Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 00:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Berserk revised, or Gargulec's bit crazy idea for spicing AoB up  (Read 16775 times)

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

So, here are the basics:

Current Berserk effects are halved- so it gives you 3 armor instead of 6 etc. etc. Yes, a radical nerf...

BUT:

Berserk effects now stack- so, every time when you should enter berserk but you are zerking already, you do not only get additional time for crazy bloodshed, but also all bonuses from the state of battle madness are added to your current bonuses- so, after second berserk, the bonuses are like they were pre-nerf, after third it is 12 armor and 3x melee damage, after fourth 18 armor and 4x melee damage and so on.

Also, remember that Berserer trait is 'damage-based' so, after few berserks, you go on true spree.

BUT!

First: if you heal yourself, while berserking, by a means different then picking up another zerk-pack (or Vampyre!), berserk effects end. Like in BersekerRL
Furthermore: after third berserk effect on you, you begin to loose health when not in melee, at a rate of single HP per turn. After fourth effect, you loose health every turn you do not kill an enemy, at the above rate. After fifth, you loose health anyway. After sixth, seventh... the rate doubles.

Why did I find this system interesting?
-First: it would make AoB more berserkish. To engage difficult foes, you would need to be on a killing spree already.
-Second: it would it more satisfactory- who does not love insanely high damage bonuses?
-Third: it would make endgame AoB easier.
-Fourth: it would add another layer to AoB tactics- the need time the berserk properly, to kill everything you would want to kill, but not killing yourself in the process.

Faults of this system:
-I have no idea about how would it fare on N!
-It would make early AoB even harder
-It may be overcomplicated.

Opinions?

The New Berserk System For AoB v. 0.2

Berserk states:

The number is the count of separate berserk levels on player

1:Angered: +3 armour
2:Enraged: +6 armour, x2 melee damage, +4 melee accuracy, 0.8 movespeed, 0.8 attackspeed
3:Furious: +9 armour, x3 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.7 movespeed, 0.7 attackspeed, takes one damage per every turn in which is not in melee
4:Frenzied: +12 armour, x4 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.6 movespeed, 0.6 attackspeed, takes one damage per every turn in which no foe is slain
5:BERSERK!: all damage taken is reduced to 1, x5 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.5 movespeed, 0.5 attackspeed, takes one point of damage per half-second
10:Crazed!: Same as BERSERK, but you take 2 points of damage every half-second.
15:Insane!: Same as BERSERK, but you take 4 points of damage every half-second.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:32 by Gargulec »
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.

mikee

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Sounds very berserkerish... but I would probably find it frustrating to play.  It sounds like it would be easy to keep adding levels of berserk without wanting to, thus losing health.  And one thing I've always liked about AoB is that it's fairly binary: berserk good; everything else bad, basically. =P  Still, it is a very interesting idea.
Arch-Vile General (0.9.9.4)
[21/18/19/13/6]

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

Well, you can always empty you berserk by healing. Also, do bear in mind that berserk levles above two are near invincibility, so the damage you take for it appears to be a fair trade, does not it?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Well... if you are solo-ing small-ish cretins and accidentally berserk, you'd need to waste a med pack to unberserk yourself as you are walking from one end of the map to the next in search of things to kill.

Not sure if want...
I computed, therefore I was.

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

Soloing small thing cannot result in more than two zerks, in most of the cases. And those zerks you can just wait off.

Also, if it was not clear: negative (and positive) effect of stacked berserks only count as long as those berserks time of effect overlaps. So, if you've picked a zerk pack, and then, 50 turns later, zerked again, the double zerk bonus is in effect for 50 more turns, not next hundred.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 17:44 by Gargulec »

Cobalt

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

the damage increase means more chance of a berserk each hit, so you will get a high level of berserk quite fast. 
I like the idea of berserk stacking, but not this implementation.  Maybe something simpler, like a quarter of your melee damage done on berserk is added to your timer?

Fanta Hege

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Will it work? I HAVE NO IDEA
    • View Profile

First: if you heal yourself, while berserking, by a means different then picking up another zerk-pack (or Vampyre!), berserk effects end.

Archviles rejoice!

Intresting idea but.. I think this would make things even harder for meelee then they allready are. =/
i dont even know anymore

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

Ok, few more things:

Along with this option, there shuold be an otion to manually calm yourself up by pressing tab- this, however, leaves you tired.

Fatna: It would make it harder in a fun way- you cannot froget that despite the zerk damaging you at certain heights, it also gives insane offensive capabilities.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile

I agree with this idea as long as the new berserking effects only apply to AoB.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile

Agreed with Thomas.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk revised, or Gargulec's bit crazy idea for spicing AoB up
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 14:10 »

Loved it ! I'd happily see it not only in AoB.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 16:17 »

Berserk states:

The number is the count of separate berserk levels on player

I don't like the fact that once you hit BERSERK! it starts getting worse and worse, and due to your x5 melee damage, it's difficult to stop yourself from becoming even more berserked without tabbing out of it and going back to 0.

I'd suggest making level 5 not as beneficial, but reducing the penalties for going over level 5. (Changes underlined)
2:Enraged: +6 armour, x2 melee damage, +4 melee accuracy, 0.8 movespeed, 0.8 attackspeed
3:Furious: +9 armour, x3 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.7 movespeed, 0.7 attackspeed, takes one damage per every turn in which is not in melee
4:Frenzied: +12 armour, x4 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.6 movespeed, 0.6 attackspeed, takes one damage per every turn in which no foe is slain
5:BERSERK!: all damage taken is reduced to 1, x5 melee damage, autohit melee, 0.5 movespeed, 0.5 attackspeed, takes one point of damage per half-second
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:22 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Gargulec

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 16:28 »

Agreed with what you suggest, updating the first post.

Also: question of master traits. While Vampyre is perfect for such chain-zerk (though I would want it to be renamed 'Fueled By Slaughter'), Blademaster is has little use. So, since MBm represents the finesse approach, it can be tweaked to allow you to have bigger control over your anger. Manually zerking out by tab with MBm lowers your berserk state to angered, instead of dropping it completely.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:37 by Gargulec »

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 16:43 »

Wow. Thats one helluva system. Me likes!
since MBm represents the finesse approach, it can be tweaked to allow you to have bigger control over your anger. Manually zerking out by tab with MBm lowers your berserk state to angered, instead of dropping it completely.
Very cool. This hypothetical revision is looking better and better. And hey, if it never gets implemented, have someone mod it! :P

Fixed vote in light of new proposed zerking and MBm system :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:48 by UnderAPaleGreySky »
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

yns88

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 16:49 »

Why exactly are there penalties for going over level 5? It's just punishing you for killing too much, and I don't see the point there. The concept of moderation in bloodshed is very un-DOOM-like.

Also, I think reduced movement speed would frustrate me because when I'm berserked, I'm always running to the nearest enemies as quickly as possible. The way this is, the effect would just wear off by the time I actually find something to kill.

I haven't played on the harder difficulties, but I haven't seen any problems with the chainsaw's attack damage with Brute 2 and Berserk.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 16:51 by yns88 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All