Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: DoomRL no longer works on my comp...  (Read 3385 times)

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
DoomRL no longer works on my comp...
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:29 »

I have no idea what caused it, but for some reason the game no longer works on my Vista. I have a number of copies of both the 0.9.8.1 version and 0.9.9. version kicking around on my computer in various places and, parts of most of them, incredible as it might sound, have simply vanished. Only one of my copies of 0.9.8.1 still has all its files and its exe simply will not run.

As for the others, in every single one the exe has vanished. In one copy of 0.9.9, only the exe has vanished, while in another, the exe, the batch file, .dll, .dat and .ini files have all vanished.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it either. The 0.9.9 that has only seen its exe vanish is the 0.9.9 version I did most of my 0.9.9 games on, while a completely fresh and untouched copy of 0.9.8.1 that I only used for the graphical settings on has also seen only its exe vanish, while a second version of 0.9.9. I did play a few games on is the one that's had all the stuff I described in the previous paragraph disappear.

I tried downloading and unpacking a fresh copy of 0.9.9, but its exe wouldn't run either. Aditionally, unpacking my old copy also gave me a complete copy (but still with non-functional exe), but then the exe disappeared from that copy as well...

I have to wonder, what the chuffing Hell is going on?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL no longer works on my comp...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07 »

You got hit with a virus of some sort?
I computed, therefore I was.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:35 »

You got hit with a virus of some sort?

Yeah, except that nothing else seems to be broken...

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 15:47 »

Hmm... that's interesting.  Did you install DoomRL to your Program Files directory or is it somewhere else?  My suspicion is that if things "are not broken at all" for the rest, then maybe the Vista elevated privileges tool is doing a good job.

You might want to look into de-infesting your machine though.  >.<
I computed, therefore I was.

Captain Trek

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 22:57 »

Hmm... that's interesting.  Did you install DoomRL to your Program Files directory or is it somewhere else?  My suspicion is that if things "are not broken at all" for the rest, then maybe the Vista elevated privileges tool is doing a good job.

You might want to look into de-infesting your machine though.  >.<

None of my copies of DRL were (past tense as I've now deleted every instance of the programe I could find) installed in program files...

*Sigh* Is a virus that selectively targets DoomRL really the only explaination?

Angle of Death

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 07:21 »

I've had programs uninstall themselves with no virus before. (Once, Combat Flight Simulator 3 uninstalled while I was playing it. I was quite confused.) So a virus isn't the only possibility.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00 »

I've had programs uninstall themselves with no virus before. (Once, Combat Flight Simulator 3 uninstalled while I was playing it. I was quite confused.) So a virus isn't the only possibility.
Are you sure of that? That sounds very unlogic to me.. if your computer didn't have a virus, heck, then it must've been possessed by the devil or so :D

@Trek: Does DoomRL work in safe mode?
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 20:18 »

Maybe some kind of "useful" anti-virus software detected DoomRL as a dangerous application?
I have Vista SP2 now and I have had no problems for a year or so (except for hardware ones, but thats hardware fault, not soft).
Pages: [1]