Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 10:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: No sound/music in .9.9 Linux version  (Read 8398 times)

Vita

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
No sound/music in .9.9 Linux version
« on: January 10, 2010, 14:33 »

I haven't seen a thread yet on there being no sound in the Linux version, which makes this game a lot more difficult. I'm running 9.10 Ubuntu, and I've tried all 3 terminal files that come with the linux version of DoomRL, but none of them have sound. The .mid files for the music don't have any sound when I play them with a music player, but the sound files do.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: No sound/music in .9.9 Linux version
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 15:43 »

Here are some things to try:

0. Ensure your sound system is working in the first place.
1. Install the missing libSDL mixer using apt-get.sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2
2. Install Timidity using apt-get.sudo apt-get install timidity timidity-interfaces-extra
3. Open up doomrl.ini and make sure that "Sound = TRUE" and "Music = TRUE" are inside.

Do let us know if this works.
I computed, therefore I was.

Vita

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 18:24 »

I'm getting no sound nor music.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 19:04 »

Even after installing the SDL mixer and Timidity and fixing the doomrl.ini file?

Which sound system are you using?  If I recall correctly, Ubuntu uses ALSA by default, and maybe you should check to see if the volume is turned up/not muted.  Also check that the PCM section is not muted and has a non-zero volume setting.

Also, did the game run fine (sans the sound/music) or did it crash unexpectedly/not load at all?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 19:07 by thelaptop »

Vita

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 19:20 »

Yeah, I installed the SDL mixer, Timidity, and fixed the ini file.
 I'm pretty sure I'm using ALSA, since I don't remember changing it, and using alsamixer effects my sound. The volume is at max and so is the PCM section, and I made sure to mute and then unmute both of them.
 For some reason, after I installed the SDL mixer and Timidity, the DoomRL I currently had would not start up - it would just flash for a second, then throw me back to the terminal, or if I ran it outside of a terminal then it would just close immediately. Redownloading and running from that seems to work, but still sans sounds/music despite checking the volume.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 17:48 »

That's not good.  I can't seem to replicate it on my Xubuntu 9.10 install.  I wonder if there is something else I'm missing.  Can you post the contents of log.txt somewhere for tracing?  Thanks.

Vita

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 19:16 »

http://pastebin.com/m1f4c9cd7 There you go. I just did a quick run where I let myself die on the first floor.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 20:43 »

Hmm.  According to the log, you toggled the music/sound when you started the game.  Could you post the log for the case where 1. doomrl.ini has "Sound = TRUE" and "Music = TRUE" and 2. you didn't toggle anything please?  If you toggle the sounds/music from OFF to ON mid-game, it doesn't really show up until the next level I think.  I'm going to try to get the Linux port maintainer involved -- he might have more ideas than me.

Agetian

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 22:23 »

I recall having lots of issues with Ubuntu (both 9.04 and 9.10) and games using SDL in general, I don't remember what exactly was the issue - it had something to do with the default configuration of pulseaudio under Ubuntu, I remember the remedy was to install the "libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio" package from the official Ubuntu repositories, it fixed the sound disappearing/hanging/missing in Rocks & Diamonds, OpenTTD, DosBox, and a variety of other applications and games where I had issues. Not sure if it's the same problem or a similar one, but it's worth a shot. For the record, I'm currently running an Ubuntu 9.10 system with the above-mentioned package installed, and I'm able to play DooMRL 0.9.9 with sound and music without a problem (but like I said, I have no idea if there was any problem in the first place because I haven't tried DoomRL without that package).

- Agetian
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 22:32 by Agetian »

Vita

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 13:33 »

Thank both of you so much for your help, Agetain's solution worked, sound and music is working perfectly now :)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 17:29 »

Hmmm... I think I should bookmark this for later reference.  Glad to know that it worked out fine for you.  Be sure to catch the next version of DoomRL... which is probably coming out soon!  (=

Agetian

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 22:50 »

Glad the solution worked! :) I think it might be worth mentioning it in the readme for the Linux version of DoomRL, it's actually a quite common problem with Ubuntu and SDL, but the solution is rather difficult to find for some reason...

- Agetian

Cyber Killer

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • cyberpunk
    • View Profile
    • CK's site
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 23:40 »

The problem is that generally the sound setup is screwed up in the last Ubuntu release. It's even worse in case of Kubuntu (which I'm using), where you get sound only in KDE apps and in apps where you can force them to use a specific output device ;-P. I'm really waiting for a new version.

Agetian

• Elder
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 00:04 »

Well, personally I don't count on a fix too much - it's been like that since at least 9.04, and possibly even 8.10 (I can't remember exactly, but I think the problems started back in the 8.10 days) - if it hasn't been fixed in the last two or three releases, I don't think I can get my hopes up about it getting fixed in 10.04. Then again, I'd welcome the fix, really. That's one of the very few issues I have with Ubuntu, and if it gets finally fixed in 10.04, it'd be wonderful. :)

- Agetian

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02 »

Simply installing timidity worked for me, although the midi samples sound very different which can get annoying at times (there's one song that likes to play an irritating high-pitched note for about 20 seconds straight). What would I need to have it play the midi music with the same samples, or is there a way to play it in mp3?

Also, I noticed that midi playback makes the game use up half of my (admittedly not robust) atom cpu cycles, whereas it wasn't using up much at all before I installed timidity.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 10:53 »

...I'm sorry that this won't add anything to the conversation, but Holy CRAP Linux confuses me.'

For all the Linux users sake, I hope this can get fixed eventually.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 17:46 »

So do I, but unfortunately, it's a mess that even we are powerless over.  Linux sound systems come in 3 main flavours: ALSA, OSS and PulseAudio.  It's just really hard to know which of the three flavours a program has been written to take advantage of.  So the only "fix" we have is just to make sure the operating system provides all the big sound systems and just hope for the best.

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:37 »

...I'm sorry that this won't add anything to the conversation, but Holy CRAP Linux confuses me.'

I read your last line as meaning "For all Linux users sake, I hope [Holy CRAP Linux confuses me] can get fixed eventually."
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 15:28 »

Well, I can't make heads or tails of all this Linux jargon
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 17:23 »

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:10 »

To further not add anything to this conversation: Pie is not simple.

Also, nice link.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.
Pages: 1 2 [All]