Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: So I used three phases and couldn't get into the middle vault of the Vaults..  (Read 12195 times)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

..and now I'm wondering why there's not an easier way in. I have nice stuff this game, but I can always use another unique and I would have really liked to get the badge for this as well as the 100% kills badge.

Edit: Thinking about it, there are three things that would make this less of a problem in my eyes. 1. Give the silver badge on defeating the two side vaults. 2. Make a series of teleporters that place you directly in each of the vaults (a difficulty increase but one which takes the buggeriness of trusting to random phasing to get you there). 3. Change homing devices so that you can pick your destination instead of them always sending you to the stairs.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 23:25 by BDR »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

If you are playing the release version, the silver badge is bugged I think (based on the DoomRL Wiki).

Phase devices are highly unpredictable anyway.  The probability that you will end up in the centre vault is slightly less than 20% (very rough estimate), if you count the total possible number of spaces that you land.  Thus, the expected number of phase devices to reach the centre is roughly 5, on average.  Using only three and missing occurs more likely than one might be led to believe.
I computed, therefore I was.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

5 slots of inventory is quite a lot of space to be asked to dedicate for that purpose.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Yes it is.  That's why it is an achievement to complete the Vaults.  However, Phase Devices are very useful in normal fights anyway -- combine them with small medpacks and you can be pretty unkillable in the long run.  Oh, and fighting Cybie would be easier, since you could [usually] phase away to reload + heal before charging in once more to take him out, particularly if you have very bad dodging ability due to a lack of HR + DM.

danabnormal

• Private
  • busuk
    • View Profile

I'm a savescummer. I load my game about 10-15 times (with 2 phase devices in my inventory) until I get into the middle vault (on UV). I think the percentage of getting into the middle vault from 1 phase device is about 5% only. Does the RNG hate savescummer like me?

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile

I'd rather have the 5 slots dedicated to large medkits, mods I can use later, or a thermie than 5 phases. I'm not much for running from fights though.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

I'd rather have the 5 slots dedicated to large medkits, mods I can use later, or a thermie than 5 phases. I'm not much for running from fights though.
Try the City of Skulls on a higher difficulty level some time without using Shotguns.  You will understand why stocking up on Phase Devices can some times be more beneficial than having many medkits.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile

Try the City of Skulls on a higher difficulty level some time without using Shotguns.  You will understand why stocking up on Phase Devices can some times be more beneficial than having many medkits.
Not exactly true. A rocket launcher will clean up just fine. :P
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

Moniker

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

I have to agree that while clearing the Vaults should be a difficult Achievement (tm) notwithstanding, forcing the player to phase into one of them is a rather inelegant way of doing it. You have to spoil yourself to figure it out; it vaguely reminds me of the rogue quest in NetHack. Much better to have to just rocket your way in, or walk through lava to find a hidden door, or something. Not like it'll make it any easier.

My 2c.

leonresevil2

..and now I'm wondering why there's not an easier way in. I have nice stuff this game, but I can always use another unique and I would have really liked to get the badge for this as well as the 100% kills badge.

Edit: Thinking about it, there are three things that would make this less of a problem in my eyes. 1. Give the silver badge on defeating the two side vaults. 2. Make a series of teleporters that place you directly in each of the vaults (a difficulty increase but one which takes the buggeriness of trusting to random phasing to get you there). 3. Change homing devices so that you can pick your destination instead of them always sending you to the stairs.

I did have the thought of making homing devices targetable, you probably wouldn't be able to target walls or barrels (even outside of LOS maybe), and teleporting would probably eat up a few points of health to balance things out. Maybe give Homing phase devices the option; go to exit, or aim, with a drop in health. Phase devices can put you even closer to the enemies you are trying to evade, so they are mostly useless to me, aside from the Vault and the Wall (for specific challenges).

bfg9001

• Elder
  • First Sergeant
    • View Profile

I'm a savescummer. I load my game about 10-15 times (with 2 phase devices in my inventory) until I get into the middle vault (on UV). I think the percentage of getting into the middle vault from 1 phase device is about 5% only. Does the RNG hate savescummer like me?

Ooo... savescumming = no bueno.

EDIT: Although, I'd be lying to say that I haven't done it before, lol.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:03 by bfg9001 »

leonresevil2

Ooo... savescumming = no bueno.

EDIT: Although, I'd be lying to say that I haven't done it before, lol.

Does that actually work? I thought the game loaded the last save, then removed it from memory.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile

If we told you, you'd end up using it. :P
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Does that actually work? I thought the game loaded the last save, then removed it from memory.
You need to set up appropriate sacrifices to the BLOOD GOD and the RNG in order to have a small chance of it working.  (=

leonresevil2

I didn't plan on using it (I find cheating, save-hacking, and save-farming like that to be a sign of weak player skill), I just thought an exploit like that could've/would've/should've been fixed. lol.
Pages: [1] 2  All