Chaosforge Forum

• April 23, 2024, 13:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Extensions for the new player  (Read 19682 times)

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Extensions for the new player
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15 »

A JC mode. You can by pressing 'C' key do anything to the level.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 10:29 »

That's silly. If a 'wizard' mode was allowed, then normal players might have a slim chance of finding out how to use the Dragonslayer!

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50 »

It was a joke. Actually, now I see two points - the Conservators, who love the current sysrem and somebody, who wants to change smth., but minor changes. I personally like my idea of restricting levels and like the Train me Up, Sir level.
Put a chainsaw in my coffin. If I go to Hell, I'll need to do some cleaning there.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 10:55 »

A wizard mode might work, but it should be more of a traditional wizard mode. i.e

Can only be done on HNTR or ITYTD
Game isn't recorded in any form (perhaps even no mortem) and doesn't increase any of the tallies on the player screen.
The only benefit is every time you die the game goes "Whoops, that was silly of you. Do you want to increase your current HP by 50? [Y/N]"

This'd give new players a chance to see lategame and allow them to keep track of every time they do something fatally wrong.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 12:01 »

Click this 120 times and you'll survive the nuke. I like the idea of FW without an inv. globe.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 13:59 »

A wizard mode might work, but it should be more of a traditional wizard mode. i.e

Can only be done on HNTR or ITYTD
Game isn't recorded in any form (perhaps even no mortem) and doesn't increase any of the tallies on the player screen.
The only benefit is every time you die the game goes "Whoops, that was silly of you. Do you want to increase your current HP by 50? [Y/N]"

This'd give new players a chance to see lategame and allow them to keep track of every time they do something fatally wrong.

Now a wizard mode, I can get behind. Come to think of it, it would also allow the everyone to experiment with their stratgies and see what works.

That's silly. If a 'wizard' mode was allowed, then normal players might have a slim chance of finding out how to use the Dragonslayer!

...You're always just going to be so vitrolic on this subject, aren't you? I guess people start to get pissy after a while, because no one will tell them how to pick up the DS.

NOTE: I say this, not becuase I'm being an elitist jerk (that's Thomas's job), but because it's true. I was starting to get mad, but I didn't say anything, and then I found the method, so...it does get annoying, espcially since it's so damn rare.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 14:10 by Madtrixr »
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

Frankosity

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 14:52 »

...You're always just going to be so vitrolic on this subject, aren't you? I guess people start to get pissy after a while, because no one will tell them how to pick up the DS.

NOTE: I say this, not becuase I'm being an elitist jerk (that's Thomas's job), but because it's true. I was starting to get mad, but I didn't say anything, and then I found the method, so...it does get annoying, espcially since it's so damn rare.

It's not so much the fact that it's a secret so much as that there's so much secret-handshake smuggery about it on this forum between the people who DO know how to pick it up.

It's practically irrelevant anyway considering it's as rare as a virgin in Essex, especially considering you have to have the right traits/name/phase of the moon/whatever esoteric anime bullshit when it DOES deign to spawn.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 16:12 »

It's not so much the fact that it's a secret so much as that there's so much secret-handshake smuggery about it on this forum between the people who DO know how to pick it up.

It's practically irrelevant anyway considering it's as rare as a virgin in Essex, especially considering you have to have the right traits/name/phase of the moon/whatever esoteric anime bullshit when it DOES deign to spawn.

...Yeah, okay. I'll admit, I had a phase where I was a smug bastard about it. I've cooled down since, although it still shows up sometimes.
<Malek_Deneith> What is a PC? A miserable little pile of XP. But enough plot - have at you!

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 16:12 »

Augh, what silly idea do we get now, a wizard mode? >.<
Wouldn't that potentionally spoil like all things you can discover as a n00b? o.O
For example, the first time I got to dlvl25 I was really excited and even a little scared (as I had no idea what was gonna happen). If there would be a wizard mode, new players are able to know what to expect without even trying. Also, think of reaching special levels and so on.
I really don't wanna be the stubborn negativist here, but no. Bad idea.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 16:14 by Mrazerty »
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 16:30 »

Augh, what silly idea do we get now, a wizard mode? >.<
Wouldn't that potentionally spoil like all things you can discover as a n00b? o.O
For example, the first time I got to dlvl25 I was really excited and even a little scared (as I had no idea what was gonna happen). If there would be a wizard mode, new players are able to know what to expect without even trying. Also, think of reaching special levels and so on.
I really don't wanna be the stubborn negativist here, but no. Bad idea.

Hmm...true, so maybe it can be an unlockable, like the challenge modes.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 16:48 »

Hmm...true, so maybe it can be an unlockable, like the challenge modes.
Ah. That is something I *do* agree with :)
Should be unlocked when getting a certain rank (such as, the one where the average player usually gets stuck at). Won't debalance the game in any way too! (^^,)
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 17:04 »

Ah. That is something I *do* agree with :)
Should be unlocked when getting a certain rank (such as, the one where the average player usually gets stuck at). Won't debalance the game in any way too! (^^,)

Yeah. it would need some tweaking to see where people usually get stuck at, but if it's not available from the start, then it's not a bad idea.

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

ZZ

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 08:31 »

And the legal AoPc win with 90%+ kills.

Agreed with the unblockable state, but it don't fit into the topic.

Madtrixr

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 19:45 »

And the legal AoPc win with 90%+ kills.

Agreed with the unblockable state, but it don't fit into the topic.

I don't know about it not fitting into the topic, but at any rate, The wizard mode is a good idea (IMO).

What say you K?

[B/S/G/P/D]
[19/8/5/0/0]

action52

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 21:09 »

Here's my idea: we could take a cue from another famous roguelike, Nethack, and have two different "neverending" modes: Explore Mode and Wizard Mode.

Features of Explore mode:

-Unlocked by dying on HMP or lower 10 times.
-When your health drops to 0% or lower, you are asked if you really want to die. If you say "n," your health is restored to 100%.
-Your score is not recorded in the rankings.
-Can be played in ITYTD or HNTR levels.
-No red stairs are generated.
-Items and enemies are generated as normal in levels 1-24.
-Level 25 has no Cyberdemon. Instead there is a weaker boss fight. Maybe an ArchVile and two Barons?
-You cannot do any challenges in explore mode.

Features of Wizard mode:
-Unlocked by defeating the game on HMP (maybe UV?) or better. In other words, you have to be good at the game but not UNGODLY good.
-When your health drops to 0% or lower, you are asked if you really want to die. If you say "n," your health is restored to 100% (same as Explore Mode).
-Your score is not recorded in the rankings (same as Explore Mode).
-Can be played at any difficulty level except Nightmare.
-Pressing "w" (or maybe a function key like F12 would be better) brings up the "wizard mode" menu. In that menu, you can give yourself any item, powerup, or trait. Including uniques. You can also warp to any level of the game, including special levels. You can also turn challenges on and off.
-Invincibility can be toggled on and off. Maybe by typing iddqd?
-You can create any enemy, in any quantity that you want.
-If you beat the Cyberdemon, it would be recorded but with a funny message like "1 soldier defeated the Cyberdemon using trickery."

So what do you think? Maybe it needs some tweaking on the details, but I think this would work very well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 21:10 by action52 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All