for the skin, I can make a DoomRL one :-].

As for the wiki idea -- it's nice. Although I still would like someone to take all content from it from time to time and form it into a plain manual.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 19:37 »

Great! How can I contact you to help you set the wiki up?
(Judging from name ... and e-mail ... you are probably from Poland. If so than you can catch me on Gadu-Gadu number 9565244. If I'm wrong or If I'm right and for some reason you can't/won't use GG than leave some other method of communication :D )

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2005, 23:22 »

I don't really like WIKIfacation, a manual would be preferred by me too, but if a wiki is all we get, i guess i can stick with it ^_^
Howdy.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 09:31 »

I think that Kornel will prefer having both wiki AND manual :P I've contacted him and wiki will get moved to a more stable server once he has time :)

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 22:03 »

YaY!! Good news
Howdy.

Turgor

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.stichtingcavia.nl
Tips
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 16:43 »

My tip:
Pull those levers in the first couple of levels. Sure, you may end up in the middle of a pool of acid, but that doesn't happen too often in my experience.
Make sure you push all the barrels clear from any weapons, ammo and powerups you might wish to pick up later (and offcourse from the lever you are pulling) in case the lever blows them all up.

reason for pulling levers is purely for xp: find the switch that makes baddies appear, pick baddies off, repeat. as long as you do this on the first levels, the enemies will drop much more ammo than you spend. and you get a couple of shots in before any enemy even starts to move:
former humans etc wait for about 6 turns (shooting with chaingun)
lost souls for about 3
imps and demons about 5

you can usually kill every spawned enemy before they even start moving!

edit: here's some pics

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2005, 05:50 »

Heh, I used that exact strategy, though I called it "playing slots".  In addition though, when you do find a lever spawner make sure you leave berserk paks, health globes, and junkery around for obvious reasons.
If you also lucky to find a lever that fills the level with water, note the spawn points are on the spots where there is no water(sometimes), and that's where you plan your assault.
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 01:40 »

Yes, enemy spawners are good, plenty of experiance really early }:)
Howdy.

Obscillesk

• Corporal
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 01:38 »

Tactics I'm not too sure on, perhaps we could get some light shed on them? :D

Generally though, I'm a hellrunner addict so I'm in coward the whole time, I avoid being in aggressive at all costs (unless I'm getting a berserk pack out of the deal) I've found eagle eye works well with cowardly and hellrunner and backing it up with son of a bitch makes any weapon a nice long range killer (chainguns can kill a demon in a single volley with maxed SOB)

JimmyJ

• Major
  • Integrated Circuit
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 02:46 »

Chain Guns can kill a demon with a single volley anyway....oops, when I read demon, I intepreted it as IMP, lol, how crazy is that 8-)
Howdy.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Tips
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 18:42 »

WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, GUYS! CHRISTMAS?? :-P

Go to the Wiki Website - doomwiki.chaosforge.org, REGISTER, and input these ideas from this thread!

The most active wiki-users will have their names/nicks in the credits section of the packaged DoomRL manual :-]
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Tips
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2005, 18:33 »

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
WELL WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, GUYS! CHRISTMAS?? :-P

Hah - hah ... loved that ..

Quoting: Kornel Kisielewicz
The most active wiki-users will have their names/nicks in the credits section of the packaged DoomRL manual :-]

Just remember I did most of the original weapons/items descriptions ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All