Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 01:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Forlorn Hope - PBF  (Read 62380 times)

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
Forlorn Hope - PBF
« on: January 29, 2010, 16:35 »

Home, Sweet Sewer

14 October 2195

Welcome to Section 218.

It is perhaps an ominous-sounding name, but the thing behind it is rather humble. In the hidden war against the World Economic Consortium, the Resistance can ill afford to maintain large, open bases to house and train its troops, as such would soon have a batallion of WEC stormtroopers kicking down their door. Instead, the Resistance chooses to spread its forces around in small bands, set up bases in disused subways, abandoned tunnels, forgotten bunkers... underground and away from prying eyes. From there, they wage their guerilla campaign on the Consortium.

Section 218 is simply another such unit, newly established and taking up residence in a hub of a disused tunnel system of an undisclosed major city. The place is still shaping up. The troop quarters have been established, of course, as has a teleport pad linked into the world network, and with it a station to keep the thing hidden from the WEC "gadget brigade". People are still flowing in, new faces around the whole time, soldiers, officers, technicians, construction workers...

You number among the soldiers in that list. Whether you're a WEC deserter or a Resistance idealist through and through, Section 218 is your new home, and you'll have to mix with both sorts. The quarters are... minimal, to say the least. A simple cot to sleep in, a footlocker in which to keep what few possessions you could bring with you... a door, if you're lucky.

You've only recently arrived, but the base commander seems keen to get everyone working as soon as possible, and has requested you report to his office. You still have time to familiarise yourself with the base layout, if you so choose, but it would probably be better not to put off seeing the CO too much.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Forlorn Hope - PBF
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 20:30 »

'Damn COs... always wanting to be so serious about things,' Roshal thought to himself as he laced up his boots.  'WEC, rebels -- they're all the same everywhere.  At least he's not as snobby as the WEC MilOps hard noses, I suppose.  The lack of money does change people's perspectives I suppose.'

'Might as well take a quick look around the base -- who knows what I might find?  It's not like the CO is going to be running away soon...'
I computed, therefore I was.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 15:43 »

The base wasn't really much to look at, being in the final stages of construction as it was. The main point of the base was an intersection of two wide tunnels, with the base cantina located on one corner, the commander's office opposite to it. The other corners were taken up by the barracks and the various utilities - communication rooms, teleporter monitoring, workshops, a field hospital, and so on. The quartermaster's office and the armoury was located next to the CO's office, as was the teleporter station, complete with guard picket. The cantina, on the other hand, was flanked by recreation areas - a gym, mess hall, library, multimedia room, showers...

It was hard to point out any one centre of activity right now. The whole base was practically buzzing like a hive, with work crews putting on the finishing touches on the construction, technicians hooking up all the various equipment around the base, and of course the soldiers themselves, heading to sign in with the quartermaster, to settle down in their quarters, to kick back a bit before a mission, or just heading out on one in full kit.
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 17:52 »

'Heh,' Roshal thought to himself as he made his way to the CO's office, 'place is as big a dump as I would believe.  Better than machining parts everyday.'

Along the tunnel, Roshal adjusted his clothes -- it was never nice to meet the Commanding Officer without having that polished look about.

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19 »

"Hey, watch yer steps, alright ?", somebody sneered when Roshal bumped into him, focused on adjusting his uniform. "Eager for action like that, huh ? I see where are ya headin'.", the Mad, for it was him, smiled darkly, looking at the former MilOps trooper.
"I bet I've seen ya someplace..."

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 19:43 »

"Mad?  Matt 'Mad' DeReeve?  Well I'll be damned... to see you in a place like this.  Big bounty, and you sure as hell caused me many a night of lack of sleep trying to look for you.  Heh, if not for the fact that I'm no longer in MilOps, I'd gladly swing you 'round and take you back for some nice cash," Roshal said with a smirk on his face.

"Well I suppose we're in the same boat out here; past is gone.  Seeing the CO too?"

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 14:38 »

Before the two of you could really get better acquainted, a sergeant just coming out of the CO's office caught sight of you and waved you in. "Hey, you two, quit flapping your jaws and get in. Major wants to see you."

The commander's office was rather unremarkable, being in the same half-finished state as pretty much the rest of the base. It was generally pretty small and cramped, with a simple computer terminal by one wall, a few file cabinets next to it, and a larger desk in the middle of the room, currently with paperwork of various sorts strewn about. Aside from the two of you, there were also two other people present. One, a lean, older man with close-cropped greying brown hair, dressed in tactical uniform and with captain's bars on his shoulder, was standing to the side of the desk, leaning over it. The other person, seated behind the desk, was a woman perhaps coming up on 30, with major's distinctions pinned to her field uniform and steel-blonde hair tied into a short braid. Both of them looked up when you came in.

"Ah, wonderful, more bright-eyed new recruits... introductions first are in order, I suppose? I'm major Amanda Covenant, in charge of this base. This is my second in command, captain James Bishop," the woman said, giving first a polite nod in greeting, then indicating the man by her side. "You would be..." she began, sorting through the paperwork, "privates Roshal and DeReeve? Excellent. Before we begin, let me just express Central's gratitude for your financial contribution to the cause, mister DeReeve. It has helped us set this base up with exceptional speed. Of course you understand this gratitude cannot take the form of preferential treatment when it comes to missions. We all have to do our part. Now, captain Bishop will clue you gentlemen in as to your first task."

"Hrm, right," the captain began, clearing his throat. "Base construction is proceeding apace, but there's a small obstacle that's getting in the way of us bringing in the serious equipment and supplies, allowing for major traffic and generally just being a pain in the arse. Consortium sniffers have a station not far from here. Granted, a sniffer's a problem whether he's next door or clear across the globe, but being the lazy sods they are, they tend to take a far keener interest in their own backyard. Your objective will be to take the site offline permanently. We're not expecting you to try assaulting the station head-on, of course. We'll be dropping you into their basement with a few BlastPacks, your DataLinks will be provided with placement instructions. Security should be pretty lax down there, so it should be a good shakedown run for you. Once the charges are in place and armed, we'll provide you with extraction coordinates. If there are no further questions, report to the quartermaster for your gear..."

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 02:36 »

"Sir, no more questions, sir.", answered Mad with a false, bitter smile, saluting. "We are on our way."

When both privates were outside the CO's office, DeReeve spoke, lighting a cigarette :
"They don't differ much from your former employers, do they ? Ya know, that >>you helped us, thanks, but we're gonna make you a meatshield anyway.<< attitude..."
After a while, he changed the topic of the conversation, suddenly interrupted before.
"I told ya you look somehow familiar. I bet I've seen ya on some festival. You can't really forget people shooting your fans, y'know. But yeah, it's the past. What's your name ?", he explained and asked with a grim, grim smile, handing him an another cigarette.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 03:35 »

'I can't believe they'd rank me as a Private once more... stupid rebels.  I was Corporal back in MilOps and now I'm downgraded.  Godamnit,' thought Roshal to himself as he listened to Mad half-attentively.  Rank wasn't that important, he knew, but that was all there was which distinguished him from the other rankless people.  Roshal sighed softly to himself.

"Roshal Lambert," Roshal replied gruffly to Mad as he declined the cigarette.

"I've no intention of being a meatshield.  Let's just try to stay alive.  I think the Quartermaster's just 'round to the side."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:36 by thelaptop »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 15:12 »

"Same here. The cause is just, but alive we're going to do more good than by noble sacrifice. Yeah, right, >>suicide<< would fit better around there.", responded Mad, shaking his head and exhaling the smoke.

"Let us keep movin', then."

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 15:44 »

The quartermaster's office was indeed right nearby. However, just past the door you were greeted with a rather sorry sight - lots and lots of bare shelves. The quartermaster himself was sitting up front, a muscular dark-skinned man with close-cropped hair, a finely kept moustache and, to top the lot off, an eyepatch over his left eye. His uniform had the stripes of a sergeant over the shoulder.

"More fresh meat, aye?" the man spoke up with a sigh. "Lucky you. Next bunch that comes by will probably be gettin' sent out wi' pointed sticks," he added, standing up. From one of the few boxes left standing around, he fetched two suits of ballistic body armour, along with helmets and DataLinks. A few moments later a pair of BA-41's clattered onto the counter, along with a box of ten magazines. "You put this stuff to good use, aye? We're gonna be in a right mess if we can't start getting proper supplies in soon... Try them on, make sure the 'Links work."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 19:40 by Xander Morhaime »

Silhar

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Brigadier General
  • Get psyched!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 14:53 »

Mad checked if his DataLink has been in a working condition, then strapped the uniform on, picked three magazines, sparing the rest of the ammunition to his comrade.
"Oh frag. Is it that bad ? Therefore... Sarge, we demand some BlastPacks if we are to accomplish our task succesfully.", he pointed out, checking his equipment and noticing no explosives. "Else, you know, we'll be fighting with damned pointy sticks for next few weeks until the whole complex is razed. And without some guns'n'ammo, it's gonna be unavoidable. Got somethin' ?"

Natiliana

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 00:13 »

A female voice sounds out behind the group, "...Umm, hello; I kinda got lost here..." she states; "I got told to go somewhere and then got lost, then told to go here... I think, this place is confusing... and smells funny."

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 07:53 »

"You don't say," Roshal muttered as he checked his DataLink after strapping his uniform on. 

"Who are you?  Have you talked to the CO yet?  More importantly, are you part of this little sortie?  'Cause if you are, maybe you can convince sarge here to give us some BlastPacks to do what we were tasked to do."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 07:55 by thelaptop »

Gargulec

• High Priest of the Forge
  • Local Inquisitor
  • Brigadier General
  • Believe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49 »

'Matt DeReeve and Roshal Lambert?' asked a tall, aged man entering the office. His face was covered in scars, and his voice, just as one would expect from his look, was harsh and raspy. 'I was told to meet you here.'
And greater honour is well due to them
when they foresee (and many of them foresee)
that in the end Ephialtes will appear,
that after all the Persian shall break through.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13