Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 18:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Extensions for the new player  (Read 19693 times)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Extensions for the new player
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 23:17 »

So MaiZure and I discussed this more over IRC and we have come up with some refinements on the original idea.

We begin the ranking of the player at Recruit and institute a new series of badges, tentatively known as Training Badges.  These Training Badges are designed to provide even more incentives to the new players as more achievable goals as compared to that of the Bronze Badges.  Like all the badge schemes, this one will have 19, and should involve things that are easily attainable by the new player (less tough than Bronze Badges).  Note that being at Recruit does not have any specific limitations -- all Challenge Modes and Difficulty Levels available at Private are still available at Recruit and successfully reaching Level 12 of a normal game (ITYTD and above difficulty) immediately promotes the player to Private.

The badges are tied in to a new difficulty level of Very Easy, tentatively named "Train Me Up, Sir".  In this difficulty level, we have the following properties:
  • Noted as T in the highscore table
  • Thrice the amount of ammunition spawned
  • Spawned monsters are fewer than in M (similar in number to those in E)
  • Monsters get a -1 penalty to hit
  • Only Former Humans, Former Sergeants, Imps, Demons, and Cacodemons can spawn in normal levels (just like in Episode 1 of Doom 1)
  • Cyberdemon is replaced with a single Baron of Hell
  • Levels that do not spawn in E do not spawn here either
  • Player gets half damage from acid and lava
  • Level 1's HP packs can't be picked up by monsters
  • Score is quartered
  • Small healing items heal 30HP instead of 10
  • Armour shards repair for 75% instead of 25%
  • Powerups last thrice as long
  • Experience gained from monsters is increased by 50%
This addition should provide the necessary hand-holding/"tutorial" period for the new player while at the same time not restricting the veteran player who wants to jump in and go badge collecting.

Original IRC log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 23:32 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 00:17 »

Thanks thelaptop,

The whole point here (as Malek and Gargulec sort of pointed out), is that most players probably can't win on HNTR. My own side story for that is when DoomRL was passed around my undergrad CS department back in 05/06, of about 50 people, 40 of them played for a week and couldnt manage ITYTD before quitting. About 5-10 beat Cybie and gave up after trying HNTR. I'm the only one who eventually got on the Forum. When I sent a few buddies the 0.9.9, they said it look great...except 4 of the 5 badge pages are pretty much irrelevent for them. Hence the point of trying to find a way to include those who simply can't figure out the tactics but still want to have fun with the Doom nostalgia!

The Training Badge idea is an extention of the lower badges and maybe it doesn't really a need difficulty level - Maybe it should just apply to ITYTD. Although Im not against limiting traits and whatnot, I really think that a partial win on ITYTD to 'unlock' all the stuff we're used to is not really much of a grind for anyone who has posted here in this thread. And I do believe it would be quite fun for those unfortunate 'new' players who spend all their time trying to get through that first difficulty level without success...I know you're out there, even if you aren't on the forum here! Besides...last time I checked, you have to YAAM ITYTD to even get enough levels to do a Master Trait! :P

Props to ZZ - I like that limiting level idea...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 00:19 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 04:08 »

Roguelikes are hard. WHO KNEW

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31 »

Roguelikes are hard. WHO KNEW
Yea, you got a good point there. And compared to other RL's difficulties, DoomRL is a pussy already.
And cmon people, the current version is 0.9.9, that means "alllllmost finished", so I don't see why you would disbalance the whole brick tower now with these features?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:32 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:09 »

I say ITYTD is already easy enough as well...

About that 50 man anecdote, the kind of person that plays a game for a week then quits because the game never said "You're great buddy, you sure bested me!" isn't the kind of person that plays roguelikes. It took me a good year to get my first H,NTR victory (on the versions that only had one difficulty, of course), and of the 3 or so roguelikes I play regularly, this is the only one I've beaten at all.

I guess I'm trying to say if they don't have fun losing to DoomRL, why would they have fun beating it?

Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17 »

At this rate I'd just say we should just make a tutorial vid or something and jam it in the download for new players to watch. =/
i dont even know anymore

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22 »

At this rate I'd just say we should just make a tutorial vid or something and jam it in the download for new players to watch. =/
Oooo!  In-built demo replay a-la the stuff in Doom!

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55 »

How about VR training, like in Metal Gear Solid?

You put the player in hand-created small scenarios, and task him with objectives (kill all monsters, reach the exit, survive X turns, etc) while also giving tips on tactics. It can range from basic advice for new players to super-hard mini challenges for advanced players.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59 »

How about VR training, like in Metal Gear Solid?
I like this -- it ties in nicely with the framework I put up with MaiZure from our little IRC chat.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22 »

Yeah maybe we can also institute some kind of 'save' system so if they die they can start again from the last point they saved at! And what's with this 'randomised levels' stuff, anyway? That just makes things too complicated for the player!

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 10:44 »

You know, I'm going to get sick of saying this, but why don't we hold off on this until DoomRL2?
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 13:48 »

The discussion can be flowing until the compromiss point is reached, no matter of time.
And actualy it's good now, because it could be in 0.9.9.1, which is 100$ closer.

Maybe change the behaviour of monsters, so if you're green and you're carying a big&loaded gun they run away, and Cybie don't chase you, the Rookie must be carying smth. bigger to scare those and so on.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 14:23 »

You know, I'm going to get sick of saying this, but why don't we hold off on this until DoomRL2?

Because there's not even a development schedule for the final version of DoomRL 1? It's like saying you can't count out 3DRealms until Duke Nukem Forever 2 bombs.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 00:35 »

...After reading this more carefully, I have decided that, while I'm glad MaiZure is stirring the pot, trying to find a way to get the newbs to play more, I do not like this idea. I cannot propose any alternatives, because I think the system we have now is fine.

...Also, I used "I" too much. Ah well.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Jarkko

• Sergeant
  • P4P GOAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 08:23 »

No grinding elements into DoomRL please. If you want to grind go play WoW or another MMORPG. If you want to grind in a roguelike play ADOM.

The only unlockable things should be difficulty settings and challenges. Things that make the game harder. Not things that make the game easier like uniques, and absolutely not (master) traits. Forcing the player to play suboptimal builds for the first 50 games, what fun.

Oh hey,  I just got an idea for an unlockable. A cheat/options menu where you can change player/monster hp, monster/item/powerup spawn rate and stuff like that. This would be an actually nice reward for playing but wouldn't affect normal gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:26 by Jarkko »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All